Don's speech to team

SonOfJack

Some will say a lot of that is cliched things and any and every team can easily say those things but I think telling this team they're preparing to win every game and preparing to win a championship from now and every day forward is the right way to go about this. 

It's like telling Larry he has a shot at getting laid

I like Don as a manager a lot before and after games. During games, he's absolutely awful, but he's good at all other times. He's a great TEAM manager, but a pathetic GAME manager. 

I wouldn't say pathetic but this is pretty accurate. His best qualities come in the clubhouse and before and after games, his worst qualities show up during games. It's a strange thing to say but it's so true. 

I wouldn't say pathetic but this is pretty accurate. His best qualities come in the clubhouse and before and after games, his worst qualities show up during games. It's a strange thing to say but it's so true. 

He’s certainly not the first Manager like this. When Bobby Cox was managing the Blue Jays he was like this, and his bad managing took him right out of the playoffs in ‘85 (his particular tic was platooning, and a worse Royals team exploited it to make the WS). He figured it out by the time he got to the Braves.  Bill James talked a lot about managing in the Abstracts...

He threw some very discreet shade in that speech, and rightly so.  I like Mattingly as a person, no doubt.  However, the jury is still out for me on whether I like him as the manager of the Marlins.  This season will decide that.  This team feels quintessentially Marlinian, and we have an opportunity to turn some heads.  For how little a chance there is of a postseason run, I can honestly say I'm extremely excited to see how this team performs.

I think he's a great manager to lead the team into this rebuild, but i hope we eventually change managers when we turn the corner and hopefully take the next step into contention.  He seems like a genuinely good guy and a great leader especially for these young players, but his in game management and lineup construction a lot of times is not good and leaves much to be desired.  

I totally agree, as of right now.  Having said that, I think the new dynamic of the team plays well into his style of game management.  He's not going to feel too compelled to lean on any particular guy at any particular time. 

agreed.  Our game management doesnt really matter right now and like i said he's a perfect figure to have for these young guys in terms of his pedigree and his leadership in the clubhouse.  Unfortunately if he stays the next few years he'll likely stay long term and we'll be stuck with his in game stuff for the future, but those things will probably work themselves out anyways. 

Do you see any chance of adaptation in his game management?  He could change his approach and tailor it to the feedback he gets from the team.  That may be wishful thinking, though.

i think if there would be a change in his adaptation of game management it would need to be through a bigger concentration on analytics from the front office. I have no idea and im just going off the top of my head, but i doubt he just all of a sudden tries to change up his managing philosophy out of nowhere after a long career and given the fact that he has probably been a manager at this point for close to 10 years or something around there.

I havent heard him talk about analytics and how he views their role in the game, but if he's receptive to them and we start to put a bigger influence on analytics organizationally i think its within the realm of possibility that he becomes a better in game manager.

I don’t think his in-game management is as bad as people say.

Most fans (of all teams) don’t like the moves their manager makes.

True but I've never questioned any Marlins managers in game management as much as I have with Mattingly. With that said I'm also older and more aware of things now that he may be doing wrong. Like, I had no clue when Rene Lachmann messed up because I didn't know what a good manager or a bad manager was back then so that's definitely part of it too. 

True but I've never questioned any Marlins managers in game management as much as I have with Mattingly. With that said I'm also older and more aware of things now that he may be doing wrong. Like, I had no clue when Rene Lachmann messed up because I didn't know what a good manager or a bad manager was back then so that's definitely part of it too. 

To be fair, he’s had some terrible pitching staffs.

The team last year was built with the idea of a “super pen” that actually wasn’t super at all. 

There aren’t many things that I can remember that he’s constantly done to make him awful imo.

I know he was criticized some last year for pulling starters too early, but that’s part of an analytical movement that many teams are buying into. Especially with an awful rotation like we have here, you usually don’t want your SP pitching to a lineup 3x, statistically speaking.

I thought having faith in Bour to hit LHP was dumb last year, but that actually worked out pretty well.

All in all, I think Mattingly’s done alright considering what he’s had to work with pitching wise.

To be fair, he’s had some terrible pitching staffs.

The team last year was built with the idea of a “super pen” that actually wasn’t super at all. 

There aren’t many things that I can remember that he’s constantly done to make him awful imo.

I know he was criticized some last year for pulling starters too early, but that’s part of an analytical movement that many teams are buying into. Especially with an awful rotation like we have here, you usually don’t want your SP pitching to a lineup 3x, statistically speaking.

I thought having faith in Bour to hit LHP was dumb last year, but that actually worked out pretty well.

All in all, I think Mattingly’s done alright considering what he’s had to work with pitching wise.

This is a fair take actually.  But he's also had good teams with the Dodgers too and i believe their fans really did not like him either.  But your other point was correct in saying that most teams dont like their managers. 

This is a fair take actually.  But he's also had good teams with the Dodgers too and i believe their fans really did not like him either.  But your other point was correct in saying that most teams dont like their managers. 

I never thought the criticisms he got from the Dodgers fanbase were fair.

Didn’t he win the division every year or nearly every year there? 

He had a very good record, and got blamed for not winning a World Series because of the high payroll which wasn’t his fault. Ned Colleti handed out some bad contracts that inflated their payroll.

Also, while he was with the Dodgers, Mattingly had the rough luck that the best starting pitcher in the game (Kershaw) constantly pitched like crap for him in big games. At the end of the day, the playoffs are a small sample and no manager is going to win it all if his best players don’t perform or come close to performing at the level that’s expected.

I think Dave Roberts has the reputation of being a good manager (who, by the way, also pulls his starters early because it’s an organizational philosophy). Roberts also hasn’t been able to win it all for the Dodgers.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that while Mattingly was with the Dodgers, Yasiel Puig often acted like a major dick. Considering all the egos he had, winning the division every year (with some good Giants teams in those divisions) wasn’t so bad.