December 4, 201510 yr But for $100 million? I'm all for making a push for Samardzija, but for a reasonable amount. Giving a guy who posted a 4.96 ERA and 4.23 FIP last season (with scary GB/FB stats, as well) $100 million is an incredibly risky move. Agreed, thankfully the fish agree too
December 4, 201510 yr JOHN LACKEY PLEASEEE! A dude like that at the end of his career who is going to get a 1-2 year deal isn't joining the circus
December 4, 201510 yr JOHN LACKEY PLEASEEE! that scumbag who hand his wife divorce papers while she was going thru chemo?
December 4, 201510 yr that scumbag who hand his wife divorce papers while she was going thru chemo? I second this. I don't like lackey for that
December 4, 201510 yr Keep an eye on Clifton Phifer Lee I could see the Marlins signing someone like him. How many years you think?
December 4, 201510 yr I could see the Marlins signing someone like him. How many years you think? I could see him getting a few offers from around the league, but I doubt anyone would offer him more than two years. By the end of the 2017 season he'll be 40.
December 4, 201510 yr I could see the Marlins signing someone like him. How many years you think? 1 year with big incentives would be nice
December 4, 201510 yr I'm down for Cliffy. We're not going to be dishing much money out on pitching and I think he has a decent chance to come back pitching well if he's healthy. Big if though which is why his contract has to be filled with incentives.
December 4, 201510 yr 1 year with big incentives would be nice Incentives include bonuses for 1. Not passing out circus memorabilia in the locker room, including music and costumes. 2. Not complaining when you are traded 3. Not liking Tommy Hutton 4. Not having Scott Boras as an agent 5. Showing up.
December 4, 201510 yr As FA prices rise, Lackey is becoming increasingly attractive to #Cubs on two-year deal. Friendship with Lester helps, but others also in. — Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 4, 2015
December 4, 201510 yr frisaro just mentioned the marlins would only trade Ozuna "for a starter or high-end reliever." If they actually traded Ozuna for just a RP, I don't care which one....
December 4, 201510 yr frisaro just mentioned the marlins would only trade Ozuna "for a starter or high-end reliever." If they actually traded Ozuna for just a RP, I don't care which one.... It would have to be very high-end as in like Betances
December 4, 201510 yr It would have to be very high-end as in like Betances still would be ridiculous. why does everyone forget that we have carter fricken capps
December 4, 201510 yr still would be ridiculous. why does everyone forget that we have carter fricken capps I didn't forget...
December 4, 201510 yr frisaro just mentioned the marlins would only trade Ozuna "for a starter or high-end reliever." If they actually traded Ozuna for just a RP, I don't care which one.... I will rage.
December 5, 201510 yr I just read where there are 10 teams interested in Henderson Alvarez. With the pitching market being what it is, saving $4 million dollars on Alvarez this season was a stupid reason to dump Alvarez. The way the market is shaping up, it is doubtful that the Marlins are going to be able to sign a quality free agent pitcher at all this off season. I just don't see them spending $20 million a year on a pitcher, and to sign a mediocre pitcher for $15 million won't make much sense either. With that said I also read that teams are inquiring on not only Ozuna but Ramos, and Prado as well. I think that by now they realize that Ozuna alone is not going to bring them that young controllable top of the rotation guy that they seek. If the Marlins are smart, which has not been the case lately, they would really consider trading both Ramos and Prado this off season in order to address our rotation problems. We have plenty of bullpen depth and I think Dietrich can handle 3B with Rojas as a late inning defensive replacement. Obviously those guys aren't going to bring back a top of the rotation talent either but maybe they can net us a quality #3 pitcher to bolster the rotation. I know that the Angels are in need of a 3B so maybe we can send them Prado and a smaller piece for Hector Santiago. I would even approach the Orioles to see if Ubaldo Jimenez would be available in a trade. Neither of those two guys are # 2 types but they would easily slot in behind Jose Fernandez in our rotation. I would also approach the Rays about Odorizzi to see if he's available. The Rays outfield is not good and maybe and Ozuna for Odorizzi would make some sense. I'm sure other pieces would have to be involved to get a deal done, but Odorizzi is at least young and controllable and has plenty of upside. I guess my point is that the Marlins are going to have to think outside of the box in order to acquire the starting pitching that we need. I really don't trust them to make any good moves this off season but I guess that I am just being hopeful. Thoughts???
December 5, 201510 yr even if Alvarez comes back in June and puts up a 4ERA over the next 3 months, it was dumb to let him go for that price. outside of spending tens of millions of dollars, the rotation is pretty unfixable at this point IMO. Ozuna and Ramos make this team better and shouldn't be traded for a middlerotation-back end pitcher
December 5, 201510 yr I just read where there are 10 teams interested in Henderson Alvarez. With the pitching market being what it is, saving $4 million dollars on Alvarez this season was a stupid reason to dump Alvarez. The way the market is shaping up, it is doubtful that the Marlins are going to be able to sign a quality free agent pitcher at all this off season. I just don't see them spending $20 million a year on a pitcher, and to sign a mediocre pitcher for $15 million won't make much sense either. With that said I also read that teams are inquiring on not only Ozuna but Ramos, and Prado as well. I think that by now they realize that Ozuna alone is not going to bring them that young controllable top of the rotation guy that they seek. If the Marlins are smart, which has not been the case lately, they would really consider trading both Ramos and Prado this off season in order to address our rotation problems. We have plenty of bullpen depth and I think Dietrich can handle 3B with Rojas as a late inning defensive replacement. Obviously those guys aren't going to bring back a top of the rotation talent either but maybe they can net us a quality #3 pitcher to bolster the rotation. I know that the Angels are in need of a 3B so maybe we can send them Prado and a smaller piece for Hector Santiago. I would even approach the Orioles to see if Ubaldo Jimenez would be available in a trade. Neither of those two guys are # 2 types but they would easily slot in behind Jose Fernandez in our rotation. I would also approach the Rays about Odorizzi to see if he's available. The Rays outfield is not good and maybe and Ozuna for Odorizzi would make some sense. I'm sure other pieces would have to be involved to get a deal done, but Odorizzi is at least young and controllable and has plenty of upside. I guess my point is that the Marlins are going to have to think outside of the box in order to acquire the starting pitching that we need. I really don't trust them to make any good moves this off season but I guess that I am just being hopeful. Thoughts??? If loria doesnt spend the money, this season go bye bye.
December 5, 201510 yr Id have the best product on the field before the miami all star game, but hey, not my money.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.