Machado signs with Padres

Admin

Wow. Honestly, it seems like a bargain for the Padres.

Also, I love how this is being reported as the biggest free-agent contract in the history of American sports. It's technically true, and of course reporters always want to be dramatic for clicks. It still irks me when the Marlins gave Stanton more, and they would never acknowledge that. And yes, I know it was backloaded -- which is normal -- and they trade him -- which sucked. It still irks me.

Who else is seeing Manny being traded in 4-5 years and Padres absorbing most of the remaining contract ?

I do. Just told my friend I see it happening after year four. 

That's assuming pretty much none of their prospects pan out. Have to remember they have the best farm system in all of baseball by a decent margin. A few of their 10 in the top 100 are pitchers and potentially their 1-3 in the rotation for a few years, all with potentially ace-like ability. Padres ain't trading Manny unless something goes severely wrong.

That's assuming pretty much none of their prospects pan out. Have to remember they have the best farm system in all of baseball by a decent margin. A few of their 10 in the top 100 are pitchers and potentially their 1-3 in the rotation for a few years, all with potentially ace-like ability. Padres ain't trading Manny unless something goes severely wrong.

any of those long term deals haven't or will work out

feels weird to say it considering he's getting 300 million dollars but that's a pretty decent deal for both sides. I don't even like Manny that well but that's a fair rate compared to the 400 million or whatever it was that was projected at the start of the 2018 season. Good for the Pads for going in on it.

6 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

[MEDIA=twitter]1097947368262172672[/MEDIA]

Holy shit. Heyman has been god awful throughout this whole process. He literally stated NO NEW INFO from the tweet he quoted from Rosenthal. Combine this with the fact he's been "on top of" Harper news the last month by saying "Harper has not signed and there's still 37 teams in the hunt for him," he has been must-avoid Twitter.

Who else is seeing Manny being traded in 4-5 years and Padres absorbing most of the remaining contract ?

Why?

I love what the Padres are doing.  It's a genius move.  

if they can find a way to jettison Myers and have someone pick up a lot of that deal (or wait for the DH to arrive), they will be in really good shape.  

Their prospect pool is stupid.