NLDS Post-Game Thread (Game 2)

58 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I get your obsession for Donnie, but it's not very practical. Joyce over Brinson, is like picking which grandma over the age of 100.  

Brinson went 0-3 yesterday, then was PH for Joyce who had a hit in his place. 

Your exposing yourself to a blind hatred for Donnie at this point.  

Maybe you're genuine. But how great this season was, its a bad time to start finger pointing, just to prove a point.  

I'm  just a newbie so it might not sit well with others here with my post, but whatever, it's hard enough swallowing a 2 playoff losses and reading a post that is geared to bring negativity. Can we just get through the season first. 

I actually think your post will sit very well, as I think the majority of the forum likes Mattingly and I am the outspoken one. My feelings on him are kind of complex, because I understand that we don't make it to the playoffs without him, but I think we make it deeper into the playoffs without him too. I can admit when he does things right (check the game thread re: his bullpen usage today), but it happens pretty rarely in-game, so it's hard to notice. In between games? In the clubhouse? On the team plane? Even at Spring Training? There's no one I'd rather have managing the team than Don Mattingly. What he was able to do with a piecemeal roster for most of the season was incredible. I wish there were a split managing position, where Mattingly could be in charge up until the first pitch, and then in charge again after the last pitch. His insistence on following baseball tradition (which weirdly does not apply on shifting defenders) is maddening, and he so often goes against the logical analytical approach. 

Basically, both of these can't be true, but somehow they are:

-without Mattingly in the 2020 regular season, the Marlins don't make the playoffs.

-without Mattingly in the 2020 playoffs, this series could be 1-1 or even 2-0 the other way

(tirade over, I must say: sorry for spreading negativity. That's not what I want to do, but I am frustrated with the team I love and convinced that things could be so easily better.)

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

My lineup for tomorrow, if I were in charge:

1. Berti 2B

2. Rojas SS

3. Cooper 1B

4. Anderson 3B

5. Aguilar DH

6. Dickerson LF

7. Brinson RF

8. Sierra CF

9. Wallach C

Fuck it, I’d give Alfaro the start tomorrow. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

I actually think your post will sit very well, as I think the majority of the forum likes Mattingly and I am the outspoken one. My feelings on him are kind of complex, because I understand that we don't make it to the playoffs without him, but I think we make it deeper into the playoffs without him too. I can admit when he does things right (check the game thread re: his bullpen usage today), but it happens pretty rarely in-game, so it's hard to notice. In between games? In the clubhouse? On the team plane? Even at Spring Training? There's no one I'd rather have managing the team than Don Mattingly. What he was able to do with a piecemeal roster for most of the season was incredible. I wish there were a split managing position, where Mattingly could be in charge up until the first pitch, and then in charge again after the last pitch. His insistence on following baseball tradition (which weirdly does not apply on shifting defenders) is maddening, and he so often goes against the logical analytical approach. 

-without Mattingly in the 2020 regular season, the Marlins don't make the playoffs.

-without Mattingly in the 2020 playoffs, this series could be 1-1 or even 2-0 the other way

(tirade over, I must say: sorry for spreading negativity. That's not what I want to do, but I am frustrated with the team I love and convinced that things could be so easily better.)

I understand the frustration since we're all feeling like this series could very well be 2-0 Marlins despite what Acuna believes.  I kinda thought going into it the Braves would either win in 4 or the Marlins, if they got to game 5, would win in 5....just because that's kinda been their theme this season.  Both outcomes are still plausible and I still believe, if they get to game 5 they'll take the series and my God nothing would be better than winning game 5 with bases juiced, bottom of the ninth, and striking Acuna out to win the after buzzing one past his noggin on the previous pitch to end the game.  That's my wet dream.

Anyway, getting back on topic regarding Mattingly.  I don't think he's a bad manager with in-game decisions. Not to the point the fish would be far better off with someone else. There's a pretty constant theme in all sports with most fanbases and thats nobody is ever happy with their manager.  100% of the time fact? No. But I'd wager at least 75% of teams think their manager is an idiot multiple times during a season. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I understand the frustration since we're all feeling like this series could very well be 2-0 Marlins despite what Acuna believes.  I kinda thought going into it the Braves would either win in 4 or the Marlins, if they got to game 5, would win in 5....just because that's kinda been their theme this season.  Both outcomes are still plausible and I still believe, if they get to game 5 they'll take the series and my God nothing would be better than winning game 5 with bases juiced, bottom of the ninth, and striking Acuna out to win the after buzzing one past his noggin on the previous pitch to end the game.  That's my wet dream.

