Everything posted by HelmsE
-
One team is going for the sweep....and it's not the Mets :mischief
Wow, not much of a crowd for the game today... lets go fish
-
What Movie(s) Did You Watch Today?
Once - Really Really lovely indie(as in both an indie film and independent music) musical which features a boy meets girl story about an aspiring musician who meets a truly talented pianist and both change each other for the better and you know the work, but this movie breaks the traditional mold and is not pretensious at all. It just tells a really raw, honest film which could easily be real. I highly recommend this and will cetainly be in at least my top three this year. 8/10 I've been wanting to see "Once" for a while but haven't had any luck finding a solid copy of it to download. Hopefully once it's released on dvd it will be available. That being said I watched Before Sunset again last night. It's an indie film that was released a few years ago starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Deply. The movie itself is a sequel to the movie Before Sunrise, which was released in 1995. It's a very simple, dialog driven film with great cinematography. One of my top 10-15 film. If you have the chance, check it out.
-
Tomorrow's starter
I don't know much about this guy but am interested to see how he does. Looks like I'll be staying up until 2 to watch this one.
-
well...it's official
Should be an interesting game to watch.
- Happy B-Day to me.....
-
The All Purpose Football (Soccer) Thread
This is a fantastic thread, it's good to see some football fans out there. I just recently started following the EPL as it is very popular out here in Bulgaria and have been a following Italian football for about five years now. That being said, the teams I follow both have seen better times: Perugia hasn't recovered after being relegated to serie B in 2004 after losing a playoff to Fiorentina. In 2005 after barely missing the playoff for promotion the team was relegated once again to serie C after the owner ran into financial problems with the league. Perugia was once home to players such at Gennaro Gattuso and Fabrizio "The White Feather" Ravanelli. CSKA Sofia is one of the two teams from Sofia who continually fight for the league championship. Despite there being 16 teams in the league, everyone in Bulgaria aligns themselves with one of the two Sofia-based teams, CSKA or Levski. Despite the fact that CSKA is historically the better team, Levski has dominated the league since 1993, winning 8 championships compared to CSKA's 3. The jury is still out on which EPL team I support. Most people in town are fans of Manchester United although it's never fun to cheer for the perennial favorites.
-
Big news from Bratsigovo
For the past year I have had the pleasure of washing my clothes and sheets by hand. Not a bad task in the sweltering heat of summer but not enjoyable in the middle of a Balkan winter when the only heater in my apartment is in the other room. Early last week I was chatting with a few grandmas down on the bench across the street when for some reason or another, they inquired as to if I had a washing machine or not. After replying that I did not, one of them smiled and replied, "I'll see if I can help out." I thought nothing of it until yesterday evening when there was a knock on my door and the previously stated baba told me "I have a present for you!" That's right, a washing machine. Before getting overly excited at this prospect, take a glance at the enclosed picture of the washing machine. As you can see from the picture, this "washing machine" is a large, circular bucket that has a hose running from the base of the bucket, to the top. On the back side of the machine is a dial which can be set anywhere from one to six minutes, depending on just how long you want your clothes to swirl around in the bucket. This all of course, is plugged into the wall by an old, patched, and probably quite dangerous cord. "How did it go?" you may be asking yourself. Well, it went... As far as can tell, this machine is used solely to swirl your clothes around in soapy water. There is no rinse cycle, no dry cycle, simply a swirl cycle. I was then forced to rinse my clothes by hand, ring them out, and hang them on the clotheslines on my balcony. Overall, I'd say it was a smashing success.
-
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
:lol Such a great show. Hopefully the new episodes will be up on some of the torrent sites.
-
My Display/Screen Name
I voted yes simply to be be a dissenting vote although I do see a strong argument for having a screen name that means something. That being said, I have one of the worst screen names on mb.com so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
-
BK Kim gone?
I cant' seem to make much sense out of this move still. As far as I can tell it just means we're throwing in the towel on this season and looking to save some money. Although following that mindset I would have thought some moves would be made before the trade deadline. hmm
-
Speculation of Dontrelle to NY
Interesting speculation. I suppose we'll know within the day if there is any weight behind it
-
Official 07-08 College Football Thread....
Mark my words, the Colorado Buffaloes will finish with a better record than they did last year... 2-10 should not be hard to beat
- Hi
-
Can you hit a MLB fastball?
