Getting Shushed in Marlins Park

This the second time this has happened this season. Me and my friends/ brother/ people around us are cheering, heckling, etc. and this wack ass security guy comes over and tells us to settle down. I think it was the same guy, 2 different times weeks apart. The first time he even threatened to kick us out. 

This is clean heckling, standard stuff like booing at a pickoff attempt or calling players dumb corny names (the guy next to us was calling Josh Bell, churchbell. such high quality content), no cursing or actual insults. There were some Yankees fans nearby and they were laughing at the thought of being shushed at a ballgame. There was even a second attendant nearby and he was legit embarrassed. 

When you're averaging 8k fans and the energy is like a library, maybe don't harass the few guys that are showing up and showing out. We're just trying to have some fun 

• Shocked 2

5 minutes ago, el crustachio said:

This the second time this has happened this season. Me and my friends/ brother/ people around us are cheering, heckling, etc. and this wack ass security guy comes over and tells us to settle down. I think it was the same guy, 2 different times weeks apart. The first time he even threatened to kick us out. 

This is clean heckling, standard stuff like booing at a pickoff attempt or calling players dumb corny names (the guy next to us was calling Josh Bell, churchbell. such high quality content), no cursing or actual insults. There were some Yankees fans nearby and they were laughing at the thought of being shushed at a ballgame. There was even a second attendant nearby and he was legit embarrassed. 

When you're averaging 8k fans and the energy is like a library, maybe don't harass the few guys that are showing up and showing out. We're just trying to have some fun 

I'd email everyone possible in the organization about that idiot. That's not cool and that's a wonderful way of making fans not return to the ballpark. I dealt with a really stupid usher once who pissed me off so badly and I'm the most patient guy, it takes so much to get me upset in that setting but it was nothing like what you're saying happened to you. 

• Like 1

And I'd make a big deal and say you aren't going to any more games if that's the atmosphere they're creating.

I'd actually assume that the attendant is a moron who doesn't know what normal etiquette at a sporting event is and is probably just ignorant in thinking that you were behaving poorly. He probably really thinks he's doing his job right. I can't believe that the Marlins or the ballpark staff would all agree with that person so it's worth bringing up because that's an employee who is hurting the business. 

• Like 1

I'm debating how much effort I want to put into this, I'm pretty lazy as things go. Also, he was older than most, probably a manager, and seemed more like a guy who has gotten very comfortable with his quiet easy job at empty marlins games. I sent them an email and I think I'm going to read the room based on their response. 

In general though, I have found that the ushers are kinda like security in the airport, some will let a few extra pound on your bag slide, and let you in to the express lane if its empty, and others will charge you 70 dollars if your bag is at 50.1 pounds. Its funny to me that they have 8k fans and theyre harrassing me because I moved up to the empty front row of my section. 

• Like 1

just spoke to the guy from customer service and honestly he listened to me go on for a bit and he was very polite. im genuinely surprised they even answered my email, and i think this is one of the best customer service experiences ive had. now the question is will it happen again on sunday

• Like 2

1 minute ago, el crustachio said:

just spoke to the guy from customer service and honestly he listened to me go on for a bit and he was very polite. im genuinely surprised they even answered my email, and i think this is one of the best customer service experiences ive had. now the question is will it happen again on sunday

I am going to complain if you are too loud. It's hard for me to read my book, when people are acting like clowns are making noise. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

I am going to complain if you are too loud. It's hard for me to read my book, when people are acting like clowns are making noise. 

yesterday there was also some crochety old guy who went crazy yelling at some kids who where holding up a little sign and cheering for cooper or something. he was telling them to shut up and that no one could see their tiny sign anyway

People at baseball games suck sometimes. I look back at a time when I was like 14 and went with my best friend. He kept making some weird noise after every strike and this grown ass 45 year old turns around and says something like "you're upsetting my wife. If you don't stop we're going to have a problem". At 14, you stop. At 30... You have the problem.... Who says that to two kids at a baseball game?

People are such tools sometimes.

2 hours ago, Entendu said:

People at baseball games suck sometimes. I look back at a time when I was like 14 and went with my best friend. He kept making some weird noise after every strike and this grown ass 45 year old turns around and says something like "you're upsetting my wife. If you don't stop we're going to have a problem". At 14, you stop. At 30... You have the problem.... Who says that to two kids at a baseball game?

People are such tools sometimes.

That dude must have peaked in high school and still has the brain of a senior picking on a freshman. What a pathetic bag of meat. 

• Like 1

Yeah, this whole thread makes me angry because I too would be replaying it in my head about what I should have done or said. Glad you talked to customer service. This, honestly, shouldn't continue from the usher and the only way to get it to stop is if someone speaks up and makes a complaint.

13 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I'd email everyone possible in the organization about that idiot. That's not cool and that's a wonderful way of making fans not return to the ballpark. I dealt with a really stupid usher once who pissed me off so badly and I'm the most patient guy, it takes so much to get me upset in that setting but it was nothing like what you're saying happened to you. 

read sesame street GIF by PBS KIDS

6 hours ago, QbanCastillo said:

read sesame street GIF by PBS KIDS

You know how the steps between the sections have a railing down the middle that separates the one aisle into two sides? I was going to what were my usual seats at the time so I knew exactly where I was going, and I showed the guy my tickets and I started to head down the apparently "wrong" side of the railing and the guy stopped me, told me I was going the wrong way, and demanded I go on the other side of the railing. It was so stupid but I explained that I was going the right way because I knew where my seats were and he told me again that I was wrong. When I realized what he was telling me I was so aggravated by his ignorance, or better said floored by his stupidity. It was a dumb thing to get upset over so I dropped it but those are the little things that can ruin an experience for a customer.

I remember going to a game one time at Pro Player Stadium and an old man asking a bunch of people to be quiet because he wanted to listen to the game on the radio.

That was my weirdest moment with a fan at a Marlins game. 

I’ve actually never understood that in general. Why go to the game and listen on the radio at the same time?

I never had any issues in ol' Joe Robbie the few times I made it there (lived in Tampa as a kid but my dad would take me to an occasional game down there as a treat because Marlins were my team). 

I did get asked to go back to my seats at the Trop once though. We were literally sitting second level down third base line about 4 rows back from the front row along the ledge and like most games there (and at Loan Depot) it's a freaking ghost town.  We moved up to the front row in about the 5th inning and sure as shit, usher immediately pops up and asks us to move back to our seats.  there was NOBODY within probably 100 seats or more of us.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

once had an usher tell me to not jog up the stairs for safety reasons.

This one makes sense though, you can't really enforce this but I can see someone saying it the same way a parent tells a kid "be careful" when they're playing outside. 

I wouldn't be mad at an employee telling me that. 

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

I did get asked to go back to my seats at the Trop once though. We were literally sitting second level down third base line about 4 rows back from the front row along the ledge and like most games there (and at Loan Depot) it's a freaking ghost town.  We moved up to the front row in about the 5th inning and sure as shit, usher immediately pops up and asks us to move back to our seats.  there was NOBODY within probably 100 seats or more of us.

This is annoying. If you're not taking anyone's seats this is a dumb thing to enforce.