Lo Duca wont be traded

With Castillo now gone, JP and Lo Duca remain as players who are likely to be traded. Juan Pierre at this point is probably considered to be gone, especially considering that almost everyone thought he was going to be traded even when a firesale was not expected. But back to the topic..

I believe Paul LoDuca won't be traded. Sure, he is due about 6 Million per season, but the Marlins need to look at LoDuca as an investment. How does an older, veteran catcher be looked at as an investment?? When he has a TON of young pitchers on the same team who need some guidance. With all the trades being made this offseason, it is very obvious the Marlins are again trying to build up a stockpile of young pitching. Only Jacobs and Ramirez can be looked at as decent hitting opions recieved from trades this year. With young pitchers you need a catcher who can calm pitchers down is tough times, and lead young pitchers to victory. Yes 6 Million seems like alot to the Marlins these days, but the Fish need to look at that money as an investment into the young pitchers to help make these pitchers get off to a better start in their career and down the road. If LoDuca does stay he probably won't be the happiest guy in the world, and has gotten a lot of attention from other teams, but it is important for a team to have at least 1 good veteran on the team for players to look up to. The last thing you want is a young pitcher and an inexperienced catcher out there together, and there aren't any veteran catchers on the market who blow me away and make me believe they would help our young rotation as much as LoDuca.

Call me crazy, but LoDuca i think will stay. If I'm the Marlins, I keep Loduca with the thought that he will make our young pitchers better in games and better in tough situations. Florida - lets spend SOME money next year and keep 1 veteran who can improve every young player on the team. If their was 1 veteran on the Marlins from last year I would want my young players to look up to, it would proabably be LoDuca.

With Castillo now gone, JP and Lo Duca remain as players who are likely to be traded. Juan Pierre at this point is probably considered to be gone, especially considering that almost everyone thought he was going to be traded even when a firesale was not expected. But back to the topic..

I believe Paul LoDuca won't be traded. Sure, he is due about 6 Million per season, but the Marlins need to look at LoDuca as an investment. How does an older, veteran catcher be looked at as an investment?? When he has a TON of young pitchers on the same team who need some guidance. With all the trades being made this offseason, it is very obvious the Marlins are again trying to build up a stockpile of young pitching. Only Jacobs and Ramirez can be looked at as decent hitting opions recieved from trades this year. With young pitchers you need a catcher who can calm pitchers down is tough times, and lead young pitchers to victory. Yes 6 Million seems like alot to the Marlins these days, but the Fish need to look at that money as an investment into the young pitchers to help make these pitchers get off to a better start in their career and down the road. If LoDuca does stay he probably won't be the happiest guy in the world, and has gotten a lot of attention from other teams, but it is important for a team to have at least 1 good veteran on the team for players to look up to. The last thing you want is a young pitcher and an inexperienced catcher out there together, and there aren't any veteran catchers on the market who blow me away and make me believe they would help our young rotation as much as LoDuca.

Call me crazy, but LoDuca i think will stay. If I'm the Marlins, I keep Loduca with the thought that he will make our young pitchers better in games and better in tough situations. Florida - lets spend SOME money next year and keep 1 veteran who can improve every young player on the team. If their was 1 veteran on the Marlins from last year I would want my young players to look up to, it would proabably be LoDuca.

Dude...you're crazy...

Guest Moneyball

I think the FO puts pinching pennies over player development at this point.

LD and JP are gone.

What is player development?

So a veteran presence isn't crucial to a player's growth as a major leaguer? Because that's where it seems you are going.

LD and JP are gone.

so the marlins are going to leave all the kids hanging out there to dry?

If it seems saving a few million ofcourse they will.

GUYS.....EVERYONE IS LEAVING!!!!!

Why keep around ONE expensive player if you're already dumping everyone other expensive player? it makes NO sense. So we keep Lo Duca, and then what - instead of winning 70 games, we win 73? how does that make any sense whatsoever?

Lo Duca is gone. Pierre is gone. What more does this team have to do to get their point across - they are dumping anyone that earns any kind of salary, period. The End. Everyone needs to start moving on from these guys, and start getting pumped for the new blood.

LD and JP are gone.

What is player development?

So a veteran presence isn't crucial to a player's growth as a major leaguer? Because that's where it seems you are going.

That's not what I meant. I'm just a bit upset at the people Loria and Samson hired to handle their affairs.

You gotta think Girardi will be pulling to have LoDuca stay. How much that helps? Who knows.

