Starling Marte Has Non-Displaced Rib Fracture

2 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Mish says this could be a "long term" or a "short term" thing. He reports that he does not know if this is the "best case" or "worst case" scenario.

Lots of solid reporting there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
1 minute ago, canada-marlin24 said:

They said he would refrain from activity for 5-7 days. 

I am no doctor but this doesn't seem like anything crazy, does it?

Seems better than a muscle injury. 

My guess is that they go with a Brinson / Mags platoon. However, since they optioned him last week, I'm pretty sure that Brinson can't be called up until Wednesday. So they will call up Monte for one game and then Brinson for Wednesday.

Just now, FishFan95 said:

My guess is that they go with a Brinson / Mags platoon. However, since they optioned him last week, I'm pretty sure that Brinson can't be called up until Wednesday. So they will call up Monte for one game and then Brinson for Wednesday.

An injury allows a guy to come back quicker than the 10 days

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SongInTheAir said:

Mish says this could be a "long term" or a "short term" thing. He reports that he does not know if this is the "best case" or "worst case" scenario.

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

1 hour ago, SongInTheAir said:

He's the best.

Craig is a straight shooter. He's telling us he's not sure on the duration, that's fine. He doesn't want to increase either hope or fear, just presenting the facts as he knows them - something we don't see often in journalism anymore. It's refreshing. Really not sure why you guys crap on him semi often.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, canada-marlin24 said:

If you know Brinson isn’t in the plans why not just give the chance to Harrison? 

Not using one of Monte's options is one big reason here.

Lewis just has to be serviceable. Not even *good*.

20 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Taking pointers from Frisaro?  Lol

18 hours ago, Michael said:

Craig is a straight shooter. He's telling us he's not sure on the duration, that's fine. He doesn't want to increase either hope or fear, just presenting the facts as he knows them - something we don't see often in journalism anymore. It's refreshing. Really not sure why you guys crap on him semi often.

Definitely.  Craig's good at his job.  I'd rather have him say he doesn't know than make up a "for sure" thing and be completely wrong.

11 minutes ago, Michael said:

Not using one of Monte's options is one big reason here.

Lewis just has to be serviceable. Not even *good*.

Monte's option is already burned (he's been on the 40-man since last year). But by calling up Brinson before, what?, 10 days they are possible retaining another option year for Brinson. That could make 2022's roster crunch easier to deal with (and Brinson easier to trade).

Moreover, y'all are forgetting how good Brinson looked in a platoon role in 2020. I think he's got a shot to play well (certainly not replace Marte, but help keep the team afloat in Marte's absence).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Monte's option is already burned (he's been on the 40-man since last year). But by calling up Brinson before, what?, 10 days they are possible retaining another option year for Brinson. That could make 2022's roster crunch easier to deal with (and Brinson easier to trade).

Hadn't realized that burned Monte's option years, m'bad then!

And also didn’t know this could save Brinson's option year. Teach me more about these options, please.

5 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Moreover, y'all are forgetting how good Brinson looked in a platoon role in 2020. I think he's got a shot to play well (certainly not replace Marte, but help keep the team afloat in Marte's absence).

What? No on the Brinson thing. Brinson's option for this year has already been used, it can't be retained.