2020 Post-Season Thread

19 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

Need a solid middle rotation guy and pen IMO. I hope we keep Aguilar, but that also puts Cooper handcuffed if we are banking on the plethora of OF prospects in the org.

I'm not sure it's short-sightedness or not, but in the win now situation I would rather to keep Cooper and Aguilar than the prospects. 

They should cut Stanek, he's been useless. Kintzler probably gets picked up for a bit of stability in the back of the pen because they probably need to rebuild back there and at least he's one less spot to fill. He's probably not as good over a full season but it's just one more season and he doesn't have to be "the" closer."

In general I did want to say that this might be a tough group to make trades from on a personal level. Considering what this specific group went through and the chemistry that came from it, having to remove anyone from it would kinda suck. I'm all for it on a business level of course, I'm not saying keep this team together for emotional reasons only, but just saying it would be pretty bittersweet to subtract say, Aguilar, or Cooper, or Brinson from this 2020 family like team.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastieMike said:

prefer not a rook...... 

Mike Minor, Jose Quintana type guy.

Yes one solid middle of the rotation guy would be a tremendous get. Basically gotta replace what Urena and Caleb (and even back to Dan Straily) were... dare I say Chen in the sense of making consistent starts and eating up innings. Might be worrisome to have to rely on such a young rotation for an entire season.

46 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

Need a solid middle rotation guy and pen IMO. I hope we keep Aguilar, but that also puts Cooper handcuffed if we are banking on the plethora of OF prospects in the org.

Agreed.  We also need a real answer on the DH thing, which itself could solve the Cooper/Aguilar dilemma.  I still find it hard to believe they're going to go back to non-DH for a year and then add it again the next.......but then again MLB hasn't exactly been doing smart things, and will probably want to keep the DH in their back pocket for CBA negotiations (which will probably be a disaster).

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

They should cut Stanek, he's been useless. Kintzler probably gets picked up for a bit of stability in the back of the pen because they probably need to rebuild back there and at least he's one less spot to fill. He's probably not as good over a full season but it's just one more season and he doesn't have to be "the" closer."

In general I did want to say that this might be a tough group to make trades from on a personal level. Considering what this specific group went through and the chemistry that came from it, having to remove anyone from it would kinda suck. I'm all for it on a business level of course, I'm not saying keep this team together for emotional reasons only, but just saying it would be pretty bittersweet to subtract say, Aguilar, or Cooper, or Brinson from this 2020 family like team.

I say pick it up, and he can be traded at the deadline if we're not in it at the deadline (I feel we could possibly on the periphery of contention, but not as close as this year.  I know people are probably looking for further steps forward after this year, but I'm anticipating/I'd be happy with a .500 (or slightly over) season due to the added length of a full season.

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Yes one solid middle of the rotation guy would be a tremendous get. Basically gotta replace what Urena and Caleb (and even back to Dan Straily) were... dare I say Chen in the sense of making consistent starts and eating up innings. Might be worrisome to have to rely on such a young rotation for an entire season.

Yeah, I'd like to sign a good inning-eating veteran for the rotation, especially considering the short season and lack of a minor league season.   A lot of the younger guys will likely have innings limits they didn't have in the short season.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

prefer not a rook...... 

Mike Minor, Jose Quintana type guy.

16 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

That's the thing, we may have to, and with that as well - we've got enough of them now with MLB experience. Pablo and Sandy can be the workhorses for the full year. Then we can throw Sixto, Ed, Max out for about 25 starts each and Rogers, Garrett, Castano getting the other 7 each. There's no reason it can't be done. Use Ureña too if needed but prefer not to, obviously.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I know people are probably looking for further steps forward after this year, but I'm anticipating/I'd be happy with a .500 (or slightly over) season due to the added length of a full season.

Also you can't bank on the Phillies Mets and Nationals to be so bad over a full season either. I just want contention and competitive play next season but I'm not betting on a postseason spot. Not to say we can't do it but there's too many factors involved and it will be harder to be good in 2021.

Dare I say that in 2021 we just have to be better than we were in 2019?

We have to show progress and being able to compete but to expect to be in 2nd place only because of what we did this year is not realistic.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Also you can't bank on the Phillies Mets and Nationals to be so bad over a full season either. I just want contention and competitive play next season but I'm not betting on a postseason spot. Not to say we can't do it but there's too many factors involved and it will be harder to be good in 2021.

Dare I say that in 2021 we just have to be better than we were in 2019?

We have to show progress and being able to compete but to expect to be in 2nd place only because of what we did this year is not realistic.

Exactly.  Washington had a similar start last year and won the World Series, so over the course of a longer season, things happen.

I mean better than 2019 won't be hard to do.  And I totally anticipate Marlins coverage to talk about 2020 being a "fluke", snuck in because of expanded playoffs blah blah, but reality is I don't think they expected to be where they were in 2020, and were just looking for progress, but the shorter season helped.  Not to say we're going to be terrible again this year, but I wouldn't look for large jump if at all from our ~.500 record this year.  Which to me, considering where the team was in '19, and the increased difficulty of a full season, would be "acceptable" and part of the team's plan, IMO.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Just had a thought, imagine the Marlins finish .500 and in 3rd place next year and then everyone starts saying how terrible we are because in 2020 we finished a few games over 500 and in 2nd place, after saying that was a fluke anyways. Moving the goal posts.

