6/3 Postgame Thread

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Jokes aside, I do believe that Jeter wants to win, interviews like the one above show me the mindset he has... so this is why I wish we could figure out what in the blue hell is going on. There is no way he's happy right now with this embarrassment of late. It's shocking that the guy in that interview is letting all of this happen under his watch.

Jeter had no qualifications for the position he has other than the name Derek Jeter.

The lack of experience is galling.  But it is what it is.

People are surprised Jeter seems ill prepared or something.... 

Jeter and Sherman can talk about wanting to win all they want.  Until they open up the budget to spend money its all cheap talk.

Ng cant do anything really if she has no budget to do anything end of day.

2 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Jeter had no qualifications for the position he has other than the name Derek Jeter.

Jeter and Sherman can talk about wanting to win all they want.  Until they open up the budget to spend money its all cheap talk.

The Rays don't spend money, and they win. 

1 minute ago, Das Texan said:

This is what really irks me. 

"Let's hire the first female GM and pat ourselves on the back but then give her no money to use to better the team and put her stamp on it"

Hiring her was their best move of the offseason but what was the fucking point of making a splashy hire if you're going to handcuff them from doing much of anything?

• Like 1

Just now, Erick said:

The Rays don't spend money, and they win. 

The Rays didnt transform their system overnight as well.

You are asking Ng to transform an entire organization with no money in 6 months.

You either have to be patient or wait or spend money.

If neither happens, you cant expect things to magically improve.

1 minute ago, Das Texan said:

The Rays didnt transform their system overnight as well.

You are asking Ng to transform an entire organization with no money in 6 months.

You either have to be patient or wait or spend money.

If neither happens, you cant expect things to magically improve.

Huh?  The rebuild was started years ago.  She's not starting from scratch.

• Like 2

Rays are also the exception to the rule. 

Additionally, do any of us really have the patience to continue to sit around and wait for the team to be competitive through more drafting and more trades, etc.?  Honestly?  This has been the 5,356th rebuild by now - each time with the promise of "just give it another 3-5 years to really be competitive again".  It's a cop-out.  You can build from within AND spend at the same time. it's what most successful clubs do, and we as fans, continually give free passes to the owners to not spend because we believe in "the process" and promise of prospects panning out.  Fact is this team has AWFUL bats in our every day lineup and also in the minors and it was like that before the season began.  Money should have been spent here to address this.  Additionally, you simply DON'T KNOW how prospects will pan out and circumstances are sometimes simply out of a team's control (see: Jose Fernandez) so continually refusing to spend because of "Well be good in x years so blah blah blah we're not spending now blah blah blah" is just a cheap cop out as a LOT can change in that many years.

If this group was being honest all along with the intention of really spending when necessary then they also would have acted ELATED that some of their fruits blossomed much sooner than expected last season but it feels like they were more irked that it happened this soon because that didn't match up with whatever the timeline was for project wolverine or whatever stupid name it had, and people were expecting them spend a little bit to push them to the next level.

Most owners don't buy baseball teams to make a living, it's really a hobby for them or for bragging rights, etc..  The Marlins HAVE their stadium which was always the biggest gripe.  But still "wait another x number of years".  I understand that yes, there are lulls between competitiveness but they WERE competitive last year and this group let that die on the vine so to speak by doing NOTHING about the inconsistent offense. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The system sucks in terms of the type of players you'd need to have something similar to the Rays.

The system was not built to be like the Rays.

You cant just make a hard turn and expect things to improve overnight.

The lack of depth in the infield is awful.  that's not on Ng when she has no money.

The upper level pitching depth is kinda trash as well (especially relief corp), also not on Ng, this is partially whey they had two Rule 5 picks in the bullpen to start the year. You have to take a chance somewhere and with no budget.....

The upper level outfield depth is trash.  Also not on Ng.

The best prospects in the Marlin system really arent ready to contribute in the MLB.

Again, if you arent willing to spend and your upper level minor league system is pretty fucking bad, what the hell do you expect?

28 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Also, the Rays would have NEVER made the Yelich trade the way it was done.

That alone has kinda fucked and hamstrung the Marlins, that you have to really spend money to recover from that big of a fuck up or just accept it and wait for it to cycle through. (it hasnt and is really only about halfway there)

Jeter is only a part owner but this isn't about ownership, he's the CEO and has assumed the spot as the top guy so yes everything needs to come down on him. I give Sherman more of a pass because he has very clearly taken a hands off approach and has given Jeter almost all of the decision making power. Sherman is above Jeter but he has clearly given Jeter the wheel. Jeter isn't just a part owner and nothing else. The only thing to fully blame Sherman would be payroll limits but even then they've made it sound like Jeter would be the guy to ask for that from Sherman so, again, back to Jeter.

