Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Something_Fishy

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Something_Fishy

  1. C'mon Raysfan, it's not like we're completely unaware of what we're talking about here. We're fans of the Marlins. The team the national media is convinced plays in an empty stadium for every home game and sells their team every 3 years. While those are obvious hyperboles, we do know a thing or two about less than stellar attendance and low payroll. The only difference here is that you guys are being touted as one of the best teams in baseball, which I feel if that were the case with the Marlins we'd see more people showing up to Sun Life. And also, like someone else said, you guys playing the yankees a bunch really helps bolster your attendence figures. Yankee fans, as much as I dislike them, are everywhere and they bring it to the ballpark.
  2. The 3rd degree felony was "aggravated stalking", with a text saying "time to die bitch u and ur???" My question...what was the rest of it supposed to say? But the truth remains, it wasn't a very smart thing for the kid to do. I'm going to put on my orange and blue glasses and claim concussion-induced behavior? I also heard he text something almost as stupid after the police had left/just got there. And didn't he like plead not guilty? Don't you think it may be a good idea if the football staff administer a "stupid/dumb/common sense" test before they get on the team? It's unbelievable how many arrests they have had. He was reported as saying, not texting, something along the lines of "wait and see what happens when they (the police) leave.", but he denies saying that. The more I see this story, the more I'm taken aback by how stupid it all was.
  3. The 3rd degree felony was "aggravated stalking", with a text saying "time to die bitch u and ur???" My question...what was the rest of it supposed to say? But the truth remains, it wasn't a very smart thing for the kid to do. I'm going to put on my orange and blue glasses and claim concussion-induced behavior?
  4. Thanks for sharing all your thoughts about why Stanton takes fastballs right down the middle for strike one in nearly every at bat. I understand your criticism, but the kid is obviously doing something right. I won't pretend like I have an answer, but to come across as angry as you did in the opening post on a 20-year old rookie who has been doing quite well for himself in the bigs just seems unwarranted at this point.
  5. For the record, anything proposed/supported by Colin Cowherd is immediately discredited. The man is a joke and a complete and utter buffoon. I hate him on Sportsnation, I hate him when his show pops up on 790...the man is insufferable. Figures he would tote some NBA-style playoff, given he's such a douche-lined dumbass. /rant.
  6. Steve Addazio completely sucks as UF's offensive coordinator. He's WAAAAAAAY too conservative. He did the same sh*t last year where he ran the ball 99.99% of the time, and rarely called for a pass in front of the line of scrimmage. The Gators have the talent where they could just demolish Miami of Ohio and many other teams offensively, but the play calling for the offense the last year (and this game) has been absolutely putrid. This offense is not going to play up to their ability as long as Addazio is calling the plays. Obviously our defense is going to miss Charlie Strong's presence as D-Coordinator this year, since he was absolutely amazing at his job, but I don't think our defense will be an issue, our offense will be. I mean our offense was filled with experienced seniors/juniors who were amazing in 2008 under Dan Mullen, and suddenly Steve Addazio comes in for the 2009 season and those same players looked like they have absolutely no idea what to do. The day Addazio is no longer running the offensive play calling is the day Gators fans will collectively rejoice. This. No joke, that game last Saturday was straight-up nonsense. I'm willing to bet that he was trying not to unveil everything all at once against somebody like Miami of Ohio, but then again I said the same thing last year and the offense never really opened up. As long as Pouncey can get those snaps to Brantley, though, I think the offense will look a bit better and do a better job at being a spread offense.
  7. Utah with the upset! And boy, Hawaii got robbed just now.
  8. In only two nights, I feel badly for two of our players who stepped up when we needed them and gave us whatever they got to let us win games. Hayes and Murphy both deserve a lot of credit and thanks. It's a shame they both got hurt so badly. I'll never forget Hayes not letting go of the ball after Morgan ran him over. And Murphy's numerous walk-offs that saved us. I was just saying earlier in the game thread that it was good to see Murphy getting hits and scoring runs in the first time in a long time that Edwin allowed him to start a game. Sucks badly that that would be his last game he'd play this year. I would really like to see Murphy come back next year and I think he deserves the consideration I don't know of his time before the Marlins, but Murphy really looked like a really solid player. I mean, his role on this team would be a spot starter or bench bat, but he really looked good playing for us. The guy is huge in my book, and not just because he pulled some miracles earlier this season.
