August 19, 200521 yr After going 0/4 tonight, JP is hitting .192 this month(.262 on the year) He is really having a crap year(although the SB are nice) Is JP starting CF for us next year?
August 19, 200521 yr After going 0/4 tonight, JP is hitting .192 this month(.262 on the year) He is really having a crap year(although the SB are nice) Is JP starting CF for us next year? 907854[/snapback] yes, because when he does well, we do well.
August 19, 200521 yr I think he does. I think he finds what problems he had during his offseason and he corrects them. He can be back to the .320 hitter and great leadoff man he was. It's been a tough season for JP, but you know he can definetly turn it around with all his hard work.
August 19, 200521 yr move him down and Castillo up maybe although Castillo has lost a step, but if he isnt our CF who is? Mark Kotsay?
August 19, 200521 yr Author move him down and Castillo up maybe although Castillo has lost a step, but if he isnt our CF who is? Mark Kotsay? 907871[/snapback] who knows... in house you have Aguila and possibly Eric Reed(but he aint ready)
August 19, 200521 yr move him down and Castillo up maybe although Castillo has lost a step, but if he isnt our CF who is? Mark Kotsay? 907871[/snapback] Dave "not Brian" Roberts
August 19, 200521 yr move him down and Castillo up maybe although Castillo has lost a step, but if he isnt our CF who is? Mark Kotsay? 907871[/snapback] who knows... in house you have Aguila and possibly Eric Reed(but he aint ready) 907872[/snapback] yeah I feel bad for Aguila he deserves a full-time spot somewhere but I wouldnt plug him in over JP at this point
August 19, 200521 yr JP is still young, and this is just an off year. I think his reputation and history warrants another go of it next year, right?
August 19, 200521 yr Luiy may not run as fast anymore, but he's a .300 average/.400 OBP guy with as good a glove at 2B as anybody in the game, and he still has plus speed, so he is a great option to lead off if Pierre ever left. However, Pierre is still pretty young, covers a ton of ground in that huge OF, and steals bases. IMO he is just having a crap year and will be back to himself next year, so I say keep him in CF for 2006.
August 19, 200521 yr I really don't understand the support for Pierre, yet hatred for Lowell. . . . The media fell in love with Pierre in 2003, but the truth is he was never a great leadoff man. Even at his best his OBP numbers are not great. IMO he is overvalued right now and we would be better off trading him and going with a Kotsay type. THe big problem with depending on Luis at leadoff all year is his durability. When he plays he's the best leadoff man in baseball, but the poor guy looks horrible this year every time I see him. I love that he's not a puss like most baseball players and plays through the pain. A Kotsay type would fit nicely in at #2 and could leadoff if we needed it.
August 19, 200521 yr To answer the question.... It depends on what you can find for a replacement. If you can find a decent replacement, you move him, especially if you can get a nice package for him. Else he opens the season in centerfield for us.
August 19, 200521 yr I really don't understand the support for Pierre, yet hatred for Lowell. . . . The media fell in love with Pierre in 2003, but the truth is he was never a great leadoff man. Even at his best his OBP numbers are not great. IMO he is overvalued right now and we would be better off trading him and going with a Kotsay type. THe big problem with depending on Luis at leadoff all year is his durability. When he plays he's the best leadoff man in baseball, but the poor guy looks horrible this year every time I see him. I love that he's not a puss like most baseball players and plays through the pain. A Kotsay type would fit nicely in at #2 and could leadoff if we needed it. 907908[/snapback] I agree, couldn't lowell be back to what he has done the past years? He is having an off year too like pierre and can turn it around anytime. I wouldn't want to see lowell come back to his #s for another team and we'll be paying most of his salary. Don't forget what he has done for us in the past.
August 19, 200521 yr I've said it for awhile and I'll keep saying it, move him if you can. Get something good in return. We have a young kid with POWER, speed, and an arm named Aguila who could fill the spot nicely. Now, I like Pierre as much as the next guy, but if he is not producing and you have someone like Aguila waiting who is making the league minimum and Pierre is due to make at least $6 million, you have to make a deal if you get something good.
August 19, 200521 yr I really don't understand the support for Pierre, yet hatred for Lowell. . . . The media fell in love with Pierre in 2003, but the truth is he was never a great leadoff man.? Even at his best his OBP numbers are not great.? IMO he is overvalued right now and we would be better off trading him and going with a Kotsay type.? THe big problem with depending on Luis at leadoff all year is his durability.? When he plays he's the best leadoff man in baseball, but the poor guy looks horrible this year every time I see him.? I love that he's not a puss like most baseball players and plays through the pain.? A Kotsay type would fit nicely in at #2 and could leadoff if we needed it. 907908[/snapback] I agree, couldn't lowell be back to what he has done the past years? He is having an off year too like pierre and can turn it around anytime. I wouldn't want to see lowell come back to his #s for another team and we'll be paying most of his salary. Don't forget what he has done for us in the past. 907915[/snapback] Lowell's problems stem back to the second half of last year. Boog said scouts have told him that he has lost about 4-5 mph on his bat speed. Its not the same mikey who would hit line drive homeruns or doubles off of the teal monster but a mike lowell who is often getting jammed and popping up to outfielders. Hopefully his bat speed returns after a rest this off season, who knows... but as of now, I would give JP the benefit of the doubt over Lowell.
