Don Mattingly Not Returning in 2023

Michael

19 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

As expected, the Twitter take is that Donnie was great, it's not his fault that the roster was so bad. The roster was bad and Donnie was bad, both can be true at the same time. 

Most the takes I've seen were simply how he's a good person, haven't seen much of anything about his managing.

1 hour ago, FishFan95 said:

Considering the Yankees went to the World Series in 6 of the next 8 seasons after Mattingly left the first time and the Dodgers went to 3 of the next 5 World Series after he left, what is the feeling in Marlinsland?

Considering most of us wanted him gone a few years ago, good lol

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

Most the takes I've seen were simply how he's a good person, haven't seen much of anything about his managing.

yeah, i mean the players absolutely LOVED him in 2020 for sure.  He's very much a player's manager for sure and he can say he played at an all-star level as well for a number of seasons so that all aligns.  BUUUUUUUUUUUT....that's where the positives stop.

waiting for LaRussa to get better and then Kim can trade Jazz to the Sox to snag a top notch vet manager!

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

yeah, i mean the players absolutely LOVED him in 2020 for sure.  He's very much a player's manager for sure and he can say he played at an all-star level as well for a number of seasons so that all aligns.  BUUUUUUUUUUUT....that's where the positives stop.

waiting for LaRussa to get better and then Kim can trade Jazz to the Sox to snag a top notch vet manager!

Come on now, she’d think he’s worth at least Jazz and Sandy. 

30 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I am serious when I say I think Miggy Ro is going to get an interview for the job. Either as a deal to retire and change to manager or a modern day player-manager.

I thought about this earlier this season but I HOPE the FO has soured a little but on Rojas for his whining this year - but the thing that concerns me is that he also seemed to be running the same line Ng was about the team is just having bad luck and we need to be "patient".  She might be her perfect Yes man for the job.

I still don't think it happens because next to LaRussa coming here that would probably be about the worst possible thing I could imagine but you never know with Kim as this would be the easiest hire in the sense he's already here.  You'd think at some point she'd start taking her job seriously and actually putting in some effort to better the team though. 

52 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I am serious when I say I think Miggy Ro is going to get an interview for the job. Either as a deal to retire and change to manager or a modern day player-manager.

Nah I don't see that anymore. His role as a team leader was drastically changed this season. I don't think that would even be worth exploring. 

People will bring up Lowell and Conine but I think Joe Espada really needs a strong look. 

Some will say Maddon but I don't see that for multiple reasons, he's really not a good fit here at all.

I don't see this FO going for any "name" manager. They'll probably attempt the young office guy thing that a lot of teams have tried in recent memory. Like Servais in Seattle and Hinch way back with Arizona. 

And another important question is how bad does Don leaving screw our chances of keeping Mel? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Not happening obviously but imagine the uproar here if they tried the Dan Jennings route with Kim Ng and made her the manager!

For the optics of course! And it also saves Bruce money not having to hire anyone new! 

"Kim, why did you leave Brax in after 177 pitches and having given up 32 runs?"

"I just sat back and waited for a reliever to call me."

• Haha 2

Well, finally happened. I was sort of expecting at least one more year of Donnie being here, but well time for someone new.

My predictions..

Either someone we’ve never heard about from the Yankees organization, like a AA manager.

Or a Yankees star player like a Jorge Posada or Bernie Williams.

Or someone who once played on the Yankees but wasn’t a star player.

Or someone who once attended a game at Yankee stadium.

Or Todd Hollandsworth.

Or MLB’s first female manager.

Or Ichiro (I like that one, actually, but it would never happen.)

But in all seriousness, I am kind of seeing the Marlins going with the young rookie manager route, it seems to fit in with their culture/budget, so basically once again another 3-5 years away from competing scenario. But we shall see what happens.

😂

Edited by SirFishFan

Don's comments today on the state of the organization, and why it was time to go, and on what should be next were all pretty spot on.

I hope Kim and Sherman understand it the way he does.

For the future Donnie basically said there's things in place but Kim has to figure it out, fix it, make it work. I feel like he implied that something's missing, and he acknowledged he wasn't getting them over the hump.

It seems like all that should be obvious but I'm not convinced everyone in the front office gets it. 

10 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Don's comments today on the state of the organization, and why it was time to go, and on what should be next were all pretty spot on.

I hope Kim and Sherman understand it the way he does.

For the future Donnie basically said there's things in place but Kim has to figure it out, fix it, make it work. I feel like he implied that something's missing, and he acknowledged he wasn't getting them over the hump.

It seems like all that should be obvious but I'm not convinced everyone in the front office gets it. 

yeah, you'd hope they take the feedback to heart but there are a lot of times (not just in Marlins land either) where the FO folks refuse to blame themselves for any shortcomings and thus a new manager will magically fix everything.  The constant "it's just bad luck" drivel concerns me that it may be one of those types of offices that don't think they've done anything wrong.  "Don was here when I started this job - it's all his fault. I gave him ALL the pieces to succeed and he just wasn't 'modern' enough to manage them!"

Hope I'm wrong!

(Time to reset the clock?)