Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

mystikol87

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mystikol87

  1. I just hope this doesn't mean Carroll doesn't make the team. Carroll is already not making the team for very good reasons. Welcome to days ago. This is still probably right, although both DeAza and Ryan were reassigned. Carroll might see some time just until Amezaga comes back, but I can't see him on the roster long-term. Jenkins is older than Gload, not sure how that helps him. Plus he was pretty bad for Philly last year, might be headed downhill permanently. Anyhow, hopefully we don't have a major injury to one of our starting outfielders. I think if we do have an injury to a starting OF, we might see Raynor, or maybe even Logan Morrison if it's later in the season and he's continued to hit. Not sure if that person would start or Gload would, though.
  2. So who's going to be the backup middle-infielder to start the year, assuming Amezaga can't make it back for opening day? Assuming Paulino, Gload, and Helms are locks. Who are the other 2 bench players?
  3. How is this guy making the team!? His spring training stats. Now that we've acquired Ross Gload, Carroll is almost assuredly headed back to AAA.
  4. Good for him. Someone help me understand the deal though. Bottom line - both guys were out of options. The Marlins probably see another option for the 6th starter spot who, at least at one time, looked to have a high ceiling. And the Orioles depth chart at SS has Cesar Izturis followed by Ryan Freel. Also, Ty Wigginton is there back-up at 1B, 2B, and 3B, so I guess they wanted to add some extra depth at SS and 2B both.
  5. This guy sucks. He doesn't do anything well. Boner-Face round 2!?! decent career average - .287 he fills a need! im sure he will suck though and so will the Marlins. :whistle Fine, but the .328 OBP isn't very impressive given that BA, and the OBP is much more important. Oddly, he has actually OPS'ed slightly higher against LHP for his career. Weird.
  6. Marlins Acquire Ross Gload By Tim Dierkes [April 1 at 11:47am CST] According to a press release, the Royals traded first baseman Ross Gload to the Marlins for a player to be named. Gload, 33 in a few days, hit .273/.317/.348 in 418 plate appearances for the Royals last year. He's owed $1.9MM this year and has a $2.6MM club option for '10. It's surprising to see the thrifty Marlins make this seemingly pointless acquisition. Previously their corner options consisted of Jorge Cantu, Emilio Bonifacio, and Wes Helms. Here's the updated right-up. This can't be right. Tell me they're not paying this guy $1.9MM. That would make me barf to have $3 million locked up (for this team) in Wes Helms and Ross Gload, you gotta be f'n kidding me. Clearly, it would make me barf, not bark. Oops
  7. Is Penn not good compensation for Andino? I think he is. Andino was virtually useless here. I wanted him to succeed, but I just didn't see it. From just looking at his stats, Penn is nothing special lately, but he was terrific a couple of years ago in AAA as a 21 year old. The last couple of year have been bumpy. Bottom line - Andino was headed for a DFA and pray he clears. Instead, we got a little something with a bit of potential. It looks like we at least got another guy to throw into the mix to be the 6th starter....
  8. Marlins Acquire Ross Gload By Tim Dierkes [April 1 at 11:47am CST] According to a press release, the Royals traded first baseman Ross Gload to the Marlins for a player to be named.
  9. And to think, this all started when I was merely asserting that he has a chance to develop into a 30-HR guy in the future. If PWG gets banned: :mad
  10. How funny would it be if Emilio Bonifacio bats .315 hits 10 homeruns and steals 30 bases. I don't think we can recognize humor in dreams. Seriously, though, it would be amazing.
  11. THIS IS BULLCRAP! That is all I'm going to say. I can understand if them not thinking that McPherson is going to do too much, but there is no way in heck that Emilio Bonifacio is a legitimate 3rd basemen. He may surprise us and hit .270, but that's not saying much when you factor in the lack of power. I will say this now and I will say it again- the fact that we have above average power at 2B and SS does not mean that we can excuse not having power at any position that should actually provide power. When we trade Uggla, our team is really gonna lack absolutely any legitimate pop. I know Hanley can hit some dingers, but he has always been a great hitter who ends up with great power numbers, but he hasn't yet proven that he can clear the bases consistently like a good middle of the order hitter should. He was and always will be a table setter in my mind. My prediction for this year goes down to 70-92. I just don't see where the offense is coming from. This isn't just a reaction to not having McPherson now as much as it is the front office's commitment to having a bad third basemen in the lineup just because they traded for him. Ummmmm...... Maybin - 30+ HR power Hanley - 40 HR power Cantu - 30+ HR power Cody - 30+ HR power Hermida - 20++ HR power Gaby/Baker - probably only about 10 HR each over a full year, sure. But, in the wings: Morrison - 30++ HR power
  12. Happy happy. but go panthers.
  13. lolololololololololololol PWG :thumbup Ditto. Brilliant. Marlins released third baseman Dallas McPherson. Our expectations for the Marlins get lower by the hour. Because of the foolish decision to re-sign Wes Helms to a guaranteed contract, the team is now in a position to have an entirely right-handed bench. It's not even a good right-handed bench. Ronny Paulino and Helms are only acceptable against left-handers, and Robert Andino and Brett Carroll have yet to show they can be useful major leaguers at all. Those four combined to hit .223 with nine homers and a 118/33 K/BB ratio in 449 major league at-bats last season. McPherson is hardly a sure thing, but he sure seemed like a great fit for a team going with a light-hitting righty at third. Hopefully, he's able to quickly find a fit elsewhere. I agree with this completely. But I will reserve judgement to see if they bring somebody else in, because there is just no way they don't make a move for somebody at this point. I do not agree with this completely, albeit on a minor point. Paulino is more than acceptable against left-handers, especially from the catcher position. But the Helms contract is silly, and looking at this move in a vacuum, it does lower my expectations for the team. But you just have to imagine/hope/wish/pray that there is another move coming, because they need to upgrade the bench from this. Even if Gaby tears up AAA, we still don't have a lefty. And Amezaga is a lefty but, come on.