  9. I am also in agreement that was a clean play Too bad Hayes paid the price more because Hanleys throw was high and away than because of Morgan being overaggressive. If Morgan would have chose to slide he would have been safe because Hayes had no chance in applying the tag to the runner. I am sure Morgan is regretting that now. Was it irresponsible of Morgan , I doubt it it was just how he approached the play as he ran to home. It would be wrong to bean him for that reason I sincerely think that's a good reason why many of us are upset. I know I personally wouldn''t be as bothered if it were a pudge-NLDS style collision. It didn't seem like Morgan was thinking for himself to be safe, but looking for a collision. Also, given that he went out of his way to hit Bryan Anderson a couple of days ago...it just doesn't speak well of him.
  10. After all of this, Hayes STILL doesn't break the SC top ten. Poor chap, at least he can take to bed that he saved that game tonight. Hayes is a grown man, and Morgan is a trick ass pony bi**h.
  11. Tank will possibly be Super 2 eligible if he plays all of September (So he'll likely miss the first week or two, but then be added for more lefty depth). I'd like to correct myself since I hate posting bad information: Turns out that Tankersley filed a grievance after 2009 because the Marlins optioned him when he was injured (Which is illegal to do). You might remember a similar situation with Anibal Sanchez back in '07, which did get media attention. Anibal won, which meant he was award the ML service time he missed from being optioned to the minors all of '07 (That meant be compensated the increase of minor league salary compared to major league salary, as well as bringing him closer to arbitration/free agency). Tank also won his, which meant an option was not used in 2009. However, that also means Tank's service time was more than we were led to believe. If Tankersley was awarded the full year of service time, he'd have been arbitration eligible and non-tendered by the Marlins. So as part of the agreement, Tankersley only obtained as much service time he could obtain while still not being arbitration eligible. Meaning that, regardless of when they call him up in September, he will be arbitration eligible this off season. Why these kind of things don't actually get media attention is rather meh to me. Especially since the media down there seems to love any story that shines the Marlins in a negative light. They might have not seen/heard the issue. Also, Tank didn't throw a no-hitter, so it may have been more of a "whatever" sort of issue with our best friends, the media.
  12. He's not a leadoff hitter. I fear we will do to Maybin what the Cubs did to Corey Patterson... try to make him something he is not. Do you suppose he's a LaRussa-type 9th hitter, then? No I think he'd be a fine #7 hitter in the lineup. Just because he is fast doesn't mean we have to make him into some sort of leadoff hitter or larussa 2nd leadoff hitter. Why would seemingly disregard his ability to tear around the bases, then? I realize he doesn't have to be a lead-off type hitter, but I doubt we'll have somebody fleet of foot at the 6th position. Also, suppose he does get on base, chances are that the inning will stall once 8th hitter and pitcher come up, further wasting one of the greater aspects of Maybin's game. This is all conjecture on my end, of course.
  13. Seriously, someone explain to me why they are putting these events so far north now?? I was hoping this would be in Broward or North Miami, as I was heading down there this weekend. However, that's way too far north for me. "Come meet your favorite Marlins for autographs at the Dairy Queen in Birmingham, Alabama!" I'm thinking more like Augusta, Maine :lol They've already been to the North Pole. Mike Stanton finished all of next year's gifts by December 27th. Remember, he has a history of struggling when he first gets called up. This Christmas, he'll be done with presents by the 26th.
  14. He's not a leadoff hitter. I fear we will do to Maybin what the Cubs did to Corey Patterson... try to make him something he is not. Do you suppose he's a LaRussa-type 9th hitter, then?
  15. a couple of things which were discussed during the delay... Joe Frisaro has heard that Gaby Sanchez may lose some support, from Frisaro's fellow writers, in the rookie of the year voting. Since Hanley won in '06 and Coughlin won last year, some of those "knuckleheads" think that another team should get that honor(ROY)..so much for most deserving... Since Uggla's been a Marlin, he's played in 96% of the games, starting 94% of them...pretty good... lol, didn't the Dodgers have like 5 straight ROYs in the '90s? yep, (92-96)... 4 straight (79-82)..Oakland won 3 straight (86-88)... http://en.wikipedia...._the_Year_Award If Gaby deserves it...give it to him.... That sounds a bit counter-intuitive. "Hey man, you're the best rookie this year, but your teammates won the ROY recently so we're going to give it to the next best rookie. Congratulations Mr. Heyward on your ROY award!"