.02 HR although I was guessing a bit
-
Bulgarian Medics Released to Bulgaria
I'm not sure if anyone has been following this but it has been a huge issue in Bulgaria as well as the rest of Europe for the previous eight years. The medics were convicted of intentionally infecting over 400 kids with HIV and were sentenced to death by the government of Libya. HIV medics released to Bulgaria Six Bulgarian medics who were serving life sentences in Libya have arrived in Bulgaria following their release, ending their eight-year incarceration. They were immediately pardoned by Bulgarian President Georgi Parvanov. The five nurses and a Palestinian-born doctor were convicted of deliberately infecting Libyan children with HIV - charges they have always denied. An EU official told the BBC the release had been made possible by a deal struck in Tripoli on improving Libya-EU ties. It comes after years of efforts by the European Commission, with the EU's external affairs commissioner, Benita Ferrero-Waldner, making numerous trips to Libya, meeting the prisoners and working to improve the conditions for hundreds of children with HIV/Aids. Ms Ferrero-Waldner and Cecilia Sarkozy, the wife of France's President Nicolas Sarkozy, accompanied the Bulgarians home. On their arrival aboard a French government plane at Sofia airport the medics were greeted on the tarmac by tearful relatives and well-wishers. Mrs Ferrero-Waldner said she was "filled with joy" and described their release as "a humanitarian decision" and "the right decision". She told the BBC it marked "a new page in the history of relations between the EU and Libya". French President Nicolas Sarkozy said he would make a "political visit" to Libya on Wednesday to help the country "rejoin the international community". Earlier, Mr Sarkozy and European Commission chief Jose Manuel Barroso welcomed the agreement, paying tribute to Ms Ferrero-Waldner, and the mediation of the emir of Qatar. Archaeological help According to EU officials the key to the agreement has been a memorandum signed in Tripoli by Ms Ferrero-Waldner, which would lead to the full normalisation of EU relations with Libya. The BBC's Oana Lungescu says it includes a pledge to open the European market to Libyan farm and fishery produce, technical assistance for the restoration of archaeological monuments and EU grants for Libyan students. It also included measures to improve the medical care of the children infected with HIV/Aids in Libya, the French presidential palace said. Libya said it had ordered the release of the medical workers after it was satisfied that the conditions for extradition had been met. "The matter has been settled. We received guarantees for the normalisation of relations with European countries and for a partnership agreement with the EU," a Libyan official told the AFP news agency. Last week, the six had death sentences commuted to life in prison by Libya's top legal body. The High Judicial Council ruling came after the families of the 438 children agreed a compensation deal reportedly worth $1m (?500,000) per child. Transfer deal Bulgaria had officially asked Libya to repatriate the medics so they could serve out their sentences in Bulgaria. Bulgaria's President Parvanov said he was satisfied with their release. "The dramatic case with the sentenced innocent Bulgarian citizens is at its end. We are still sympathetic with the other tragedy - the one of the infected Libyan children and their families," he said. The Palestinian doctor was granted Bulgarian citizenship last month to allow him to benefit from any transfer deal. The medics were convicted of deliberately injecting 438 children with HIV-tainted blood. Fifty-six children have since died. The six, who have been in prison since 1999, say they were tortured to confess. Foreign experts say the infections started before the medics arrived at the hospital, and are more likely to have been a result of poor hygiene. Bulgaria, its allies in the European Union, and the United States say Libya has used the case to deflect criticism from its run-down health service. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6912965.stm
-
Price is Right
Drew Carey? I don't really know what to think. I suppose it can't be worse than his continually failing attempts at humor on the Drew Carey Show or Whose Line is it Anyways.
-
redbox: Blockbuster & NetFlix killer?
Redbox has been in Colorado for quite some time now and it's a pretty good system. The only problem is the limited selection and it's hard to find copies of the more popular movies.
-
If the election was today, who would you vote for?
Although it is a bit early to say, I'm leaning towards Obama at this point.
- Alejandro De Aza update
- Hey guys
-
Cheney To Become President
It's not a "routine procedure" in this case. First, the doctor is going to have to remove Bush's head from the cavity before the probe can be inserted. haha :lol
-
Game Thoughts 7/20
Great win on all fronts. Hopefully we can take some momentum from the game and keep playing well.
-
Ramp is going to Europe
Have a great time. Although I agree with Mabdul, it is not worth spending 4 days in Milan. Although there are a few good sites to see, it is one of the least impressive cities in Italy. I would look to take some day trips instead. Perugia is a brilliant city between Rome and Florence which is worth checking out. Plus, it is by Assisi which is a great little. If you have the time, San Gimiano and Le Cinque Terre are also incredible.
- Oh DAMN!
-
Braves acquire Julio Franco
48 years old and still playing in the big leagues... very impressive