Sale closed, Jeter/Sherman officially now run the team

SonOfJack

Outside of the general cutsie public relations language that will be said at the press conference I wonder how much of their immediate plan they'll actually reveal tomorrow. I wouldn't hold my breath for it but if Jeter has a clear plan to either rebuild or not he could flat out say it tomorrow without getting very detailed. And if he's doing something big like not trading Stanton he could easily say that and get the community behind him from day one. 

it'll likely be a lot of fluff and "we're going to really assess our group of guys and start planning for sustainable success going forward.  Currently the financial structure is unsustainable so there will be some tough decisions that will have to be made. (insert some buzz words here). Now, lets look at Jeter as he poses for the camera and makes fans forget all about the massive firesale coming.  The firesale will be run by none other than legendary Padres GM, Michael Hill so we can then fire him and make him take the blame as the 14 remaining fans bring pitchforks and torches to the park.  In other news, Stanton and Ozuna have been traded to the Yankees for a new 5th ave. condo for Mr. Jeter."

Gordan, Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Bour, and Realmuto. That's a contending core of a lineup. It's just that everything else is terrible. Some of the coaches I'd keep to, Perry Hill, the new hitting coach, definitely keep them. Surround them with some pitching, and they could do some damage.

But, I'm not holding out hope they will keep any of these guys, players or coaches. Even though I'm preparing for it, I don't know if I can deal with another fire sale. I'll probably not watch nearly as many games, at least until I see some hope of the direction the organization is going after they move those guys.

Listening to Jeter gave me no warm and fuzzy feeling. Little doubt to me the core will be broken up, Stanton will not want to come back, and to think Mike Hill will continue to stay and be an influential figure in player personnel decisions, and presumably in trades, with his track record, is a throw up event. Jeter is right that it will take years to make this team relevant. 

Jeter seemed really annoyed with the questions. Honestly the reporters were just asking questions we all wanted to know. I didn't hear hear Jeter's response to the HR sculpture though. The stream crashed on me as he was about to answer it. I will say that from his other answer it looks like he is gonna tear it down, although he doesn't like to use that word lol.

I'll throw my hat into the discussion, because Loria and his stooges nearly permanently killed my support for the team with the rebranding and subsequent personnel decisions.  A team I supported from the start, even through the fire sales and losing seasons.  A team I used to drive down from Orlando several times a year to see.  A team I used to buy hundreds of dollars of merch for.  A team that I used to come on this board and discuss daily.

I decided at the end of the 2014 season that I was done with them as long as Loria owned the team, and instead have been supporting my college team financially.  Haven't been down to a game since, and I got rid of most of my Marlins' crap.  I've watched a few games on TV here and there, but my overall love for baseball disappeared with my support for the Fish.

Now, however, I'm ready to come back into the fold.  I'm willing to take Sherman and Jeter at their word that they're committed to changing the culture and breathing life back into the franchise.  Even if it means yet another firesale and seeing Giancarlo leave, I think we almost need it to wipe the slate clean and remove Loria's stench.  This team MUST rise from the ashes.

I think the biggest impediment to that happening is Michael Hill.  If we're going to trade our major pieces, we need to get quality returns to collectively attempt to replace the lost production.  I don't want him anywhere near those decisions.

We shall see, but for the first time in years, I actually care about what happens.

I'll throw my hat into the discussion, because Loria and his stooges nearly permanently killed my support for the team with the rebranding and subsequent personnel decisions.  A team I supported from the start, even through the fire sales and losing seasons.  A team I used to drive down from Orlando several times a year to see.  A team I used to buy hundreds of dollars of merch for.  A team that I used to come on this board and discuss daily.

I decided at the end of the 2014 season that I was done with them as long as Loria owned the team, and instead have been supporting my college team financially.  Haven't been down to a game since, and I got rid of most of my Marlins' crap.  I've watched a few games on TV here and there, but my overall love for baseball disappeared with my support for the Fish.

Now, however, I'm ready to come back into the fold.  I'm willing to take Sherman and Jeter at their word that they're committed to changing the culture and breathing life back into the franchise.  Even if it means yet another firesale and seeing Giancarlo leave, I think we almost need it to wipe the slate clean and remove Loria's stench.  This team MUST rise from the ashes.

I think the biggest impediment to that happening is Michael Hill.  If we're going to trade our major pieces, we need to get quality returns to collectively attempt to replace the lost production.  I don't want him anywhere near those decisions.

We shall see, but for the first time in years, I actually care about what happens.

Welcome back! Posts like this are refreshing to see. Marlins fan through and through.