MLB Pipeline's Updated Top 100 Prospects: Brinson #27, Harrison #71

SilverBullet

So according to what you've said previously, you expect the Marlins to be in the top 3 or so after they trade Realmuto?

no, just like i showed you how you misquoted me previously, you are still misquoting me.  I said if they trade literally everyone they would be around that area.  Which includes Straily, Bour, Castro, Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Barraclough, and anyone else who im missing.

My point is that after you trade Realmuto, the last super valuable asset, I don't think trading the rest of those guys is going to move the needle much at all.

You aren't going to get much for Prado and Tazawa at all so don't even count them. I also think that Bour and Castro will only get so-so returns.

In short, you're delusional.

in short, like ive told you numerous times, youre entitled to your opinion and i dont care about your opinion.

Also, getting super valuable prospects are not the only thing that goes into those rankings.  Even if you get top 200 or mid level guys as opposed to top 100 prospects, that would improve the ranking as well.  I really dont care to get into this again and im perfectly cool just agreeing to disagree, just clarifying that Im not saying we would be getting big returns for guys like Castro.  

Agree on Tazawa though obviously, was just naming random veterans who would be dealt.

Well 19 sounds pretty good not barely four months into Jeter's attempts at rebuilding our foundation. 

Yup.  I know it's popular to bash Mike Hill, but the front office has done a really nice job replenishing the prospect base since the draft last year.  Obviously still middle of the pack, but so much more depth than we previously had going into last year.  

Anyway, 19 sounds about right.

I think it's a little low, but you're a toss up moving up a few slots. I think middle third is appropriate, doesn't matter where it falls. They should be be able to move up another 5-10 spots easily moving Realmuto, Straily, Bour, Castro, Barraclough, and Dietrich (probably everyone else is a dump/super highly volatile and wouldn't crack a top 25-30). Hopefully they get a real IFA too.

The interesting thing to me is the rankings are based on Alcantara/Guzman being relievers, and Rogers/Garret are basically unknowns as Rogers didn't pitch and Garret had the surgery. I'm not sure another team can count 4 of their top 6 prospects as undervalued. 

They are either going to really rocket up these rankings, or have one hell of a future bullpen in a year.

So the Marlins are going to acquire a bunch of guys who aren't even sniffing the top 100 list and that's going to elevate them from #19 to top 3?

K.

on top of the JT deal as well.  i know its tough to follow along with what i clearly already stated multiple times. 

Funny how you completely ignored my first post. I'm staying that's still insane and delusional to say that they would have a top 3 farm system after trading Realmuto plus everyone else.

Funny how you seem to ignore me saying that you're entitled to your opinion and that I really couldnt care less about it.

I think they're at or slightly above middle of the pack (like 15 plus or minus a couple) once they clean house with all of the valuable pieces. With Realmuto, Straily, and Barraclough being the most valuable pieces left. Certainly not top 3 as some people here suggest.

I'm not insistent that Alcantara becomes a reliever, but there is certainly enough concern among scouts about his future that it seems very possible that it's his fate. Again, maybe he becomes a decent back end of the rotation starter (not ruling that out), but I'm kind of miffed that he's rated as highly as he is.

MLB.com rankings (which I think are particularly bogus) have him as #3 in the system. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's a head scratcher. I'd rank Rogers and Garret above him in a heartbeat. So anyway, I don't think that Alcantara is overrated at all, but I suppose the other two might be.

Yea, we'll know a lot more after this season. I don't think it's anything to really worry about just yet.

I like this article - https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/1/24/16929958/miami-marlins-top-20-prospects-for-2018, which seems pretty fair to me, although I think Rogers and Garret are too low. Running 16 deep in "B" prospects and some pretty interesting guys after them (like Yamamoto who can't even get a write up, and Norwood who Sickels actually jumps into the message board and mentions a future write up is coming) is starting to develop some real depth and redundancy. They are going to get some good players out of this.

Personally, I'm not worried about the overall ranking. They just need to keep adding depth. This is probably where they are at on a reasonable longterm projection from what I've read:

C - ________

1B - ________; Fringe prospect in Cooper

2B - Diaz

SS - __________; Fringe - C. Torres, J. Devers, Riddle

3B - Anderson, Nelson, Dunand

OF - Brinson, Harrison, Sierra, B. Miller; Fringe - B. Lee, B. Hernandez, J. Norwood

SP 1/2 - Guzman, Alcantara, Rogers, Garret

SP 3/4/5 - Urena, Conley, Niedert, M. Gonzalez. D. Peters, Gallen; Fringe - E. Cabrera, T. Richards, Kolek, Yamamoto

RP High Leverage - Steckenrider, Wittgren; Fringe - J. Garcia, whoever doesn't cut it above

RP Backend - Ellington, O'Grady, Brigham, E. Hernandez, T. Guerrero, C. Smith, Poteet, and whoever doesn't cut it above

There are certainly some gaps and volatility there, but what I am hoping is that the centerpiece for Realmuto, 2018 1st rounder, and a real premier IFA signing (like this guy - https://www.baseballamerica.com/international/three-teams-watch-julio-pablo-martinez/#VDYvTSYMouAhJxhm.97) turn into three very notable names for the list that are comparable to Brinson/Harrison, and they get another ten plus solid B/B-/C+ guys for the excess of the Realmuto trade, secondary prime picks in the 2018 draft, and moving Straily/Bour/Castro/Barraclough/Dietrich/Ziegler/etc. at the deadline. That starts getting pretty interesting adding literally 15 more guys to the list.

