Fish tried to trade for Chapman

Admin

a one year rental on chapman only makes sense for a team that 1) has SP and 2) plans on competing 

Not at all.

1. You don't give up on the season before it starts. The Marlins have a very talented core of position players. Add another SP or two with Chapman/Ramos/Capps at the backend of the pen, you never know. The Royals rotation wasn't exactly stellar this past year.

2. If the team sucks, you can always trade Chapman at the deadline. Probably for better prospects since relievers usually go for more at the trade deadline & Chapman is the best of the best.

3. The Yankees just made a trade they can't lose. Even if they don't win (by the way, the Yankees' rotation has its own question marks) and Chapman leaves after the year, the compensation pick has a chance to be better than the replaceable pieces the Yankees gave up.

It's a great value move. It's a move that a smart team takes a chance on. Add Chapman to the team and add a second-tier starter (like Kennedy), maybe another starter for depth, and the team can compete. It would at least have a chance to win the wildcard, maybe more if everything goes right. Our position players are talented. Instead, they did nothing. Again. 

Not at all.

1. You don't give up on the season before it starts. The Marlins have a very talented core of position players. Add another SP or two with Chapman/Ramos/Capps at the backend of the pen, you never know. The Royals rotation wasn't exactly stellar this past year.

2. If the team sucks, you can always trade Chapman at the deadline. Probably for better prospects since relievers usually go for more at the trade deadline & Chapman is the best of the best.

3. The Yankees just made a trade they can't lose. Even if they don't win (by the way, the Yankees' rotation has its own question marks) and Chapman leaves after the year, the compensation pick has a chance to be better than the replaceable pieces the Yankees gave up.

It's a great value move. It's a move that a smart team takes a chance on. Add Chapman to the team and add a second-tier starter (like Kennedy), maybe another starter for depth, and the team can compete. It would at least have a chance to win the wildcard, maybe more if everything goes right. Our position players are talented. Instead, they did nothing. Again. 

It's an awesome move for the yanks, no doubt. I would have loved Capps/Chapman. The thing is our farm system is so bad we still couldn't even come close to surpassing that group of B-/C prospects that the yanks gave up. It'd take like Naylor or Kolek or something like that. 

Royals rotation actually was a bunch of #3s/4s (and if i recall they were the rotation samson compared our current crop too) and besides jose (obviously) are far far better than the marlins.

It's an awesome move for the yanks, no doubt. I would have loved Capps/Chapman. The thing is our farm system is so bad we still couldn't even come close to surpassing that group of B-/C prospects that the yanks gave up. It'd take like Naylor or Kolek or something like that. 

Royals rotation actually was a bunch of #3s/4s (and if i recall they were the rotation samson compared our current crop too) and besides jose (obviously) are far far better than the marlins.

The Royals rotation looked better than it was because of the pen and their stellar defense. 

As for what we could have given up, you could be right. However, it was basically Chapman for Rookie/Jagielo. The other two guys are pretty much trash. 

Our farm system is not good, but we probably could've beaten that offer. It was really an underwhelming return for the Reds. I'm guessing they liked Jagielo because he can play 3B, but most scouts seem to think he won't even stay there long-term. 

Thus, it was basically Chapman for a potential mid-rotation arm and a potential bat. We have that. 

For what it's worth, it's nice to know that they at least tried to acquire Chapman. It's disappointing they failed, but I guess I'll give them credit for pursuing it. Still sucks because I think we could've offered better. I also think it's a no risk/high reward move. Great move for the Yankees. One of the best moves of the offseason, second to our signing of Jeff Mathis. 

seriously how could we have beaten Rookie/Jagielo?

Urena/Naylor

+ our depth of relievers is way more interesting than the spare parts they got from the Yankees. We have a bunch of relievers who are way more interesting than 28-year-old Caleb Gotham for example. 

Urena/Naylor

+ our depth of relievers is way more interesting than the spare parts they got from the Yankees. We have a bunch of relievers who are way more interesting than 28-year-old Caleb Gotham for example. 

I hear ya. I wonder if teams actually value Naylor like the marlins do. But yeah, I'd have been cool with that is if they actually signed kennedy and sayyyyyy Maeda! :p  (I do not expect either)