Cishek as closer

We've converted 3 of our 10 save chances for a whopping 30% conversion rate. League average is 68%. NYM lead the league with 93.75% conversion rate having converted 16 out of 17 chances. Also shows how so many of their games are close. Haven't seen a team always able to score just enough to win a game and always close it out in a long time. They have what 19 wins? And 16 of them were save situations. That's nuts. We have 14 wins and 3 were saves and another was a walkoff.

Basically if we had Familia and NYM had Cishek we'd have 21 wins and NYM would be hanging out with Philly in the standings.

What I'm not understanding is how we have 7 blown saves and only 3 were Cishek blowing them. Who blew the other 4? Need to do some digging.

We've converted 3 of our 10 save chances for a whopping 30% conversion rate. League average is 68%. NYM lead the league with 93.75% conversion rate having converted 16 out of 17 chances. Also shows how so many of their games are close. Haven't seen a team always able to score just enough to win a game and always close it out in a long time. They have what 19 wins? And 16 of them were save situations. That's nuts. We have 14 wins and 3 were saves and another was a walkoff.

Basically if we had Familia and NYM had Cishek we'd have 21 wins and NYM would be hanging out with Philly in the standings.

What I'm not understanding is how we have 7 blown saves and only 3 were Cishek blowing them. Who blew the other 4? Need to do some digging.

​The blown save stat doesn't only count games blown in the ninth inning. If we're winning in the 8th and Ramos/Dunn/Dyson/Morris gives up the lead, then it is a blown save to whomever is on the mound.

Cishek has 3

Ramos has 2

Morris has 1

Dyson has 1

Guest Vince0926
Basically its not all on Cishek, our bullpen has been troublesome and the search for help could be a sad search.

What determines if someone is "major league " ready? Bring up these nicolino and wittgren guys. How worse can it really be? Someone I have never seen before > brad hand for example

Help could be had in AAA with Wittgren and Capps.  Also, as I mentioned earlier I really believe Koehler would be really good in the bullpen.  Someone is going to have to go to the bullpen when HA comes back next week and I don't think it will be Phelps.  That means it has to be Koehler.  

Our bullpen has struggled as a whole but the problem is that Cishek is the only one that has been consistently bad. With the exception of Massett I really like all of the arms in the pen, and to an extent they have all had success for us.  The pen wasn't really an issue last year after Morris was picked up, and Dyson and Hatcher were promoted.  If we resolve the closer role then I think the rest will fall in place.

​The blown save stat doesn't only count games blown in the ninth inning. If we're winning in the 8th and Ramos/Dunn/Dyson/Morris gives up the lead, then it is a blown save to whomever is on the mound.

Cishek has 3

Ramos has 2

Morris has 1

Dyson has 1

So then give it to Masset?

Help could be had in AAA with Wittgren and Capps.  Also, as I mentioned earlier I really believe Koehler would be really good in the bullpen.  Someone is going to have to go to the bullpen when HA comes back next week and I don't think it will be Phelps.  That means it has to be Koehler.  

Our bullpen has struggled as a whole but the problem is that Cishek is the only one that has been consistently bad. With the exception of Massett I really like all of the arms in the pen, and to an extent they have all had success for us.  The pen wasn't really an issue last year after Morris was picked up, and Dyson and Hatcher were promoted.  If we resolve the closer role then I think the rest will fall in place.

​It SHOULDN'T be Phelps, but it probably will be because Redmond. Koehler has "experience" and "poise" and "presence" whereas Phelps was just "doing the job we asked of him" and "making the best of an opportunity"

So then give it to Masset?

​Meh, blown saves aren't particularly useful stats outside of closers. Most of these guys come into close games, so any time they give up a run it is likely to be a blown save. Ramos would be an excellent closer, he has the swing and miss stuff that you want from someone in that spot. His walks are an issue, but they wouldn't be as bad since he'd get to start off innings as opposed to coming into them with runners possibly already on base.

What's with the Massive boner on these forums, anyway? Dude is a flyball pitcher who doesn't strike anybody out and walks almost four batters per nine innings. That's the last thing you want coming into a close game.

​Because that's how Admin likes them!