Not necessarily. Girardi may want a challenge. He may want to tutor a young catcher.

You gotta think Girardi will be pulling to have LoDuca stay. How much that helps? Who knows.

Not necessarily. Girardi may want a challenge. He may want to tutor a young catcher.

I think he has a big enough challenge as is. :lol

I just think he would like to have a veteran back there... who knows. You may have a point tho.

Hell, we should just put Girardi back there. Player/Manager anyone? :mischief

Brandman I think you may have something there regardless of how dismissive some jerks on this board can be. First of all if you're sitting in Jeffery Loria's chair you're not just unloading. You may need to unload but you eventually want to win somewhere, even if it's not Miami. Everyone knows that the one commodity that you can't have enough of is pitching. If you bring up a bunch of minor leaguers and don't coach them properly you end up blowing their confidence and their careers. Then you can't use them when you are ready to try another run, or trade them for other pieces because they'll be worthless. LoDuca is like another coach on the field for those guys. He could still be traded but your theory isn't as wacky as some make it out to be.

The Marlins might as well trade Miggy and Willis. What would Miggy fetch us? And what would Willis get us? This team could be set for years. I won't for a moment believe that this isn't out of the realm of possibility.

They are earning nothing, what would be the point.

The Marlins might as well trade Miggy and Willis. What would Miggy fetch us? And what would Willis get us? This team could be set for years. I won't for a moment believe that this isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I don't think they'll get traded... I was just saying it to be dumb. Willis won't earn "nothing" this coming year. He'll probably command about $4.5 million. And, if he goes out and posts another 20 win and sub 3 ERA season, he'll be commanding 8-10 million in arby. He'll also get traded.

I don't think they'll get traded... I was just saying it to be dumb. Willis won't earn "nothing" this coming year. He'll probably command about $4.5 million. And, if he goes out and posts another 20 win and sub 3 ERA season, he'll be commanding 8-10 million in arby. He'll also get traded.

IMO, Willis is gone by 2008. A long term contract won't be offered, and he will command some serious dollars in arbi.

IMO, Willis is gone by 2008. A long term contract won't be offered, and he will command some serious dollars in arbi.

Shoot, Miggy could be gone too. He's going into arbitration after next season. Another .300 30 100 season and he'll be set to make $7-8 million. Miggy gone. Willis gone. They gone.

Why keep around ONE expensive player if you're already dumping everyone other expensive player? it makes NO sense. So we keep Lo Duca, and then what - instead of winning 70 games, we win 73? how does that make any sense whatsoever?

Lo Duca is gone. Pierre is gone. What more does this team have to do to get their point across - they are dumping anyone that earns any kind of salary, period. The End. Everyone needs to start moving on from these guys, and start getting pumped for the new blood.

Why trade for young prospect pitchers if you can't develop them? Look, I am not saying that a guy like Petit, or Sanchez, or any other young pitcher for the Marlins ABSOLUTELY NEED LoDuca, but I can guarantee you that if LoDuca is behind the plate instead of a young catcher, our young pitchers will develop faster and be more efficient. I understand the Marlins are cutting costs, but you have to put money into your investments. Sure 6 mil per year is alot, but dont you think the Marlins, even with their financial woes, would be willing to give up 6 mil/ year if it mean that say 3 of the young pitchers we received or pitchers already in our farm system turn out to be like a Beckett, Burnett, Willis, or Penny? Its obvious this team is looking into the future, and I believe the best way for the Marlins to have a great future is to develop their young pitchers as best as possible, and that means keeping LoDuca.

Why trade for young prospect pitchers if you can't develop them? Look, I am not saying that a guy like Petit, or Sanchez, or any other young pitcher for the Marlins ABSOLUTELY NEED LoDuca, but I can guarantee you that if LoDuca is behind the plate instead of a young catcher, our young pitchers will develop faster and be more efficient. I understand the Marlins are cutting costs, but you have to put money into your investments. Sure 6 mil per year is alot, but dont you think the Marlins, even with their financial woes, would be willing to give up 6 mil/ year if it mean that say 3 of the young pitchers we received or pitchers already in our farm system turn out to be like a Beckett, Burnett, Willis, or Penny? Its obvious this team is looking into the future, and I believe the best way for the Marlins to have a great future is to develop their young pitchers as best as possible, and that means keeping LoDuca.

I agree but if they want to save more money they could trade LoDuca and sign a catcher like Brad Ausmus, Todd Greene, Benito Santiago, Todd Pratt or Paul Bako.