2023/24 Off-Season

A 3-year deal for Soler seems risky, but I still think they should have offered the QO originally. I never agreed with that decision especially for a team that prioritizes being cheap and needs all the prospects it can get. Even if he had picked it up, it would've been fine. Not like they have a massive payroll.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Admin said:

A 3-year deal for Soler seems risky, but I still think they should have offered the QO originally. I never agreed with that decision especially for a team that prioritizes being cheap and needs all the prospects it can get. Even if he had picked it up, it would've been fine. Not like they have a massive payroll.

I agree they should've done that QO.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

"If you ask me, I think it's a good thing you got [Soler] off your payroll. I think it opens up a whole world of exciting possibilities."

- Peter Brand, Moneyball (2011)

Sure.  If you actually do something to create those "exciting possibilities".........I don't think Peter Brand was referring to lining the owner's pockets as an "exciting possibility".

• Like 1

14  million AAV is too much for Bruce Sherman to pay a player. That's not how it works in Bruce land.

The QO was something like 20 million, there is NO WAY Bruce was paying that even if for one year in a million years now!

As always....cheapness wins out.

3 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

14  million AAV is too much for Bruce Sherman to pay a player. That's not how it works in Bruce land.

The QO was something like 20 million, there is NO WAY Bruce was paying that even if for one year in a million years now!

As always....cheapness wins out.

I still believe Soler may have declined the QO anyway as he wanted to secure a multi-year deal. Would have been worth the "risk" but yeah Sherman is a cheap fuck.

Mish believes that the Marlins believed he would have accepted the $20 million QO and so it wasn't offered because they didn't even think he was worth that.

That has to be true because if it was just about getting a draft pick there was zero reason to not give the QO. Not giving it means they didn't want to risk keeping him.

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Mish believes that the Marlins believed he would have accepted the $20 million QO and so it wasn't offered because they didn't even think he was worth that.

That has to be true because if it was just about getting a draft pick there was zero reason to not give the QO. Not giving it means they didn't want to risk keeping him.

Still should have offered it regardless. 

I understand wanting a draft pick but I was not and am not a Soler fan so I'm fine without him being on the team.  If they legit thought he'd have taken 20mil then I'd prefer not to have him on the team and the offer not having been made. 

I also feel that in lieu of signing Soler they should have targeted someone who could get on base at a good clip and who is a base stealing threat (ability to play decent defense would have been a plus).  I also would have liked to have seen them just release Avi and eat the cost of the remaining two years as part of the tradeoff for not signing Soler.  I think Burger will easily help offset some of the power Soler added and I think he'll also get on base at a better clip. I'd much rather have had someone who could get on base regularly and steal bags versus Soler in the lineup.  It actually doesn't bother me that much they didn't extend the offer to him if they truly thought he'd have taken it. 

I also do not trust his ability to have consistently good seasons - which, in looking at his career, is pretty hard to ignore.

• Like 1