Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mcgehee deserves a plaque.

Featured Replies

If his approach is so successful with .RISP, why can't he maintain it when there's no one on base? Wouldn't you want to be successful all the time?

 

That's kind of my point as to why, in theory, every player should be better with RISP. There's more pressure on the pitcher, there's more predictability of pitch, location, etc. As a hitter you have quite a few advantages.

 

When nobody is on base, what's your advantage? You have no leverage in this situation, so the pitcher can throw anything, in any count, anywhere. Obviously this makes things more difficult.

That's kind of my point as to why, in theory, every player should be better with RISP. There's more pressure on the pitcher, there's more predictability of pitch, location, etc. As a hitter you have quite a few advantages.

 

When nobody is on base, what's your advantage? You have no leverage in this situation, so the pitcher can throw anything, in any count, anywhere. Obviously this makes things more difficult.

 

I don't know if this is true. I would guess it's not.

I don't know if this is true. I would guess it's not.

What makes you say that? Of course there's more pressure on the pitcher with runners in scoring position, especially close and late. The predictability of pitches and pitch location depends upon the exact situation, but I can 100% guarantee hitters see more fastballs in said situations, and for that reason alone pitchers will become more predictable and hitters should be more successful.

What makes you say that? Of course there's more pressure on the pitcher with runners in scoring position, especially close and late. The predictability of pitches and pitch location depends upon the exact situation, but I can 100% guarantee hitters see more fastballs in said situations, and for that reason alone hitters should be more successful.

 

I doubt that there's a way you could prove that, but I'd be interested in seeing that.

 

If there's more pressure on the pitcher, I'd say it's minimal. There should be pressure on the hitter, too. And the hitter has to do one of the toughest things in sports -- hit a baseball.

 

If there is so much more pressure on the pitcher, every hitter (or at least most) would be more successful with .RISP. As you've already stated yourself, that is not the case.

I doubt that there's a way you could prove that, but I'd be interested in seeing that.

 

If there's more pressure on the pitcher, I'd say it's minimal. There should be pressure on the hitter, too. And the hitter has to do one of the toughest things in sports -- hit a baseball.

 

If there is so much more pressure on the pitcher, every hitter (or at least most) would be more successful with .RISP. As you've already stated yourself, that is not the case.

 

I wonder if there's a way we could find that out. But think about some different scenarios; men on first and second, nowhere to put the batter, pitcher is gonna throw fastballs and he's gonna throw strikes. Bases loaded, obvious. Man on second, or men on second and third, you throw your secondary pitch (slider, curve) and it gets away from the catcher it could cost you a run or the game. FASTBALLS, FASTBALLS, FASTBALLS. Pounding the strike zone.

 

Unfortunately it's not as easy as I make it sound, hence why I said "in theory".

 

If I'm a hitter in that situation, I'm calm, collected, trying to put the ball in play but only if it's MY pitch; exactly what McGehee has done (and Stanton for that matter). You make contact, and good things are bound to happen.

Well, it depends on the hitter, too. When Stanton has nobody on, he usually gets more fastballs (from my observations), but with runners on, they go right to his weakness of sliders low and away. They're fine with giving up the one run homer.

Well, it depends on the hitter, too. When Stanton has nobody on, he usually gets more fastballs (from my observations), but with runners on, they go right to his weakness of sliders low and away. They're fine with giving up the one run homer.

And I agree with this as well, however, most hitters aren't Stanton. He would be the exception to the rule. Most pitchers think they can beat most hitters and in those high leverage situations they're trying to go after guys.

I wonder if there's a way we could find that out. But think about some different scenarios; men on first and second, nowhere to put the batter, pitcher is gonna throw fastballs and he's gonna throw strikes. Bases loaded, obvious. Man on second, or men on second and third, you throw your secondary pitch (slider, curve) and it gets away from the catcher it could cost you a run or the game. FASTBALLS, FASTBALLS, FASTBALLS. Pounding the strike zone.

 

Unfortunately it's not as easy as I make it sound, hence why I said "in theory".

 

If I'm a hitter in that situation, I'm calm, collected, trying to put the ball in play but only if it's MY pitch; exactly what McGehee has done (and Stanton for that matter). You make contact, and good things are bound to happen.

 

If you're a hitter in that situation, you probably wouldn't hit the ball. :p

 

The reality is that pitchers still throw their off speed pitches with men on base. If anything, I would guess they actually throw their off speed pitches at around the same rate if not more often. Most catchers in the big leagues can block a ball in the dirt and they're trusted to do so. The pitch usage doesn't change as dramatically as you seem to think. Pitchers are going to try and throw their best pitch as they always do.

