Cheap Jeter Won't Pay Closer Agreed Upon Contract Value

I think it's just something predictable, the pandemic affect every industry in the world and the MLB is not immune. Teams want to win but also want to reduce the financial loss, the team options declined would be the first step and it's foreseeable the FA market would be much cooler and many big name FAs would rather to take one year deal because of the uncertainty of the 2021 season ( have the season or not ? have 162 games or not ? have the fans in the stands or not ?).

• Like 1

This is a dumb move. You would think we would pay the difference just on appreciation alone for a really solid season.  

The bullpen doesn't even have an identity. At least solidify the closer and work your way down.  Kintzler probably isn't a prototype closer, but that position  needs as many options available with an already makeshift bullpen  

Maybe we have a different FA in mind but Kintzler is worth 4M. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, taiwanmarlin said:

It seems just be something that all teams have a tacit understanding. I decline my team options and you decline your team options, I don't touch your players and you don't touch my players then we all sign back our players in lower value contracts …

I believe that would violate some kind of anti-trust laws if they colluded to pay the players less like that

• Like 2

Confirmation from Kintzler's agent that he was told the option wasn't picked up because of financial uncertainty and needing to be careful with their dollars. Basically the same story from every team with all these options not being picked up.

Kintzler's agent also said that Brandon loved his time here and really wanted to be back but was disappointed in the decision and will consider all his options moving forward.

So like I said, teams are doing this to cut some corners financially (which is understandable) but there's also a great risk in suddenly allowing all these players the chance to test the market. I still think Kintzler was cheap enough and consistent enough that he was worth keeping at the very least for some stability in a bullpen that has way too many question marks at the moment and now you run the risk of opening up another hole in the pen if he gets a better offer elsewhere.

• Like 1

I really don't believe that there will be a drastic difference in the FA market financially based on the fact that teams want to compete. All it takes is a couple teams to set the market again and other teams will have to follow suit.  If teams want to win then it's inevitable and therefore universal, IMO.

9 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I really don't believe that there will be a drastic difference in the FA market financially based on the fact that teams want to compete. All it takes is a couple teams to set the market again and other teams will have to follow suit.  If teams want to win then it's inevitable and therefore universal, IMO.

Yeah, unless teams want to save money and don't want to win.