August 1, 20206 yr Author 12 minutes ago, hovertical said: he was the one wanting to opt out right? Right
August 1, 20206 yr 20 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said: Blaming him or not ? Ehh, whatever. He's a 24yo athlete in the best of health, with the best care available. I fail to see how he's at any more risk of contracting than a local Home Depot or grocery store employee, who is around hundreds of different people every single day. And if he did, his body is in the best shape to fight it. It's whatever at this point.
August 1, 20206 yr 1 hour ago, cyoung said: Ehh, whatever. He's a 24yo athlete in the best of health, with the best care available. I fail to see how he's at any more risk of contracting than a local Home Depot or grocery store employee, who is around hundreds of different people every single day. And if he did, his body is in the best shape to fight it. It's whatever at this point. I don't blame him since being an athlete doesn't guarantee you won't be utterly miserable either. You certainly stand a much better chance at rapid recovery but Freddie Freeman had a 104.5 fever if I remember correctly? I'd assume he's in pretty good health on a normal day. It took me 6 weeks to get over that shit and i'm nowhere near close to Freddie Freeman's level of fitness - but I also never had it as severe as he did in terms of fever anyway so it's just a mixed bag. So I don't blame him, he certainly has a much better chance to have only minor symptoms but there are those exceptions to every rule. I still don't think we'll see this baseball season play out to completion so that's also why I don't blame him - why play if they're just going to stop anyway? Baseball just put a giant shitshow on with both sides bickering over amounts of money 95% of us can't even fathom having access to even a fraction of - and for what? A couple teaser weeks and more blame-gaming?
August 1, 20206 yr 2 hours ago, cyoung said: Ehh, whatever. He's a 24yo athlete in the best of health, with the best care available. I fail to see how he's at any more risk of contracting than a local Home Depot or grocery store employee, who is around hundreds of different people every single day. And if he did, his body is in the best shape to fight it. It's whatever at this point. He may have at risk family members that he is in contact with often.
August 1, 20206 yr 3 hours ago, cyoung said: Ehh, whatever. He's a 24yo athlete in the best of health, with the best care available. I fail to see how he's at any more risk of contracting than a local Home Depot or grocery store employee, who is around hundreds of different people every single day. And if he did, his body is in the best shape to fight it. It's whatever at this point. There was no better way to convey that you can’t imagine thinking about anybody but yourself, lol. Perhaps he’s concerned about spreading the virus to other people in his life and doesn’t want to be responsible for getting other people sick, possibly fatally.
August 1, 20206 yr 3 minutes ago, Arptastic said: There was no better way to convey that you can’t imagine thinking about anybody but yourself, lol. Perhaps he’s concerned about spreading the virus to other people in his life and doesn’t want to be responsible for getting other people sick, possibly fatally. Oh, that's horse shit. He has the same ability to stay away from high-risk family members for the next 60 days, just like everyone of us has been asked to, and are currently doing.
August 1, 20206 yr 1 hour ago, hovertical said: I don't blame him since being an athlete doesn't guarantee you won't be utterly miserable either. You certainly stand a much better chance at rapid recovery but Freddie Freeman had a 104.5 fever if I remember correctly? I'd assume he's in pretty good health on a normal day. It took me 6 weeks to get over that shit and i'm nowhere near close to Freddie Freeman's level of fitness - but I also never had it as severe as he did in terms of fever anyway so it's just a mixed bag. So I don't blame him, he certainly has a much better chance to have only minor symptoms but there are those exceptions to every rule. I still don't think we'll see this baseball season play out to completion so that's also why I don't blame him - why play if they're just going to stop anyway? Baseball just put a giant shitshow on with both sides bickering over amounts of money 95% of us can't even fathom having access to even a fraction of - and for what? A couple teaser weeks and more blame-gaming? I completely understand what you're saying. And I know Freddie Freeman's situation as well - I also look at how many other athletes have gotten it, and he seems to be the only one speaking out with such severe symptoms. I don't dig too much into Braves stuff - I watch the games occasionally, and will read local sports news (I'm in north Ga.). Don't take this as fact, but I do have a lot of Braves fan friends that will tell you he is a bit dramatic too. Again, I don't know. He may have suffered every bit as bad as he said he did. but with his many athletes that have tested positive, we haven't heard any other stories quite like his. I completely understand that everybody's situation is different though - either way, glad you made it through it!