  14. Strange Strange moves on the Marlins behalf...I am not entirely surprise about McP release, I felt he could have been a valuable backup to Bonifacio, moreso than Helms. I still feel he will be a major leaguer. This brings up the status of the bench. Does Andy Gonzalez make the team, he outplayed Andino in ST. Great News for Carroll and I am glad about that. I guess Jenkins might be making S Florida his new home This isn't right - Emilio is much better against RHP, just like Dallas. Helms projects to be better than McPherson vs LHP, and he's a much better defender, so he's actually the better backup to EB.
  15. Oh Lou, what would we do without you. Thanks for this - you always bring the not-too-homerific perspective that some on here severely lack; and fortunately, in this case, there is good stuff to look forward to. :thumbup
  16. Ron Villone? He already sucked for us last go around, and now he's like 40. Why didn't they just go after Ohman. ARGH. Yeah, he was terrible. I remember when he had Villone, my mom would say incredulously "Set-up man?!?!?!? Sure, he sets up the other team to beat us!" ......And he rarely let her down.
  17. I love Sheff, but Jenkins would probably be the better choice right now. Agreed, although Jenkins statistic nose-dive (at first glance) is quite ugly and something I wouldn't want to get caught in the middle of.
  18. By the way, put Gaby at 1B over John Lindsay, and throw Badenhop either into the rotation or the back-end of the bullpen.
  19. Jacob Marceaux was released. what? like, released from the Marlin's organization? That can't be right.
  20. Ah well it just wasnt to be based on his ST performances. I dont mind the fact that Bonaficio will be starting however I am concerned at where Maybin will bat as I was hoping he would be leading off but Fredi has said for weeks now that if EB makes the team, he loves him as a leadoff hitter. That makes an interesting. I personally want Maybin leading off, although I guess you could maybe stick him 2nd. I don't want EB leading off with Maybin 8th. Also, Badenhop was sent down. Looking better for Calero, I suppose, which I don't mind at all. I wonder if Burke will start or be a reliever in the minors.
  21. Woooow. This may be very smart, though. Get him some ABs, wait to bring him up and delay his arbitration clock. EB should be about league average, as Nny demonstrated so intelligently. And Cantu is much better defensively at first than he is at 3B.
  22. I'm a Brett Carroll fan and defensively he is outstanding. He might have one of the best arms in all of baseball. However, the role of the 4th outfielder can be filled by Bonifacio which gives Brett the opportunity to get much needed at bats at New Orleans. Now as a fan of Brett's I would never vote for the minors over the majors, BUT if we need him to replace an injured outfielder I would rather have him fresh with at bats, rather than sitting around and getting an occasional plate appearance. He has options which helps the team make some decisions on other guys. This is the tough love part. It might mean he goes to N.O. to save Andino until such time as we can get value for Andino or someone gets hurt and we need Brett to be an everyday player. It is never a good situation to be a bubble guy. Bonifacio is not suited to be a 4th OF. A 5th OF like Amezaga maybe, but he's not currently a defensive upgrade over any of our OFs, and he's a significant downgrade at the plate. He's an IF as of now. None of us are coaching these guys, yet we all talk with authority when a guy has a good spring / good AAA season / nice shoes. Carrol sucks at the plate and the team does not, in any way shape or form, need to upgrade its OF defense. There is absolutely no need to make a defensive OF replacement for any of our guys.... ever. The only reason a reserve OF would be in the lineup would be for rest or platoon advantage and Carrol provides little value for either. I like Carroll, but this is right. Sure, he might be somewhat of a defensive upgrade over Hermida, but Jeremy had virtually identical splits vs LHP and RHP last year (.730 career OPS vs LHP), and his offensive production will be markedly better than BC's versus LHP, let alone RHP. And he's a righty just like Maybin and Ross, so he doesn't really do much for us, unfortunately.
  23. Replacing Jacobs with Gaby, let alone Bonifacio, is going to be another huge improvement here. Nice to see that we turning into a solid baserunning team (with good team speed, as well) and a good defensive team. The lineup is solid and should improve, so as usual, it boils down to the starting pitching IMO.
  24. I personally think this is very cool and smart. It's kind of like the Hyundai deal, I think it is? (It might be a different car company) They give you some sort of forgiveness on your lease if you lose your job, and then you can return it for [allegedly] no cost.
  25. Nny you make me dizzy. Ditto, and totally in a good way. This is excellent work. Nice to have someone do it for us :cool This makes Emilio look a much more reasonable prospect. If he can become a average to slightly-above-average 3B or 2B, that would actually be a decent haul for Hammer, considering the injuries, and Olsen, considering the peripherals. Not to mention that Lou projects Smolinski on the bench and P.J. Dean out of the bullpen, which gives me faith that this has a pretty strong likelihood of happening. By the way, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when someone makes an amazing post like this, and someone just disagrees with something like, "I dun like bonerface :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol " or "yo dalaz mcfeerson is da man, boner sux put dalaz out there". Come on guys, at least have the courtesy to give an opinion to back it up. Even when you agree with epic post, try to at least make an effort to post some content. It's maybe the worst in the threads about our defense. It's like, Nny just posted all the proof that we're going to be a very good defense; that errors are a poor measure of defense; that Hermida's not a bad defender; or whatever, and people just respond with "Hermida sucks". We're better than that. /end rant

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.