Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

alejandrasnow

Members
  • Joined

Everything posted by alejandrasnow

  1. How about 7 scoreless innings from Brad Hand? :thumbup That's 13 straight shutout innings now in his 2 playoff starts. I'd say he's taking to AA just fine. Suns lead 2 games to 1, I'll be at Game 4 tomorrow as they go for their second straight Southern League title. I'm jealous. I've been contemplating going to the game since it's not that far from me but I have so much HW to do!
  2. I missed the beginning of the game, why is Hanley out?
  3. Do we know how much foul territory the new park will have? From the picture that elpenguino put up it looks like it'll be less than now. That would benefit hitters.
  4. Sandman (by Neil Gaiman) Chronicles (Dragonlance Trilogy by Margaret Weiss and Tracey Hickman) There are making a television show out of it by the same man who made the show Supernatural, Eric Kripke. http://heatvision.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/sandman-neil-gaiman-tv-show-eric-kripke.html I like Supernatural and my sister loves Sandman (she's the one who told me about the graphic novel being adapted into tv) so I might watch it.
  5. A cool article on bleacher report comparing the home and away splits of Mike Stanton and MVP candidate Carlos Gonzalez of the Colorado Rockies. Ever since I first seriously considered the concept, I have taken home/road splits seriously. If you are a Boston Red Sox fan, don't talk to me about Jim Rice or Wade Boggs. Are you are a Chicago Cubs fan? Well, you probably don't want to hear what I have to say about Ron Santo and Billy Williams. And if you want to hear good things about Sandy Koufax, I suggest you look somewhere else.But if you are a fan of Carlos Gonzalez, you may just want to stop reading right here. Good news, though, Mike Stanton fans, you're gonna love every minute of this. Indeed, it has often been suggested that I take home/road splits a little bit too seriously. Maybe. The most common refrain I hear from my critics is "Hey, you know that home games count too, right?" My feeling about home/road splits, though, is that home ballparks are an impediment to truth. When we're comparing players, we don't want to know which players put up better numbers; we want to know who the better player actually was. Thus, if I tell you that in 1995 Dante Bichette had 40 home runs and Mike Piazza had 32 home runs, you might conclude that Bichette was the better player. But what if I told you Bichette hit 31 of his 40 home runs at home in 1995, leaving only nine for the road, while Piazza actually hit 23 of his 32 home runs on the road, leaving only nine at home. It should be clear to you that Bichette wasn't a good home run hitter, but rather that Coors Field was a good home run ballpark, and that Piazza was a way better home run hitter playing in an oppressive ballpark. Now, consider this: if before the 1995 season the Dodgers and Rockies had traded Bichette and Piazza for one another, straight up, then logic dictates that Piazza would have hit approximately 54 home runs while Bichette would have hit 18 dongs. Or something like that. Which brings me to Carlos Gonzalez and Mike Stanton. Gonzalez, of course, plays for the Rockies and is on his way to a National League batting title as well as league-leading totals in hits, slugging percentage, and total bases. Stanton, on the other hand, plays for the Florida Marlins and is having an up-and-down season, with 20 home runs and 20 doubles in 82 games, but also a meager .251 batting average, 100 strikeouts and only 28 walks. To give you an idea of how those numbers look up against each other, have a look: http://baseballevolution.com/images/gonzalezstanton.bmp Now, obviously if this were the end of the story, I wouldn't have written this article. There is more. A lot more. Gonzalez is, of course, a Colorado Rocky, and humidor or not, we have to be skeptical of his numbers. Sure enough, his home/road splits do not paint a pretty picture: Home runs: 25 at home, seven on the road. RBI: 67 at home, 34 on the road. AVG: .385 at home, .288 on the road OPS: 1.198 at home, .760 on the road. Suffice to say, if Gonzalez were playing on a different team, in a different home ballpark, he'd be having a considerably different season. Meanwhile, quite the opposite effect has happened with Mike Stanton, as being victimized by Sun Life Stadium (or whatever they're calling it these days) has made him the Anti-CarGo: Home runs: six at home, 14 on the road. RBI: 16 at home, 33 on the road. AVG: .172 at home, .305 on the road. OPS: .586 at home, 1.024 on the road. Now, to be sure, Stanton is going to need to figure out how to hit in Florida; a .172 batting average with a .586 OPS would be unacceptable even if he were playing his home games at Solder Field. Nevertheless, look at what a beast he is away from Miami; in other words, look at what a beast he would be if he didn't have to play his home games at Sun Life Stadium. And, just for a purely rhetorical, academic exercise, let's see how Stanton and Gonzalez's road numbers alone match up with one another: http://baseballevolution.com/images/gonzalezstanton2.bmp This is real folks, this is not a drill. This is happening. So, tell me: if you were starting from scratch and you were going to build a team that was going to play in, say, Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas, which of these players would you take? I would take Mike Stanton in a heartbeat, and frankly I think he is the better player. But I may just be taking this all too seriously. Asher B. Chancey
  6. Dominguez seems to be killing out there.
  7. I wish JJ learns to be more like Halladay and pitch deeper into games. I just wish we had a couple more JJ's. I can't disagree there.
  8. Ugh, Luna. I hope he proves me wrong.
  9. I wish JJ learns to be more like Halladay and pitch deeper into games.
  10. Ummmmm the Suns are winning...
  11. Sosa can't buy a strike.
  12. Uggla, I love you.
  13. Hanley, quit the drama. Also, I would like it if they stop replaying every swing and miss. I don't care for celebrating the opposition regardless of how great he is.
  14. Hutton, David beat Goliath. What the f*** are you saying. Also, this game is living up to my expectations.
  15. I'm so down for watching the Fish face one of my favorite AL teams in the A's. I'm trying to force my family to take me to watch it in Oakland.
  16. Mikey, Helms and Davis... :barf Also, the Ump was pretty horrid too. Some silver lining: Logan extended his streak, we had some pretty nice defense and the bullpen didn't allow a run.
  17. Stanton's raw HR power still doesnt pull past the season Gaby has had... Im gonna go with Gaby. Of course if Stanton was here earlier... it would've been him. But Im penalizing him for GP. And of course if that penalizes Stanton... sorry LoMo... I go Gaby only because he's been here all year. I'm with both of you. Maybe if Stanton and Logan had been here all year, I would have gone with one of them. Gaby has been here all season and has put up consistent production despite being a rookie.
  18. Isn't Jeff Kent all-time 2B with @ 351? If so, Dan would be about 200 back... 8 more seasons averaging 25 Homers would put him at the top Doesn't UGGZ have some all-time something as a 2B? I hate it when I can't remember!!!! :blink: The fastest second baseman to 100 HR's? Is that what you meant? Or 1st second baseman with 4 seasons with 30 homeruns?
  19. Of course Danny Uggs chooses to hit his 30th when I'd already turned off my television, giving up on the game to do some studying. Thank God for MLB alerts. Congrats Uggla!!!
  20. And now all my Phillies fan friends are bombarding me with score updates, I just told them all to f*** off... I may be unfriending a lot of ppl tonight You can unfriend or hide them. I hide anyone who says anything positive about any team I dislike from any sport, and I dislike a lot of teams.
  21. Ceda, do something spectacular you asshat.
  22. When was the last time Luna did anything productive?
  23. Wow is this a joke? For real? Logan needs to get his head in the game.
  24. Whatever the f*** ever Miller. Not even his throw to pick off Utley was on target. Joke.
  25. I despise everything about Miller right now. Next season, Miller should pitch to Hanley for the HR derby.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.