Ideally for me, they turn Realmuto into another top end SP as the centerpiece for that deal and pick another SP with their 1st rounder. That'll help if Alcantara/Guzman end up in the pen and Garret doesn't come back healthy. Then absolutely hammer getting infielders and best arms available with everyone else. I'm feeling pretty good about the future OF, back end rotation, and bullpen, but everywhere else needs depth.

Anyone else see Keith Law's assessment of the marlins farm system?  Lots in there, but the thing that pissed me off was him saying 80% or more chance Guzman ends up in the bullpen, which seems absurd to me to say at this point.  He's also always so fucking condescending about everything marlins whenever possible.

Edit- Forgot its insider.  I have insider and have no problem posting it as long as im allowed.  anyone know if im allowed to post it?

Right-hander Jordan Holloway (14) was in the midst of a breakout season when he blew out his elbow mere days after Garrett's injury.

This was a particularly ridiculous thing to me in his post.  Not only was nothing about Halloway's season impressive stat wise in a 20-21 year old season in Greensboro, but he also ranked him ahead of guys like Peters, Merandy, and Gallen.

Anyone else see Keith Law's assessment of the marlins farm system?  Lots in there, but the thing that pissed me off was him saying 80% or more chance Guzman ends up in the bullpen, which seems absurd to me to say at this point.  He's also always so fucking condescending about everything marlins whenever possible.

Edit- Forgot its insider.  I have insider and have no problem posting it as long as im allowed.  anyone know if im allowed to post it?

This was a particularly ridiculous thing to me in his post.  Not only was nothing about Halloway's season impressive stat wise in a 20-21 year old season in Greensboro, but he also ranked him ahead of guys like Peters, Merandy, and Gallen.

Lol that last part about Halloway is absurd 

Yea, we'll know a lot more after this season. I don't think it's anything to really worry about just yet.

I like this article - https://www.minorleagueball.com/2018/1/24/16929958/miami-marlins-top-20-prospects-for-2018, which seems pretty fair to me, although I think Rogers and Garret are too low. Running 16 deep in "B" prospects and some pretty interesting guys after them (like Yamamoto who can't even get a write up, and Norwood who Sickels actually jumps into the message board and mentions a future write up is coming) is starting to develop some real depth and redundancy. They are going to get some good players out of this.

Personally, I'm not worried about the overall ranking. They just need to keep adding depth. This is probably where they are at on a reasonable longterm projection from what I've read:

C - ________

1B - ________; Fringe prospect in Cooper

2B - Diaz

SS - __________; Fringe - C. Torres, J. Devers, Riddle

3B - Anderson, Nelson, Dunand

OF - Brinson, Harrison, Sierra, B. Miller; Fringe - B. Lee, B. Hernandez, J. Norwood

SP 1/2 - Guzman, Alcantara, Rogers, Garret

SP 3/4/5 - Urena, Conley, Niedert, M. Gonzalez. D. Peters, Gallen; Fringe - E. Cabrera, T. Richards, Kolek, Yamamoto

RP High Leverage - Steckenrider, Wittgren; Fringe - J. Garcia, whoever doesn't cut it above

RP Backend - Ellington, O'Grady, Brigham, E. Hernandez, T. Guerrero, C. Smith, Poteet, and whoever doesn't cut it above

There are certainly some gaps and volatility there, but what I am hoping is that the centerpiece for Realmuto, 2018 1st rounder, and a real premier IFA signing (like this guy - https://www.baseballamerica.com/international/three-teams-watch-julio-pablo-martinez/#VDYvTSYMouAhJxhm.97) turn into three very notable names for the list that are comparable to Brinson/Harrison, and they get another ten plus solid B/B-/C+ guys for the excess of the Realmuto trade, secondary prime picks in the 2018 draft, and moving Straily/Bour/Castro/Barraclough/Dietrich/Ziegler/etc. at the deadline. That starts getting pretty interesting adding literally 15 more guys to the list.

Ideally for me, they turn Realmuto into another top end SP as the centerpiece for that deal and pick another SP with their 1st rounder. That'll help if Alcantara/Guzman end up in the pen and Garret doesn't come back healthy. Then absolutely hammer getting infielders and best arms available with everyone else. I'm feeling pretty good about the future OF, back end rotation, and bullpen, but everywhere else needs depth.

This is a great post.  And in regards to that article, i agree.  We're still lacking the top star talent aside from Brinson (although I think Guzman will really climb all of these rankings by the midseason or next years rankings), but I think Mike hill has really done a good job building the much needed depth in the last calender year or so.  Granted, it was mostly his moves that depleted that depth to begin with, but its nice to see options at different positions for the first time in a while.  

The one move (although there are so many) that I wish we could get back was the Straily/Castillo deal.  I have no fucking idea why it seemed like we were so insistent on moving Castillo, but i wish they just let him develop.  Im assuming they thought he was just gonna turn into a reliever eventually, and Straily isnt bad by any stretch of the imagination, but that move hurts a lot.  Seems like they turned good lower level other team scouting (getting him for Hits Mcgehee) into poor self scouting (trading him numerous times).