2017 Winter Meetings Thread

SilverBullet

Every other thread has seemingly run it's course or just gotten too detailed so I figure there will be enough news from the winter meetings that start tomorrow that a new thread fits here. Wanted to start with this tweet...

[ATTACH]1671._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Anyone wanna disagree? If all things were the same heading into tomorrow maybe it's right but so much of our downfall the last year was because of Jose's death so if we assume he was still alive I think many things may have changed and maybe this isn't such a drastic fire sale today.

For starters maybe we make the playoffs this year with Jose and then there was that report that Jose would have taken a home town discount to stay in Miami so maybe by now he has an extension with a NTC? Also Loria was on his way out but it's been said Jose's death accelerated that so maybe Loria would still be owner today and wouldn't have wanted a sell off just yet? 

Screenshot_20171210-151257.thumb.jpg.6656bfa9142e9ba71132552087dd4273.jpg

Yeah, way too many variables. This is akin to saying "it would have been a 2 run HR" after a guy hits a HR following a caught stealing. Pitch selection would've changed. You just can't know for sure it would have ended up the same if he didn't die.

As far as the meetings, they need to move Ozuna at least and hopefully several more. I don't want to delay the process.

Yeah, way too many variables. This is akin to saying "it would have been a 2 run HR" after a guy hits a HR following a caught stealing. Pitch selection would've changed. You just can't know for sure it would have ended up the same if he didn't die.

Lol this sounds like the guy who got caught stealing was killed at second base  

If Jose doesn't die there's no way they decide last year that the way to win is to go reliever-intensive. So probably no Tazawa and no Ziegler. I'm going to assume that they still buy Volquez as the #2. (Who knows, maybe they decide that they don't need to trade Castillo for Strailly!) Then maybe they don't start 14-27. If you consider that our replacement pitchers were beyond awful for most of the year, then Jose's baseline 4-5 WAR season and the extra 6-8 wins would have kept us pretty close to the playoffs most of the year. Then we're talking right now (well, a couple of weeks ago) about an 81-83 win team that needs a little bit more to get there, not a 77-win team that needs to be blown up.

It’s a weird feeling going into the Winter Meetings that we know with absolute certainty that the Marlins aren’t sniffing the playoffs for ANOTHER 2 full seasons.  

Bite into that shit sandwich and tell me how it tastes.

That sandwich tastes the same as it has for the last eight years except I saw the dessert menu beforehand and this time it looks like there's better things ahead. 

That's pretty interesting. They both have good value. But why would Yelich be upset? Don't tell me who is gonna pull a Stanton of 5 years ago and start pouting.

I've said this multiple times, Yelich and JT are the only guys position wise that should stay. Everyone else should be sold off. Granted that is just my opinion and if they are blown away with offers get rid of them. Ozuna has very good value right now and it has been reported a couple times that the Cardinals would really like Ozuna and that would be more of a baseball trade so to speak. I think for Ozuna the conversation should start with Jose Martinez.

Yelich was asked about a Stanton being shopped what 2 weeks ago? He said baseball is a business and he would just understand. What has changed since? The return? lmao

Interesting. Could be total BS though. How would anyone really even know this? Especially being the offseason, it's not Yelich and Ozuna are surrounded by reporters every night. If even the slightest bit true though it could just be blown out of proportion too. It doesn't mean Yelich would suddenly become a clubhouse problem especially since he never has been. 

Grain of salt on this one folks. 

Interesting. Could be total BS though. How would anyone really even know this? Especially being the offseason, it's not Yelich and Ozuna are surrounded by reporters every night. If even the slightest bit true though it could just be blown out of proportion too. It doesn't mean Yelich would suddenly become a clubhouse problem especially since he never has been. 

Grain of salt on this one folks. 

Maybe Mish is feeding off that emoji tweet that Yelich sent off after the Stanton trade was reported.