Anyway, getting back on topic regarding Mattingly.  I don't think he's a bad manager with in-game decisions. Not to the point the fish would be far better off with someone else. There's a pretty constant theme in all sports with most fanbases and thats nobody is ever happy with their manager.  100% of the time fact? No. But I'd wager at least 75% of teams think their manager is an idiot multiple times during a season. 

I can point to two potential game-changing bad decisions he's made in the first two games of this series that if he'd visited Fangraphs.com ONCE in his life, he'd have known not to do. Of course, making the right decision doesn't always mean getting the good result. Sometimes, Matt Joyce gets a hit. But the right decision at least gives you a better chance of achieving that result. I follow a lot of analytically-inclined writers on Twitter and they all lost their minds when Sandy came back out to face the Braves for a fourth time. The Joyce decision today is a little more questionable because the other options weren't great either, but I still think you give the chance there to the guy who has at least been hitting the ball like an adult male. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

When I first read the lineup, my immediate reaction was, Donnie is an idiot. Dickerson leading off must be strictly because of favoritism, and Joyce, well he  can't get deployed because Brinson refuses to help him pack.  But honestly, It's hard to judge when the options are few. Not having Marte hurt this team badly. 

I could see your point more if Joyce was in the lineup with a healthy Marte. I think Donnie is throwing anything at the wall and hoping it will stick.  

I would like to see Jazz start. We need a spark, and he has some fire in his approach. Time to go all in. 

For the record, Im in that realm of Donnie is good and he is an idiot all at the same time, so I understand your points. 

The players are accountable and need to step up. I feel Donnie is working with dough that doesn't rise at this point. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry

I like Mattingly, I don't think he is really all that bad in-game. He's decidedly average. But he appears to be a great teacher of the game, and a great leader for the team.  

He is sticking with the platoon a bit too much with Joyce, and I still don't know why Dickerson gets the most at-bats. But he's missing Marte, which puts a solid hole in the lineup.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GuitarPik said:

If they do get that far, there’s a decent chance Friday and/or Saturdays games might get delayed due to that hurricane. Not sure if that helps us or them more. 

That would hurt us and help them 

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

1. Berti 2B

2. Rojas SS

3. Cooper 1B

4. Anderson 3B

5. Aguilar DH

6. Dickerson LF

7. Brinson RF

8. Sierra CF

9. Wallach C

Love it. 

I’d be ok with Aggy playing 1B, too

2 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

1. Berti 2B

2. Rojas SS

3. Cooper 1B

4. Anderson 3B

5. Aguilar DH

6. Dickerson LF

7. Brinson RF

8. Sierra CF

9. Wallach C

Looks good

1 hour ago, DTrain said:

Love it. 

I’d be ok with Aggy playing 1B, too

They're both bad defenders, but most stats have Aggy as decidedly worse, which is why I went with Cooper. But yeah, I'm fine either way. Cooper has looked slower than usual lately, maybe he could use a bit of bench in between his at bats. 

3 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

1. Berti 2B

2. Rojas SS

3. Cooper 1B

4. Anderson 3B

5. Aguilar DH

6. Dickerson LF

7. Brinson RF

8. Sierra CF

9. Wallach C

I’d swap Wallach and Sierra. 

3 minutes ago, GuitarPik said:

I thought about that, but wanted to keep the speed of Sierra and Berti separate when the lineup turns over. Also, makes it lefty, righty, lefty, potentially allowing Brinson to face a lefty pitcher later in the game (although Snitker isn't as strict with that as our guy)

44 minutes ago, GuitarPik said:

I think Jorge needs to go tomorrow. I understand expanding your bench by using him as a pinch hitter but we need our best offensive players tomorrow. Weight is going and we need to get on him early and eat that pen up to have a shot the rest of the series.