August 19, 200521 yr Pierre has another year on his deal, but if the right offer comes available I think the Marlins would consider it. Yes, Juan Pierre is a workaholic but players today do not have the same edge they once did to help them keep up with their workouts :whistle It may be time for Juan to re-think his off-season and in-season routines and give his body more time to rest.
August 19, 200521 yr Hopefully he's traded - with Luiy here, he's not the best leadoff hitter on the team, and Pierre isn't in the lineup for his defense. If a good package comes around, the Marlins should pull the trigger on a deal, especially because he's a free agent after next season and unlikely (hopefully) to receive a long term contract. I'd take Aguila in CF over Pierre next season, especially if a platoon partner can be found for him. Hell, I never though I'd be saying this, but I'd even like to see the Marlins bring back Enc next year, so long as he plays in CF, though I highly doubt that happens.
August 19, 200521 yr Geez, you guys really are in dreamworld. Looie is a cripple for god's sake. It isn't that he's a step slower, or even two, if you saw him out in the field after an inning is over and going back to the dugout you'd know he can barely walk. My guess is Castillo will have surgery in the off-season, he's been playing with alot of pain for some time now and I suspect the hamstring story is just a cover (or his recurring leg injuries are caused by), something structural. If some folks don't like Pierre and want to change CFers in the off-season, everyone who has that opnion is entitled to it, but to think Looie can just jump into the lead-off spot is, based on the Castillo of 2005, pure fantasy.
August 19, 200521 yr Because someone has one bad year does not mean he should be traded. Sure if some good offer coms up, youshould consider it, but JP is young enough that theres no reason why he shouldnt recover. Lowell is being critcized not only b/c of a year and a half of poor production but also b/c of his current contract. We pay lowell a lot more than we pay pierre
August 19, 200521 yr Here is the things to consider After next year Pierre is a free Agent. He is coveted by alot of teams including the Cubs, Yankees, O's, Red Sox, etc. To mention a few of them at the least. Now, yes he is needed here and useful here for his speed on the bases and in the field. But, after next year he will be signed to a 6,7,8 million dollar contract. I wouldnt be surprised if in the offseason we send him off in a trade tied to lowell for young talent. Particularly perhaps to the yankees as they like both of those players still. This would loosen up the payroll concerns of the team to be able to resign Alex and pick up in trade or via Free Agency a quality outfielder. Cabrera can then be moved into 3B and Hermida and Aguila can be in the outfield. I wouldnt be surprised if the Marlins try to resign Juan Enc also. He could play CF for us as well. That being said, do I want Pierre or Lowell gone? Not really, but is it a reality to face? Yes. Pierre wont be a fish through the end of next year. They will get what they can for him. Then try to get someone else up in the top of the line up, Perhaps Hermida in the 2 hole.
August 19, 200521 yr I really don't understand the support for Pierre, yet hatred for Lowell. . . . The media fell in love with Pierre in 2003, but the truth is he was never a great leadoff man. Even at his best his OBP numbers are not great. IMO he is overvalued right now and we would be better off trading him and going with a Kotsay type. THe big problem with depending on Luis at leadoff all year is his durability. When he plays he's the best leadoff man in baseball, but the poor guy looks horrible this year every time I see him. I love that he's not a puss like most baseball players and plays through the pain. A Kotsay type would fit nicely in at #2 and could leadoff if we needed it. 907908[/snapback] No- our lineup needs POWER. Lowell was a power hitting 3rd baseman and he has only 6 homers. At least Pierre can still steal bases. His average and OBP is down but we don't expect as much from Pierre. Lowell is a 3 time all star who looks like a bench player now- that is why.
August 19, 200521 yr Author If some folks don't like Pierre and want to change CFers in the off-season, everyone who has that opnion is entitled to it, but to think Looie can just jump into the lead-off spot is, based on the Castillo of 2005, pure fantasy. 907975[/snapback] Explain why that would be pure fantasy
August 19, 200521 yr If some folks don't like Pierre and want to change CFers in the off-season, everyone who has that opnion is entitled to it, but to think Looie can just jump into the lead-off spot is, based on the Castillo of 2005, pure fantasy. 907975[/snapback] Explain why that would be pure fantasy 908017[/snapback] Ramp, perhaps you didn't read my entire post. I was suggesting the Looie is too banged up to be thrust into the lead-off spot right now, and further that he may require surgery in the off-season to repair whatever is ailing him. He's been hurt all season and this is symptomatic of more than just a recurring hamstring (or muscular) problem. I love Looie, but he is (to me) the prototypical 2 guy in the lineup. He's smart, he puts the ball in play, he works counts, he moves runners along. You want to find another guy to leadoff, maybe just as a thought, Hermida, and jettison JP (which I'm not in favor of but if it happens life goes on) you won't get an argument from me.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.