Joe Morgan passes away

Admin

1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

I agree and yet this is an unpopular opinion I believe. 

How good he was at it is highly debated but I watched/heard his broadcasts at a time when I didn't think about if the broadcasters were actually any good or not (sorry Hollandsworth, you get my wrath now) so with Joe Morgan I just remember his voice and get great memories of watching baseball as a kid. He called the 1997 World Series right?

Now that I think about it, there are probably way more people than we realize who have more memories of Joe as a broadcaster than as a player.

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

How good he was at it is highly debated but I watched/heard his broadcasts at a time when I didn't think about if the broadcasters were actually any good or not (sorry Hollandsworth, you get my wrath now) so with Joe Morgan I just remember his voice and get great memories of watching baseball as a kid. He called the 1997 World Series right?

Now that I think about it, there are probably way more people than we realize who have more memories of Joe as a broadcaster than as a player.

other than playing with him on MVP Baseball or MLBTS lol. 

This one hurts for sure, I'm one of those old folks that remember Joe as a player, a back to back MVP and the catalyst for the Big Red Machine as much as Rose or Bench, he was a joy to watch with his little arm flap at the plate and blazing speed on the base paths. It's startling to see so many great players dying as such an alarming rate recently especially these guys I watched as a kid.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 4:58 PM, fanofthefish said:

This one hurts for sure, I'm one of those old folks that remember Joe as a player, a back to back MVP and the catalyst for the Big Red Machine as much as Rose or Bench, he was a joy to watch with his little arm flap at the plate and blazing speed on the base paths. It's startling to see so many great players dying as such an alarming rate recently especially these guys I watched as a kid.

yes same.  I did that batting stance as a little kid in the Cincy suburb where I was born probably a million times.

Such a baseball giant, and so many got to hear Joe's voice call baseball games for years too.  Really sad to hear of his passing.