2020 Non-Tender Deadline

Absolutely loving this. The old Marlins would have just cut Aguilar for the money savings alone even though there was no real need to do it. But this time they were smart and creative to a degree, jumping right to a fair contract offer, avoiding arbitration, rewarding him for his role in our 2020 run, and keeping our options open as far as 1B, DH, and even potentially future trades.

The Miami Marlins still need to be smart with their finances yes but it shouldn't always feel like saving money is the priority over smart baseball decisions. 

• Like 1

I think that even with trying to save money, the Marlins need offense and non tendering Aguilar makes them significantly worse today and I feel like they're now trying to stay away from clearly stepping backwards. The PR line from front office types like Hill was always some general thing like "What can we do to make this team better" and this non tender would have been so clearly against that and so they probably just couldn't justify doing it. 

They can figure out the money saving situation later.

Also, they're probably pretty confident that the DH is gonna be there in 2021 and they already have the guy they need for that so why not keep him while you can?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I think that even with trying to save money, the Marlins need offense and non tendering Aguilar makes them significantly worse today and I feel like they're now trying to stay away from clearly stepping backwards. The PR line from front office types like Hill was always some general thing like "What can we do to make this team better" and this non tender would have been so clearly against that and so they probably just couldn't justify doing it. 

They can figure out the money saving situation later.

Also, they're probably pretty confident that the DH is gonna be there in 2021 and they already have the guy they need for that so why not keep him while you can?

They did give him a $4.35M contract for 1 year. Not sure what you're saying here.

I would prefer they trade him for whatever the top value they can get for a guy who hasn't exactly lit it up his whole career

54 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Wish Mattingly could have figured out how to use Stanek, but given his limitations as a manager, non-tendering Stanek was the right move. 

It's like Donnie is some kind of politician and you are the disgruntled voter, ranting while casually agreeing with the Stanek move.  

Unless you like to see Marlins lose, you really can't blame Donnie on how he used Stanek.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

It's like Donnie is some kind of politician and you are the disgruntled voter, ranting while casually agreeing with the Stanek move.  

Unless you like to see Marlins lose, you really can't blame Donnie on how he used Stanek.

But the way he used Stanek was a way to make the Marlins lose? Stanek was EXCELLENT in the role he played for the Rays. He never once played that role as a Marlin.

6 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

But the way he used Stanek was a way to make the Marlins lose? Stanek was EXCELLENT in the role he played for the Rays. He never once played that role as a Marlin.

If I remember he was given the same role in 2019 after the trade and it went downhill from there.  

6 hours ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

If I remember he was given the same role in 2019 after the trade and it went downhill from there.  

He was an opener for Tampa Bay. The marlins were using him as a setup man most of the time and I don’t believe they ever used him as an opener.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Something's wrong with Stanek if he can't pitch as good at 9pm than he can at 7:05pm. 

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Could be as a simple as warming up differently when he is starting vs when he is relieving. 

Yep. Both statements are fairly accurate here.

Maybe he should just transition to a starter. 🤷‍♂️

I get that there's a big difference between starting and relieving as far as preparation and other factors but at the end of the day no matter what inning he comes in Ryne Stanek's job is still to get the hitters out. He's doing something wrong if he suddenly sucks just because he's not being used as an opener.

As Mish implies here, things were just off for Stanek with the Marlins and he probably will do fine with a change of scenery elsewhere.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, marlinsmaniac said:

He was an opener for Tampa Bay. The marlins were using him as a setup man most of the time and I don’t believe they ever used him as an opener.

My mistake then.  I'm very surprised he had any success as an opener with how poor he's been.   

SITA has a tiny point of being right in his dramatic way. 

• Like 1