Baker to DL, McGehee officially signed

Admin

So is Prado's injury worse than previously diagnosed? He's sat the last couple days on his rehab assignment, just wondering if this is the real reason for picking up McGehee again.

Nope.  He will play during the All-Star break in the field. 

Martin Prado could return to lineup on Sunday; Henderson Alvarez on brink of rehab stint, Jose Fernandez to make first start after break, plus more Marlins news and notesThe Marlins might not have to wait until after the All-Star break to welcome the return of third baseman Martin Prado. He could be back with them on Sunday.

"There's a chance he could be in the lineup (Sunday)," said manager Dan Jennings. "I think Martin's ready. I think his bat's ready."

Prado has been on the disabled list since June 15 with a right shoulder sprain.

Henderson Alvarez will likely begin a minor-league rehab assignment with Single A Jupiter on either Sunday or Monday. Alvarez, who has been on the DL since May 23 with right shoulder inflammation, threw a bullpen session on Friday.

Jennings said Alvarez would start out by throwing 45 pitches for the Hammerheads.

"Everything's positive, trending the right way," Jennings said of Alvarez, the Marlins' Opening Day starter. "I think we're moving in a big hurry towards him beginning his rehab -- Sunday or Monday -- in Jupiter."

Jose Fernandez will get the first start after the All-Star break for the Marlins. Beyond that, the rotation becomes murky, mainly due to the uncertainty surrounding Mat Latos. Latos was scratched from Saturday's start against the Reds due to bruising and swelling on his right foot.

Latos said he thinks he'll be OK to pitch after the All-Star break.

"Nothing's broken, so nothing's serious," Latos said.

Latos was sitting in the dugout during Thursday's game when a foul ball off the bat of Christian Yelich struck his foot.

"Got hit in the toes," Latos said. "It sounds styupid just to say it, but it it what it is They're just really swollen. The whole underneath of both my toes are black and blue. If I can't walk, I can't pitch."

Latos has battled numerous injuries this season. Asked if the rash of injuries have made this a frustrating season for him, Latos replied:  "Its actually kind of comical when you look at it. Im in the dugout watching a ballgame and I get hit with a line drive on my toes. What else can I do other than stay in (the clubhouse during the game) or wrap myself in bubble wrap and sit in the dugout?"

The Marlins called up left-hander Adam Conley from Triple A New Orleans to make the emergency start Saturday. Conley, who was up with the Marlins briefly earlier in the season and made one relief outing, will be making his first major-league start today.

Backup infielder Don Kelly, who has been on the disabled list since April with a broken finger, revealed Saturday that he has a "significant tear" in his right elbow and is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews on Monday. Tommy John surgery is a possibility.

Kelly said he was playing through elbow discomfort before a ground ball broke his finger.

"If it was (just) the finger, I probably would have been back in four weeks," Kelly said. "When I came back from the finger, we got an MRI (on the elbow) and had a significant tear."

Casey McGehee, who doubled off the wall in a pinch-at-bat on Friday in his first game back for the Marlins, is starting at third base for them today.