Jose Fernandez Rumor

Jokersgoon

Correa won't be traded. Houston probably has the pieces to get him without dealing Correa. 

Fish requests from other teams so far indicate otherwise

That Miggy trade looked can't miss, too.

It did but they were still guys with lots of potential. Here they want young controlled guys with proven track records

The Astros might have the best farm system in baseball.

I think a package starting with Springer/McCullers would be the start. It won't be Correa though. He probably has more trade value than Fernandez at this point. Fernandez/Correa would be a 1-for-1 deal which would make no sense. 

Houston has the OF we want (Springer...they wanted him since the Stanton rumors), a very good young pitcher who's proven himself in limited time in the big leagues (McCullers) + a lot of pitching depth and a lot of prospects in general. 

I was surprised they hadn't been mentioned in any recent rumors before today because they have a lot of young players and are ready to contend. They'll make a big trade at some point, not sure if it'll be for Jose obviously. 

This is actually sad.  We shouldn't have to trade away talents like Jose and Miggy.

True but since we know he won't stay, if a team wants to overpay you have to do it.

I get the not "shopping" him part but I believe everybody would agree; even when the phone rings and they offer you x,y & Z, your response should "he's not available", the reports are saying otherwise. In fact, they're saying what the Marlins would expect in return.  Not being "shopped", "not available", all this leads me to believe the dude is being sought after and they Marlins are entertaining offers...

I get the not "shopping" him part but I believe everybody would agree; even when the phone rings and they offer you x,y & Z, your response should "he's not available", the reports are saying otherwise

So going off my earlier post, you'd hang up the phone if the Angels said we'll send Trout over and pay his salary?

That'd be a dumb way to run a team. If a team agrees to an absurd deal, there's no reason not to consider it. Everyone/everything has a price. That being said, it remains unlikely a team steps up and agrees to a deal like that anyway.

That'd be a dumb way to run a team. If a team agrees to an absurd deal, there's no reason not to listen to it.

And 'Dumb" would be the kind way to illustrate how this organization has been ran for the past 12 years..

Like someone had mentioned, I'm sure those packages being offered to us could be offered to at least 5 other guys around the league that are at or above Jose's level.  Difference is, those team's are making sure their young talent is truly and genuinely not available. 

This is completely on the Marlins.

...if they opened the wallet and took a risk on their own money instead of using us...we wouldnt need to gamble on POTENTIALLY division altering trades.

That Miggy trade looked can't miss, too.

Well, I mean, at the time, it was. Maybin and Miller were two blue-chip prospects. Not the Marlins' fault that both of them bombed in Florida.

And 'Dumb" would be the kind way to illustrate how this organization has been ran for the past 12 years..

Like someone had mentioned, I'm sure those packages being offered to us could be offered to at least 5 other guys around the league that are at or above Jose's level.  Difference is, those team's are making sure their young talent is truly and genuinely not available. 

And you know this how? Have you talked to every front office around the league?

And you know this how? Have you talked to every front office around the league?

Its simple, how many reports/sources are leaking that Trout is sought after by this team or that Kris Bryan is being sought after by that team. You know why you don't see those reports? Its because they're not available...  Yeah, maybe one team is like "hey the Marlins are willing to take x,y & z, would you be interested in the same package" but again its unrealistic that a team would send Trout for Jose, if you think that's actually possible, we're on different planets as far we're concerned.

its unrealistic that a team would send Trout for Jose, if you think that's actually possible, we're on different planets as far we're concerned.

Obviously it wouldn't happen, that was my entire point. But it being offered wouldn't mean Miami was trying to trade Jose or was shopping him. However, they'd listen to it.

Its simple, how many reports/sources are leaking that Trout is sought after by this team or that Kris Bryan is being sought after by that team. You know why you don't see those reports? Its because they're not available...  Yeah, maybe one team is like "hey the Marlins are willing to take x,y & z, would you be interested in the same package" but again its unrealistic that a team would send Trout for Jose, if you think that's actually possible, we're on different planets as far we're concerned.

Yeah you're right. Teams never, ever take phone calls on superstar players, and superstar players never, ever get shopped/traded.

EVERYONE in the league is available for the right price. General managers and executives wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't at least listen to offers.

EVERYONE in the league is available for the right price. General managers and executives wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't at least listen to offers.

Fact

I agree.  I don't see how they can get it done.  Correa isn't going anywhere not even for Fernandez.  They would have to center it around Springer and a bunch of pitching.  Not sure that the Astros have that kind of young pitching available.  I guess McCullers could also be included. They do have Bregman, Appel, and Cameron who are all top prospects but not MLB ready.  I still think the Dodgers would be the best match-up.

The Marlins do NOT want to trade Jose, he NEVER demanded a trade. His agent never forced a trade, all of these claims are false.

The only way they'd trade him is if a team overpays for him. This does NOT mean he's being shopped. They will NOT settle. Unless a team totally overpays, Jose WILL pitch on opening day for the fish.

Clear enough?

In talking with teams, could the Marlins merely be gauging the market to assess Fernandez's actual trade value for when that time comes? I posed that thought to one baseball insider with knowledge of the Marlins' thinking and was told this: "You're right on it."

When Hill was asked about Fernandez last night, with owner Jeffrey Loria and presidentDavid Samson sitting within earshot, he was emphatic. "He's not available."

That doesn't mean the Marlins aren't listening to what teams have to offer, or that they would automatically reject a bonanza haul for Fernandez. That would be foolish. But if the Marlins were really entertaining a trade for the pitcher, it's more likely Hill would have couched his comments to give himself and the Marlins some leeway if and when they deal their star.

and this from Clark Spencer, he must be as ignorant as me. Poor Clark

The Marlins do NOT want to trade Jose, he NEVER demanded a trade. His agent never forced a trade, all of these claims are false.

The only way they'd trade him is if a team overpays for him. This does NOT mean he's being shopped. They will NOT settle. Unless a team totally overpays, Jose WILL pitch on opening day for the fish.

Clear enough?

This should be clear as day to everyone on this forum. I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand.

If the Astros came to the Marlins and said, "Hey, we'll give you Correa, Springer and McCullers for Jose," the Marlins would be stupid not to at least have a conversation about it.

Clear enough?

Just to make it clear, I'm not opposed to him being traded. If it replenishes are depleted farm system and adds some MLB ready talent why not. I don't believe he's going to sign long term here. The only thing I was trying to say is; the whole thing about not be available is crap.  As you and @Valid essentially everyone is available until their not..