Who are we drafting?

Definitely surprised Lacy didn't get picked but last time Marlins chose a big guy it didn't work out (Kolek) so maybe that strategy of tall height and big weight isn't always a lock. I was hoping we would at least draft Austin Martin to have versatility at SS, 3B, or 2B... but the more I see and read into Meyer I think it's a real solid pick. Also seems like they went that route to save a bit of money. Smart choice though.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Might need to score a run or two more than the other team just to be sure though. 

I have it on good authority that players will go on several different runs before the game to build up the score and give themselves a cushion.

i didn't have any issues with them going all pitching in the draft. they have a ton of position players who they need to work out to see who's going to stick and who needs to go.  Pitching prospects always command a premium and pitchers have a little more flexibility when it comes to not reaching their ceilings imo, a projected starter can instead become a closer or even a valuable middle innings kind of player. there's just more leeway overall with them.

I still think it's a giant crock of shit that they reduced it to five rounds and then teams can sign as many guys as they want for 20k - that reeks of letting the big teams just stockpile the top talents.  i understand it's 20k per player but i mean c'mon - a kid with a chance to be part of one of the upper echelon franchises will take that over a team like the Marlins. I really hope this is a one year thing due to the virus and not the standard going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

i understand it's 20k per player but i mean c'mon - a kid with a chance to be part of one of the upper echelon franchises will take that over a team like the Marlins.

I agree with most of your post besides this part. I believe what the organization has done, having committed to paying all minor leaguers through the season (first team to announce it, I might add) and not cutting a single one may speak volumes to these kids who didn't get drafted.

A lot of these kids may actually sign with the lesser teams if they're thinking that it gives them a better shot at making it to the Majors (I'd go that route anyways). KC, Pittsburgh, Detroit, etc - may have a good shot at some of these kids.

Of course I could be wrong there, but I think that's what may happen. Plus a whole bunch of them are going to choose to play one more college year or attend college period depending where they're coming from.

4 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Why are we limiting ourselves? That's weird. 

Well normally at this point, the Marlins would have cut somewhere around 50 players from extended spring training and full season teams. In the absence of those cuts, there's less need to load up on $20K guys.

Also, it's worth noting that $20K guys aren't likely to be prospects anywhere near the team's top 30 or so. Any meaningful undrafted guy is likely to go back for another year of college.

7 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Well normally at this point, the Marlins would have cut somewhere around 50 players from extended spring training and full season teams. In the absence of those cuts, there's less need to load up on $20K guys.

Also, it's worth noting that $20K guys aren't likely to be prospects anywhere near the team's top 30 or so. Any meaningful undrafted guy is likely to go back for another year of college.

Yup, exactly