Oh, this will absolutely be the case 100%.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Just had a thought, imagine the Marlins finish .500 and in 3rd place next year and then everyone starts saying how terrible we are because in 2020 we finished a few games over 500 and in 2nd place, after saying that was a fluke anyways. Moving the goal posts.

have a offseason worthwhile to eliminate the thought. Not necessarily open the check book, but fill the most obvious voids vs piecing things together. 

My offseason wishes.

Pick up Starling 12.5M option. See how this season/OF prospects growth goes and offer extension mid season. 

Pick up Kintzler 4M option, why not, best arm in the pen this season. 

Sign a 3/4 guy, preferably a LHP. Mike Minor, Jose Quintana, Alex Wood, Robbie Ray (any of those guys can get an AAV of 8-12M)? Include them in the rotation with Sandy, Pablo, Sixto (inning restriction?) and whoever fills the 5th spot (Elieser?, but would like him to go to the bullpen and be a long relief guy) 

Bullpen is tricky, all guys are going to be cheapish with arbitration besides Kintzler option. Bleier was great as the "loogy". Maybe trade some prospects and dominate the 7,8,9.

Seems like all positions are locked. I hope Aguilar takes a discount and stays. That would be huge. Isan/Jazz/Berti? and Miggy Ro up the middle. Anderson on the corner. Dick, Marte, Cooper OF (not trusting any of the OF young guys TBH). Im going to assume Wallach stays with how the year ended and Alfaro learns to frame and hit again.

That leaves Berti as the main utility guy. Im not sure about the rest either. Mags, Monte, Lewis, Harold, and some IF guys?

But sign a utility vet, Marwin Gonzalez is a name that comes to mind. Bats from bat sides of the plate (Donnie doesn't have to play matchups game anymore) and can play corner OF and IF spots.  

Rest of the bench spots. Who knows. Whoever has the best Spring training. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CoastieMike said:

have a offseason worthwhile to eliminate the thought. Not necessarily open the check book, but fill the most obvious voids vs piecing things together. 

My offseason wishes.

Pick up Starling 12.5M option. See how this season/OF prospects growth goes and offer extension mid season. 

Sign a 3/4 guy, preferably a LHP. Mike Minor, Jose Quintana, Alex Wood, Robbie Ray (any of those guys can get an AAV of 8-12M)? Include them in the rotation with Sandy, Pablo, Sixto (inning restriction?) and whoever fills the 5th spot (Elieser?, but would like him to go to the bullpen and be a long relief guy) 

Bullpen is tricky, all guys are going to be cheapish with arbitration besides Kintzler option. Bleier was great as the "loogy". Maybe trade some prospects and dominate the 7,8,9.

Seems like all positions are locked. I hope Aguilar takes a discount and stays. That would be huge. Isan/Jazz/Berti? and Miggy Ro up the middle. Anderson on the corner. Dick, Marte, Cooper OF (not trusting any of the OF young guys TBH). Im going to assume Wallach stays with how the year ended and Alfaro learns to frame and hit again.

That leaves Berti as the main utility guy. Im not sure about the rest either. Mags, Monte, Lewis, Harold, and some IF guys?

But sign a utility vet, Marwin Gonzalez is a name that comes to mind. Bats from bat sides of the plate (Donnie doesn't have to play matchups game anymore) and can play corner OF and IF spots.  

Well, you can "win" the offseason and have that not mean anything.

Aguilar is arbitration eligible for the next couple of years (FA in 2023 according to Baseball Reference), so its up to the Marlins whether they want him or not, not him "taking a discount and staying."

• Like 1

Just now, rmc523 said:

Well, you can "win" the offseason and have that not mean anything.

Aguilar is arbitration eligible for the next couple of years (FA in 2023 according to Baseball Reference), so its up to the Marlins whether they want him or not, not him "taking a discount and staying."

ah ok, for some reason I thought he was UFA. 

4 hours ago, CoastieMike said:

Is Kintzler 4 MIL option worth it? Granted the short season, he had his best season in his 10 years. Stanek didnt show his dominance in relief, nobody really did.

I would say so. That’s what you would be paying for an above average reliever to begin with. I would still add somebody like Joakim Soria for about 5-6 just to extend it.

2 hours ago, CoastieMike said:

My offseason wishes.

You can give a prove it deal to Wood. I would actually pay to sign Brian McCann and make that my offseason splash. 

6 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

Nick Castellanos was an MVP candidate before he stumbled to.  Take no stock into that please. 

But JT is a catcher, ok that's a fair argument, but he's also an aging one, that may ask for a decade long contract, with the highest positional amount in history.  Give me a break, he's not even the best catcher in baseball and if he is, he won't sustain it.  He couldn't even preform in philly with a contract year.  

You can say the acquisitions of 2012 brought in attendance, but I think it was the new location that drawed fans in. Yeah, the attempt to bring in high profile players helped, but if it can't be filled later when Jose was on the mound and Stanton, Yelich and Ozuna was emerging as stars is a bit alarming.  Let's not forget JT didn't help attendance here either, but now all of a sudden he will.

The highest attendance was 1993,  1994, 1997, and 2012.  Two of those years 1993 & 2012 where expansion years and 1994 was a junior year, baseball was all fresh and 2012 was refreshing. (Although it had the opposite butterfly effect).  

Marlins are ready to win and they will, but the worst thing you can do is break up a young team who will be free agents in the middle of aging overpriced catcher. 

• Like 1