August 1, 20206 yr 19 minutes ago, cyoung said: Oh, that's horse shit. He has the same ability to stay away from high-risk family members for the next 60 days, just like everyone of us has been asked to, and are currently doing. You do not know his home situation and who he lives with and who he has to be exposed to on a daily basis. It's not as simple as locking yourself in your bedroom or whatever. This also has to do with 18 of his teammates testing positive which clearly increases his chance of exposure. If the Marlins had little to no cases he would have stayed with the team.
August 1, 20206 yr 1 minute ago, SilverBullet said: You do not know his home situation and who he lives with and who he has to be exposed to on a daily basis. It's not as simple as locking yourself in your bedroom or whatever. This also has to do with 18 of his teammates testing positive which clearly increases his chance of exposure. If the Marlins had little to no cases he would have stayed with the team. You're correct - but my original statement stands - I doubt he's exposed anymore than grocery store employees, etc. The only difference being, his salary is about 12x what theirs are, and he's surrounded by a medical staff that will do whatever they can to keep him healthy. I'm not holding a grudge against him. It's just a shitshow. But yeah, anybody else in the real world has had to find ways the isolate from high-risk family members - whether they live with them or not. He (and likely the team) have the financial means to give them another place to live. Hell, the Braves AAA team leases the apartments right next to the stadium for the players. players come and go, but they have a place to live while they're there.
August 1, 20206 yr 2 hours ago, SilverBullet said: He may have at risk family members that he is in contact with often. He may also have an underlying condition that he doesn't want to disclose. He figured the risk was worth it initially, but after seeing the outbreak (and/or players' behavior) changed his mind.
August 1, 20206 yr Like, the more strange a choice it seems, the more likely there's something we're missing. He wouldn't do this lightly. He has a lot to prove, and he was swinging well the last game or two.
August 1, 20206 yr if you opt-out you lose your 2020 salary I guess? or did they agree on some sort of minimum salary in the agreement for anyone who does?
August 1, 20206 yr Hi there is nothing wrong with opting out and I am disappointed to be a Marlins fan alongside some of you who think there is.
August 1, 20206 yr 9 minutes ago, Hotcorner said: if you opt-out you lose your 2020 salary I guess? or did they agree on some sort of minimum salary in the agreement for anyone who does? Full pay if I remember.
August 1, 20206 yr Author 25 minutes ago, Hotcorner said: if you opt-out you lose your 2020 salary I guess? or did they agree on some sort of minimum salary in the agreement for anyone who does? If you are high risk, you're paid in full. If not, the club has the option to not pay you.
August 1, 20206 yr 2 minutes ago, SonOfJack said: If you are high risk, you're paid in full. If not, the club has the option to not pay you. Is there some kind of stipend like what the NFL is doing? (150k to regular players who opt out, more for high risk)
August 1, 20206 yr 9 minutes ago, SonOfJack said: If you are high risk, you're paid in full. If not, the club has the option to not pay you. Oh, that's interesting. I guess Isan figured, "it's not worth $220K or whatever the prorated amount would be for him.
August 1, 20206 yr Author 7 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said: Is there some kind of stipend like what the NFL is doing? (150k to regular players who opt out, more for high risk) Not sure
August 1, 20206 yr Author 1 minute ago, Michael said: I guess Isan figured, "it's not worth $220K or whatever the prorated amount would be for him. With the advance players like him got back in March, he was playing for "very little" now anyway I believe. That advance doesn't have to be given back.
August 1, 20206 yr Just now, SonOfJack said: With the advance players like him got back in March, he was playing for "very little" now anyway I believe. That advance doesn't have to be given back. I see. Works for me.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.