Pokemon Go

Last question then I'll stop pretending like I care... Is there any reason to the locations or is just random? Seems like there's no purpose or strategy to this.

I don't play it either but I think the locations of the gyms are public places like parks and churches while the pokemon just appear at random.

I'm losing interest in this game because of how much dumb luck is necessary. You can find a Pokemon, train it, and then 2 days later find a stronger version of it in the wild. It's pointless.

And it doesn't work half the fucking time. Fuck this shit.

I'm losing interest in this game because of how much dumb luck is necessary. You can find a Pokemon, train it, and then 2 days later find a stronger version of it in the wild. It's pointless.

Man that died off quick

I refused to play it the minute I realized it was a game that earns its money based upon micro transactions. Fuck that "pray on the weak" mentality. Akin to triggering gambling addictions, I find that business model to be so unethical and also simultaneously feel it takes away the value of competitiveness and replaces it with "who wants to spend more money faster."

I refused to play it the minute I realized it was a game that earns its money based upon micro transactions. Fuck that "pray on the weak" mentality. Akin to triggering gambling addictions, I find that business model to be so unethical and also simultaneously feel it takes away the value of competitiveness and replaces it with "who wants to spend more money faster."

Truthfully, I hate that micro transaction crap too and will never spend a penny on them, I agree the "who wants to spend more money" idea is horrible and ruins the integrity of playing the game...but holy shit that business model is smart. I can't blame them from a business sense because so many people are stupid enough to spend that money. It makes me wanna invent a game like that too.

I hate when you have to buy the items to advance in a game. I think its ok when you can do everything and get everything playing for free, it just will take you longer and with more effort. Everything should be available for free, and just easier to obtain if you want to pay. From what I understand Pokemon Go allows you to get everything without paying, it'll just take more effort.

I hate when you have to buy the items to advance in a game. I think its ok when you can do everything and get everything playing for free, it just will take you longer and with more effort. Everything should be available for free, and just easier to obtain if you want to pay. From what I understand Pokemon Go allows you to get everything without paying, it'll just take more effort.

This is what most microtransactions are nowadays. Clash of Clans perfected this back in the day, making 1.5M/day for a while. You can wait 6 days for a unit to update (no lie)... or you can pay $ .99 worth of arbitrary coins to update immediately. 

This is what most microtransactions are nowadays. Clash of Clans perfected this back in the day, making 1.5M/day for a while. You can wait 6 days for a unit to update (no lie)... or you can pay $ .99 worth of arbitrary coins to update immediately. 

You guys think this is the equivalent to "not having to pay for it?"

you mustn't be competitive. In order to be competitive, yes, you have to pay for it. 

So what's the conclusion there? The best players are those who pay the most. 

Kills competition. The most skilled of players are not necessarily the ones willing to play. There is no legitimate competitiveness or hierarchy. 

So what's the alternative? Charge $15 to download the game?

So what's the alternative? Charge $15 to download the game?

I'm not debating business. Obviously this is a super successful business model. I see it as unethical, but not necessarily like it should be illegal. Just, wrong, in my opinion.

But, yeah, either a subscription or a regular game purchase is what I believe keeps games interesting. 

A level playing field is nice, like Call of Duty for instance. Its 60 bucks to buy it when it comes out but everyone is using the same game. As far as I know, you can't buy extras to make yourself better. You have to play the game to get better. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think anyway.

Some games aren't really competitive. And this is coming from a former "pro gamer" that went to LAN tournaments and played in online leagues. If the userbase is made up of mostly casuals, then some pay items are no big deal on a free game. But if the game is inherently competitive, pay to win is shit and should be wiped off the planet.

Competitiveness doesn't have to be literal, nor inherent to the game. I personally see it as rewarding when you do something in a game that makes you stand out. Many people subconsciously probably appreciate the same thing. 

Here's another great example of a broken competitive game: the initial model of Elder Scrolls Online. The item drop system in the game was so un-unique that practically everyone had the same items. Quest lines were boring, slow, and underdeveloped. They were just run-from-point-A-to-B-and-back. Collect your gold. Get the similar drops that everyone else gets. There was minimal room for individual skill to play a role in your actual success in the game. The result? The best players were merely those who played the *most*. Whoever logged more hours in the game was better. Now, I'm generalizing a little bit here, but that game also had a microtransaction model. So, the best players were the ones who bought their way to the top or just grinded for days not actually playing real content. 

Great for business, but absolutely takes away from content. Not good for the future of games. 

A level playing field is nice, like Call of Duty for instance. Its 60 bucks to buy it when it comes out but everyone is using the same game. As far as I know, you can't buy extras to make yourself better. You have to play the game to get better. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think anyway.

Nowadays in games like CoD, it's not primarily microtransaction based, but actually you can do microtransactions to get better load outs and weapons that you would otherwise have to play a lot and gain XP to unlock. I'm not positive as I stopped playing after MW3, but I'm fairly certain this is what they do now. 

Nowadays in games like CoD, it's not primarily microtransaction based, but actually you can do microtransactions to get better load outs and weapons that you would otherwise have to play a lot and gain XP to unlock. I'm not positive as I stopped playing after MW3, but I'm fairly certain this is what they do now. 

Well this may explain why i get killed like crazy in it. That or I just suck.