If you're a hitter in that situation, you probably wouldn't hit the ball. :p

 

The reality is that pitchers still throw their off speed pitches with men on base. If anything, I would guess they actually throw their off speed pitches at around the same rate if not more often. Most catchers in the big leagues can block a ball in the dirt and they're trusted to do so. The pitch usage doesn't change as dramatically as you seem to think. Pitchers are going to try and throw their best pitch as they always do.

You're 100% right, pitchers are not going to completely abandon their arsenal, especially if you give them a chance to get you out. As I said, the approach can change pitch by pitch. If I get behind 0-2, I certainly am not "expecting" the fastball with RISP I'm expecting this guys put away pitch with 2 outs, or a pitch to draw weak contact with less than two outs in a double play scenario. But I would think most pitchers are going to throw their most reliable pitch, not necessarily their best pitch. Because you can't afford a walk or a hanger (just ask Mike Dunn). Your most reliable pitch is usually the fastball regardless of pitcher.

 

Now I'm that hitter overthinking the scenario! Damnit :p

There are players who have made the HOF because of their ability to hit with RISP. This is not a new concept, actually teams look for these kind of players often seem to be impossible outs when RISP. They are like sharks smelling blood in the water. McGehee has been that guy so far. Lets enjoy it while we can

Maybe Casey Mcgehee is a really cool guy who says "f*** it, I don't feel like hitting now because no one is on," I don't know. I've never been inside his mind. And maybe he simply is a better hitter with men on base. Quite frankly, you can look at career numbers and say that because he's actually been better with men on base his whole career.

 

 

He doesn't necessarily have to say it or think it. It could just be that applied pressure on him. When the pressure is off he might overthink an AB. Or he might be trying to take pitches. Who knows...

 

Anyways, I'm not picking a side on the argument. I'm not saying what I said is necessarily true, I just don't think it's supposed to be as simple as stamping it unsustainable without really considering everything.

There are players who have made the HOF because of their ability to hit with RISP. This is not a new concept, actually teams look for these kind of players often seem to be impossible outs when RISP. They are like sharks smelling blood in the water. McGehee has been that guy so far. Lets enjoy it while we can

 

Like?

The idea that hitters have a statistical advantage over the pitcher in situations with RISP vs. bases empty is pretty easy to dismiss. If you look differentials of offensive statistics with RISP vs. not for entire teams (much larger sample sizes), you will generally find little difference at all. I'd expect that if you compile a long list, the differential would be about zero.

  • Author

Why in the world would you guys take a thread about praising McGhee and his success at clutch moments, and turn it negative by implying he should be better with no one on base and focusing on how his numbers are unsustainable.

 

Can't you guys enjoy a win? And a long hot streak for that matter?

Why in the world would you guys take a thread about praising McGhee and his success at clutch moments, and turn it negative by implying he should be better with no one on base and focusing on how his numbers are unsustainable.

 

Can't you guys enjoy a win? And a long hot streak for that matter?

 

It's called having an actual discussion. Simply "enjoying a win" is boring as hell. Who wants to do that?

  • Author

It's called having an actual discussion. Simply "enjoying a win" is boring as hell. Who wants to do that?

Lol. I just don't get it. Hate on the guy who is coming through time and time again, putting up the most consistent numbers. While people like Mathis and until recently, Hech, are also on the team and can't come through whether people are on base or not.

Lol. I just don't get it. Hate on the guy who is coming through time and time again, putting up the most consistent numbers. While people like Mathis and until recently, Hech, are also on the team and can't come through whether people are on base or not.

 

Nobody is hating on McGehee here. If anything, people are hating on Wild Card for saying something dumb.

Why in the world would you guys take a thread about praising McGhee and his success at clutch moments, and turn it negative by implying he should be better with no one on base and focusing on how his numbers are unsustainable.

 

Can't you guys enjoy a win? And a long hot streak for that matter?

Because it's in their nature to be negative. They enjoy depressing issues. In reality, they're really upset the team is above 500 since they were expecting a plethora of negative threads. Since the team is doing better than expected, they are making sure they inject a certain level of negativity to make the rest of us join in their misery.

 

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I like Wild Card. Don't agree with what he's saying but good guy. Mcgehee has been OK but hopefully we get more power from 3rd base next year.

I like Wild Card. Don't agree with what he's saying but good guy. Mcgehee has been OK but hopefully we get more power from 3rd base next year.

Our 3rd baseman next year SHOULD be McGehee. He's not a free agent after the season.

Lol. I just don't get it. Hate on the guy who is coming through time and time again, putting up the most consistent numbers. While people like Mathis and until recently, Hech, are also on the team and can't come through whether people are on base or not.

 

Yeah, this is true. We all love Mathis and Hech.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.