Who are we drafting?

Marlins selected RHP Max Meyer of Minnesota with the third pick of the 2020 MLB Draft.

Meyer was used in relief in his freshman season and picked up 16 saves, but moved to the rotation with great success; culminating with a 1.95 ERA and 46/8 K/BB in just under 28 innings for the Gophers. The right-hander can get his fastball into triple-digits, and he complements that heater with the best slider of any hurler in this class. He also mixes in a quality change, and in general, he has no issues with finding the strike zone. The issue here is that Meyer is listed at 6-foot, 185-pounds, and he may not have the frame to hold up as a starter in the modern game. Even if he has to move to the bullpen, he’s a player who can be a fantasy stalwart because of his ability to miss bats. He’s as good -- if not better -- of a bet for success in formats as any pitcher in the 2020 class.

RotoWorld

Yo people news flash none of us are in the front office. Fan predictions are just guesses. For now I'll trust that our scouting department knows what they're doing here. They had a shot at both Lacy and Martin if they wanted but they specifically chose someone else so I'm sure there's a reason for that. 

Just now, SilverBullet said:

Yo people news flash none of us are in the front office. Fan predictions are just guesses. For now I'll trust that our scouting department knows what they're doing here. They had a shot at both Lacy and Martin if they wanted but they specifically chose someone else so I'm sure there's a reason for that. 

Every fucking body had Lacy over Meyer. Come on man. 

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Could be a combination of things.

1. They thought he was the best option (especially based on the tweets that @SonOfJack is providing us), AND

2. He may sign under-slot slightly allowing us to pry some more talent later in the draft.

2 minutes ago, GuitarPik said:

So the director of amateur scouting has more say over the president of baseball operations?

The scouting department spends a year working towards this decision and determines who they think is the best choice. I'm sure the GM has a say but I don't think he's gonna override what the scouting department has worked their asses for.

Just now, GuitarPik said:

I can’t believe there isn’t more outrage here. This is a fucking travesty. Fire Mike Hill now!

Chill. Let this play out over the next couple years. This isn't like the NFL, none of these guys would have immediately been up and helping the big league team.

"Travesty" is such a silly exaggeration here.

• Like 4