  16. I think he would be the best pitcher on the padres, rays, red sox, and Rockies. He would arguably be the best pitcher on the braves or Yankees. And he would probably be the 2nd best pitcher on the cards. Either way, what's your point? Even if he would be worse than the number 1 on each of those teams, he's still better than about 140 other starters in baseball, and is one of the top 15. How is that an issue? His last 3 season numbers are better than most of the players you listed anyways. My point, and the point of others, is that Johnson is a very good but not an elite pitcher. When Johnson starts, everyone is hoping he pitches into the seventh inning. That is not an elite pitcher. I am glad he is on the Marlins. But Johnson is not a big game, postseason dominating type of pitcher. Maybe he will become one. When Johnson starts, everyone expects big league hitters to look like children. I'm afraid I don't see your point, especially given JJ's crazy low ERA.
  17. Why as soon as one don't buy what Loria is selling they are trolls, if you are saying i'm a troll, from 2005 i had a four season tickets package, so i think i'm entitle to say what i want. Did you mean: "Why is it that as soon as one does not buy what Loria is selling they are considered to be trolls? If you are saying I'm a troll, know that since 2005 I have had 4 season ticket packages. Being as such, I am entitled to say what I want" My response: You certainly are entitled to say whatever you want, it just is not good debate to accuse those who disagree with you to be "on Loria payroll". To me, it appears most of your argument has consisted of blind denial of the facts presented to us through the financial reports.
  18. I think what's funny is seeing all these "reporters" talk about this issue as if they actually followed the team. If the herald or sentinel picked up somebody who actvely followed the Marlins I doubt the statement about Willis and Cantu ever get published.
  19. I'll laugh if the Marlins lose tonight and everyone starts saying the season is over again. Look who hit the nail on the head! :confused
  20. They just straight-up disrespected JJ on Sportscenter tonight. When mentioning "notable pitchers after TJ surgery", they left him out and included the likes of AJ Burnett. :thumbdown
  21. I've always thought catchers should be in the record books with the pitchers who throw a no-hitter. Good on Roy. I agree. Catchers should get credit for no-hitters and perfect games as they are apart of it. In fact, the entire team is apart of it in reality. One mistake or bad play and it could end the no-hitter or perfect game. So it was definitely nice of Halladay to do that. Not to be the negative one, but it was a Cameron Maybin error that lead to the game ending in 9 innings... Nice move by Halladay, I really though the gesture was genuine.
  22. Maybe Baker will check out the site at some point.....? Uh oh, lol
  23. :woohoo TWO GAMES OVER 500 :woohoo you should check your enthusiasm, because once we hit 10 games over .500 you'll be outta gas. =]
  24. Jesus H., I think it's evident why the franchise wanted to keep the financials secret. People are stupid, and they are going blindly believe a political figurehead on this...I think any chance of a major attendence boon is all but a pipe dream at this point. The real question is now whether this news is worse than the firesale news in the scope of public perception. For what it's worth, I don't know of a company that "profits" when the overall investment is in the red, I just don't understand it.
  25. Honestly, I think them claiming that they were only trying to erase debt would do nothing for them in the media. People are going to believe what they want to believe, no matter what. It's wholly evident here on this thread alone, there a quite a few people here who believe that Loria/Sampson/Whoever the hell is in charge was simply pocketing money, choosing to either ignore or dismiss the $61 Million debt. The owners could have said they were funding a orphaned children's hospital with the profit money and the media would still be demolishing the marlins with the same fervor as they are right now. Sh*t like this that makes it difficult to get more fans, and now it's going to turn away people from this franchise who choose to believe what the media says as the gospel. The media enjoys controversy, we all know this, and it's slowly choking off our less educated fans. I assume most of you use facebook, and you've see some of the completely brainless things people can say on there. They're going to eat this up, call foul, and possibly choose to move away from the team, which then correlates with lower stadium attendance, which further correlates with more poor national perception, continuing in an endless cycle of negativity and PR damage. :mad

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.