Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BafflingBeerman

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by BafflingBeerman

  1. This game showed that there is genuine reason to be concerned about Volstad. A lot of young pitchers hit a sophomore slump because the league really starts figuring them out, especially guys like Volstad who pitch well but don't have dominant stuff. Jason Vargas is a prime example, although he never looked comfortable after his rookie campaign it became apparent very early on that the league had figured him out. I believe in Chris Volstad, he is a gamer who is incredibly poised and mature for his age, but if indeed the league has figured him out it may be a rough go of it for a while before Volstad can make the adjustments to his game in order to continue to pitch sucessfully at this level. Volstad has been steadily given up homeruns lately. Even in games where he wins, he has given up the long ball. If the league has figured him out or there has been a change in his mentality/delivery, I hope him and Wiley are working on it. I'd hate for him to be a one-year wonder. Despite my concern with Volstad I really don't think he is a one year wonder. My concern right now is for him this season and how long it will take him to right the ship. I am confident he will right it though. The question for me is where he will "settle" down to, pitching wise. If he makes his adjustments and rights the ship, he will be back to last year's level. If he doesn't, then he slides down and settles at a new level. We all know how easily habits are formed. So if there is work being done, then good. If not, then it is easier for any "slide" to continue than for it to improve on its own.
  2. This game showed that there is genuine reason to be concerned about Volstad. A lot of young pitchers hit a sophomore slump because the league really starts figuring them out, especially guys like Volstad who pitch well but don't have dominant stuff. Jason Vargas is a prime example, although he never looked comfortable after his rookie campaign it became apparent very early on that the league had figured him out. I believe in Chris Volstad, he is a gamer who is incredibly poised and mature for his age, but if indeed the league has figured him out it may be a rough go of it for a while before Volstad can make the adjustments to his game in order to continue to pitch sucessfully at this level. Volstad has been steadily given up homeruns lately. Even in games where he wins, he has given up the long ball. If the league has figured him out or there has been a change in his mentality/delivery, I hope him and Wiley are working on it. I'd hate for him to be a one-year wonder.
  3. I've quietly made peace with the fact that unless something changes, Uggla will probably be traded. His rising salary, plus aging, somewhat dictates a "sell high" philosophy. Plus, the whole cyclical outlook of the FO. I would love to sign Uggla "long term" (3 year), but it probably won't happen. He is my fav player. Of course, I used probably a lot there, so who knows?
  4. I think it is just growing pains. He is young and he is who the reporters immediately look to for a quote. What he said yesterday was stupid, if he really had an issue, take it up in private, but maybe he just kept on getting pressed on it and replied without a filter on (he did answer in Spanish, so maybe he thought he was just mumbling to himself). I don't like yesterday's incident or the incident with the hair policy, but I don't think Hanley wants out. As much as Hanley is a beast and considered a superstar, maybe he is considered a superstar because he was our only one over the past few years (now JJ is emerging). We all know the cases were a small market superstar, even one with as much talent as Hanley, goes to a larger market, and flounders, or at least, gets lost in the shuffle. Big fish, small pond versus small fish, big pond. He has a chance to lead here, to be the premiere player.
  5. As other have said, not really his fault, but sometimes a change is needed somewhere, if only to send a message (either to the team or the fans).
  6. From Juan c. Rodriguez: The biggest complaint I hear about Fredi Gonzalez is he doesn't show any emotion. He doesn't argue enough. Well, Gonzalez exhibited plenty of emotion in the clubhouse after the Marlins completed a three-game sweep of the Blue Jays. Gonzalez got as fired up as I've ever seen him. His ire was directed at the media. Here's the account... What should have been a festive post-game clubhouse after the Marlins swept a three-game series from the Blue Jays Sunday deteriorated over a disagreement regarding the unwritten rules of baseball. The usually jovial Fredi Gonzalez erupted at reporters when told superstar Hanley Ramirez was disappointed the Marlins didn't respond after he was hit by a pitch with a runner on third and two outs in sixth. His team leading 8-3, Ramirez took a Dirk Hayhurst fastball off the left elbow. Ramirez had no doubt it was on purpose. "Everybody knows," Ramirez said, to a group of reporters at his locker. "I think Fredi knows it. [Josh Johnson] knows it. [Hayhurst] was throwing strikes." Approached again and asked if the team has to defend him in that situation, Ramirez cemented his point in Spanish, saying: "You know, incredible. There's going to come a point where I'm not going to feel protected. I'm going to be scared to hit a home run because I know I'm going to get hit." Ramirez added the team was "obligated" to retaliate. Hayhurst also hit Jeremy Hermida two innings earlier. Informed about Ramirez's comments, Gonzalez initially said, "I don't want to get into that to be honest with you." A few minutes later, after Gonzalez met privately with Ramirez, he emerged on a rampage. He asked to listen to Ramirez's taped comments. Before they could be cued up, Gonzalez threw out two reporters from the clubhouse, accusing them of trying to stir stuff up. The remaining two South Florida media representatives in the clubhouse were asked to leave as well. Source Hmmm, don't know how I feel about this.
  7. Let's hope June carries over to July, which then carries over to August, then to September, then to October Lets get through June first...I'm still tormented by certain days in July from last year... What I like though is we are giving our starters some wins. Maybe I can lose this sig Baby steps, I agree. But it is nice to dream and to hope.
  8. Tough decision, as Paulino rocked today, but I went with JJ cause he scored the complete game. I remember a time when that would be rarer than my steak at Morton's.
  9. My condolences go out to him and his family.
  10. Went with Cody for the second game in a row. Nice also to see the BP hold on to thiso ne.
  11. Let's hope June carries over to July, which then carries over to August, then to September, then to October
  12. Louis, Louis, Louis ::shakes head::
  13. Cody! Question: Were the 3 steals while Nolasco were pitching on him or Baker? I can't watch the game.
  14. Yeah, the whole contract situation, plus the fact that Pierre might cool off at any point, would make any potential trade partner wary, I would believe.
  15. It is a learning experience for Volstad.
  16. Gotta give it to Hermida for the walkoff. Emilio played well, flashes of what may be (or what may not).
  17. Maybe it's just me, but I'm still not 100% comfy with Miller & West. A bit unfair considering how they've pitched lately, but it's not exactly a great enough sample yet. Same here. And to a lesser extent, Nolasco and Volstad. True that Nolasco and Volstad had outstanding seasons last year, but they are still young, and as we have seen with Nolasco, things aren't predictable year to year. I don't think Volstad is going to turn to trash anytime soon, but above all, I want to see consistancy in all our starters, so that we at least know what to reasonably expect, be it a 2.50 ERA or 5.00 ERA.
  18. Tough choice. Carroll was great, but West just a little bit better. Let's keep rolling.
  19. Nolasco looked okay. Hopefully, he improves. Because he isn't going to be always able to work himself out of trouble. Offense looked meh.
  20. Well, too bad our offense couldn't carry over a few of those runs we scored in the Brewers series. And it was said to see the based loaded twice and we could only score one run (by making an out). Volstad pitched well, but he gave up another HR.
  21. Double JJ, Jeff Jarrett. I mean, Josh Johnson!
  22. Ugh, seriously, if you are going to keep a pitcher on a pitch count after two rehab starts with an eye on not fatiguing a pitcher, why not just give him more rehab starts?
  23. It is time to watch. If we continue winning consistently, then the glimmer of hope is back and getting brighter. If we trudge along and play .500 ball or worse, then it is time to resign.
  24. Penn started out okay this season, then it sorta went downhill. Our pen, though, man, it has some high turnover.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.