2 hours ago, Erick said:

Normally, the GM gets blamed when things go wrong, but, in our case, it’s Jeter even though that’s not his title.

Yes this is true. I think it's both depending on what we're complaining about. But the way things are now, if Ng is doing something it's because Jeter is allowing it, that's why Jeter gets the brunt of this.

40 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Yeah but Jeter is absolutely not doing this by himself. He has clearly surrounded himself with others who are directed to carry out his "we must win" plan. His lack of experience is kinda irrelevant because he isn't the only guy trying to do the job here, he has hired many people who are supposed to fill in the gaps of his inexperience. 

14 minutes ago, Michael said:

How about we all just take this weekend off from watching the team? 🤷‍♂️ Go do something else for a couple days.

I'll be going to Disney.

9 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

The system sucks in terms of the type of players you'd need to have something similar to the Rays.

The system was not built to be like the Rays.

You cant just make a hard turn and expect things to improve overnight.

The lack of depth in the infield is awful.  that's not on Ng when she has no money.

The upper level pitching depth is kinda trash as well (especially relief corp), also not on Ng, this is partially whey they had two Rule 5 picks in the bullpen to start the year. You have to take a chance somewhere and with no budget.....

The upper level outfield depth is trash.  Also not on Ng.

The best prospects in the Marlin system really arent ready to contribute in the MLB.

Again, if you arent willing to spend and your upper level minor league system is pretty fucking bad, what the hell do you expect?

I mean it's the 857th rebuild

1 minute ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah but Jeter is absolutely not doing this by himself. He has clearly surrounded himself with others who are directed to carry out his "we must win" plan. His lack of experience is kinda irrelevant because he isn't the only guy trying to do the job here, he has hired many people who are supposed to fill in the gaps of his inexperience. 

We must win and we dont spend are two vastly different viewpoints.

And if you want to be the point man you have to take the responsibility and be willing to take the horns. You have to have some working knowledge and all along the way, which Jeter lacks bigly.

Let's talk about the Rays.  They dont spend on players.

Supposedly they spend plenty on scouting and front office types.   They have found spending on those levels is more efficient.  

Do the Marlins spend on scouting and/or front office people?

2 hours ago, Michael said:

How about we all just take this weekend off from watching the team? 🤷‍♂️ Go do something else for a couple days.

Although I agree with this I know I can never fully leave this abusive relationship and will likely watch each game until they're losing again. Plus, I enjoy being angry with the rest of you glorious people. 

Edited by hovertical
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I am mad at the front office and the manager, but I still love the players and will watch the games and root hard for them.

Same here... 🥺😔💔 In fact Im gonna be at the whole homestand again.... 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️masochist...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I agree with this but the thing that gets me is... there's no way they really don't care right? There has to be an explanation to their lack of action right? 

I'm so curious to what they would say to a close friend or family member as to why they haven't done more.

I can't believe these people really bought this team to purposely do nothing, it makes no sense. 

I'm just trying to wrap my head around their extreme lack of urgency.

$$$ 😎

21 hours ago, Erick said:

Jazz is a diva who can’t play SS. I wonder if he’ll retweet more videos of himself tonight right after a loss. 

Jazz is not a diva. A diva is all talk, no effort. Hanley was a diva who would jog after balls in the field and wouldn't run hard on balls hit in play. Acuna is more of a diva. Jazz is just a high energy player who plays the game with a lot of passion and energy. Always see him playing hard. You guys think that Jose was a diva? Just because he goes through some struggles, does not mean that he is not playing the game the right way.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

Jazz is not a diva. A diva is all talk, no effort. Hanley was a diva who would jog after balls in the field and wouldn't run hard on balls hit in play. Acuna is more of a diva. Jazz is just a high energy player who plays the game with a lot of passion and energy. Always see him playing hard. You guys think that Jose was a diva? Just because he goes through some struggles, does not mean that he is not playing the game the right way.

I agree with this. I've only seen Jazz busting his ass and trying to be superhuman in the field. Hanley was the epitome of a diva. I am NOT putting Jazz in that lot.

12 hours ago, FishFan95 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Yes Jazz is gonna have to deliver behind his energy but I don't see a diva in Jazz and Acuna definitely has more diva traits even though he does deliver.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I was thinking the same thing. Yes Jazz is gonna have to deliver behind his energy but I don't see a diva in Jazz and Acuna definitely has more diva traits even though he does deliver.

If Jazz becomes as good as Acuna I'll tolerate the diva act though 🙂