DFA GUERRERO

Had a strange thought late last night about yesterday's disaster...

In a weird way that was probably good for them.

Had they won they'd think they were better than they were and might be "expecting" more wins. Maybe in the long run it was better that they lost yesterday. It's not like they're contending this season so why not take a disastrous loss that they can learn from?

Losses like this sometimes shake a team up for the better. If the coaching staff and the clubhouse veterans handled this one right they may never (so to speak) have another loss like that again. It won't be this quick of a turnaround but everyone always talks of the night the 2003 team lost 25-8 to the Red Sox and how that lit a fire under that team. This 2018 has been competitive in more games than anyone expected, to their credit, but maybe this team needs to be dragged face first through the mud a little more. Build some character and light them up.

Had they won they'd think they were better than they were and might be "expecting" more wins. Maybe in the long run it was better that they lost yesterday. It's not like they're contending this season so why not take a disastrous loss that they can learn from?

Losses like this sometimes shake a team up for the better. If the coaching staff and the clubhouse veterans handled this one right they may never (so to speak) have another loss like that again. It won't be this quick of a turnaround but everyone always talks of the night the 2003 team lost 25-8 to the Red Sox and how that lit a fire under that team. This 2018 has been competitive in more games than anyone expected, to their credit, but maybe this team needs to be dragged face first through the mud a little more. Build some character and light them up.

Wow.   I've seen you state time and again that you don't care about winning/losing this year.  Now you're taking the position that losing is actually good for the team.  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd prefer that we win.  And if we can't win, I'd prefer that we lose in a fashion that is not an absolute disaster and embarrassment. 

Wow.   I've seen you state time and again that you don't care about winning/losing this year.  Now you're taking the position that losing is actually good for the team.  Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd prefer that we win.  And if we can't win, I'd prefer that we lose in a fashion that is not an absolute disaster and embarrassment. 

That's not how I meant it. I don't WANT them to lose and I didn't say I want them to lose... but there are times when teams learn from losses especially losses like yesterday and hopefully they learned something yesterday and also learn from future losses. That's not the same as wanting them to lose. Every time I turn on a Marlins game I root for them to win even in a season like this one where losing is almost a forgone conclusion.

Compare it to parenting... sometimes parents gotta let kids fall on their faces and learn from their mistakes. That doesn't mean parents stand by the window and hope their kids fall on the concrete every day. Or teaching kids to ride a bike. You get them out there and every kid needs to fall off their bike several times to learn how to do it. Again, it's not like parents put the kids on the bicycle and cross their fingers wanting the kid to fall.

Don't think I can explain it any better than that. 

Yesterday was terrible and it takes a special kind of implosion to do what they did.   It also hurts even more when it is in a game where you get unusual contributions in the way of a Brinson grand slam and a multi-homer game from Rojas.  Seeing that go as an L feels pretty horrible, even for the 2018 Marlins.  But to @SilverBullet1929 point there is always a takeaway from disappointing games.  Look at Tayron Guerrero for example. According to Baseball-Reference’s Leverage Index, Guerrero’s appearance in the 9th inning was the highest pressure situation he’s faced all year.  It was quite a bit more “pressure” than the next highest on the index for the season.  No it didn’t work out, but he’s one of our more electric options out of the pen and it is in the team’s best interest long term to begin using him in the most critical situations.

[ATTACH]1973._xfImport[/ATTACH]

38455747_GuerreroGameLog.png.085b6a3d36a291855b3791c6b236ac28.png

Honestly I think the bullpen decisions should have been reversed yesterday. Start Guerrero in that inning then bring in Ziegler if it gets hairy. I don't understand why he brought in Ziegler with a 5 run lead, it's not like he needed work. He just pitched Friday and there's a game today. Doesn't make sense.

C’mon now.  

So I'm the only one here who's ever heard of learning from your mistakes and teams and players learning lessons in defeat? 

Please, man.  Stop. 

There are are no positive takeaways from giving up 5 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. 

They didn’t need to lose yet ANOTHER game in walk off fashion at SunTrust for it to REALLY sink in.

Does it mean the Marlins will never recover?  No.  They may win today for all we know.  Just don’t be the guy who finds positives in a complete pitching/managerial shit show breakdown. 

You’re better than that. 

The only person who absolutely can benefit from this is Guerrero and this being his DFA thread, it shows that the 9th inning is different.  He wants to get out of being lumped with Tazawa and Zeigler on this chat room.  It would have been better to succeed but that is history.  Now, what the F is wrong with Steckenrider?

Please, man.  Stop. 

There are are no positive takeaways from giving up 5 runs with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th. 

They didn’t need to lose yet ANOTHER game in walk off fashion at SunTrust for it to REALLY sink in.

Does it mean the Marlins will never recover?  No.  They may win today for all we know.  Just don’t be the guy who finds positives in a complete pitching/managerial shit show breakdown. 

You’re better than that. 

And I thought you were better than posts like this one.

Keep drowning in negativity if you'd rather. 

Man this place is fun lately. 

the important question is if the mud is organic ? 

Please, man.  Stop. 

You’re better than that. 

He's not wrong, though. Things CAN be learned from this loss. Maybe not for Ziegler, could be a little late for him, but perhaps for Mattingly, for Guerrero. I don't think he was necessarily being positive, just bringing up the potential learning experience from it, and he's not wrong.

On top of it all, the guy is just trying to bring conversation to the boards, which is always appreciated. Get people thinking and hopefully a friendly discussion comes of it all, but it seems like that's not really happening too much since people would rather be negative. ?