Introducing your starting 2B in 2006

Ramp

So he probably won't be around for our pick.

The way the Rule V works is, whoever is drafted has to stay on that team's 25 man roster all year.

I see. So not many Rule V picks. We gave Hagerty back last year because he couldn't make the team, right?

Yeah, that's why Haggerty was let go. And it's 60 days on the 25 man, not the entire season.

Teams must file their 40-man rosters by Nov. 20, and only those not at the full allotment of 40 may select players.

-BA

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

Roster status: 40

What they'll do: Despite being at 40, even with the trades they've made, there were signs the Pirates were planning to make room for a Rule 5 plunge. Who they'd move off to make room remains to be seen.

That seems contradictive to me.

So he probably won't be around for our pick.

The way the Rule V works is, whoever is drafted has to stay on that team's 25 man roster all year.

I see. So not many Rule V picks. We gave Hagerty back last year because he couldn't make the team, right?

Yeah, that's why Haggerty was let go. And it's 60 days on the 25 man, not the entire season.

To prevent teams from drafting players willy-nilly, each Rule 5 pick must be kept in the major leagues the entire following season or be offered back to his former team for half of the $50,000 selection price.

BA's explanation is 10 years old, though. Do you have a revised copy?

Ramp, did you pick him out just based on your own research or did you hear about him from someone that might know something about what might happen potentially? :mischief2 :lol

Nah... cant say there is anything behind this thread \

or is there? :mischief

The kid has potential, and I don't mean to dampen everyone's high over maybe getting him, but isn't there a reason that he isn't being protected by his team?? Whats the catch??

Because they are full at 40.

Then again, another contradictive statement: What they'll do: The Reds were full at 40 but recently released Randy Keisler to open a spot, so they can be active in the Major League phase.

From the Red's beat writer's "Mailbag" on November 21st...

Do you see Kevin Howard stepping into the Reds' starting lineup at second base next year, or is he not yet ready for the big leagues? -- Dustin H., West Carrollton, Ohio

At the moment, second base is the only open position the Reds have, but I don't see Howard taking it over in '06. He's still probably a year away from being Major League ready.

Unless the Reds find a way to re-sign Rich Aurilia or another proven veteran infielder in the free agent market, I think the position is Ryan Freel's to lose. But William Bergolla (who, as of this writing, is performing well in Winter Ball) and Ray Olmedo should also compete for playing time there.

As long as we walk out of this thing with Howard or Maier, I would be very pleased.

Maier brings a little less to the table immediately, but probably more long term. We can afford to use the roster spot on him.

I'd prefer Howard, but if he's gone, get Maier.

2004 Baseball America prospect report on Maier:

8. MITCH MAIER, 3b/of Age: 22 B-T: L-R Ht: 6-3 Wt: 200

Drafted: Toledo, 2003 (1st round) Signed by: Jason Bryans

Background: Maier turned down an offer to walk on the Michigan football team as a defensive back, opting instead to play baseball at Toledo, where he led the Mid-American Conference in batting as a freshman and junior. The Rockets? all-time leading hitter at .414, he agreed to a $900,000 predraft deal in 2003.

Strengths: Maier?s hand-eye coordination allows for patience and consistent contact, though his plate discipline slipped in 2004. The Royals have encouraged him to move his hands closer to his body, which should shorten his swing and help him improve against breaking balls. Maier runs well underway and displays good instincts along the basepaths.

Weaknesses: A college catcher, Maier moved to third base to address an organizational weakness. The results have been mixed, as he lacks first-step quickness and doesn?t read balls well off the bat. His likely destination is an outfield corner. He needs to add a touch of leverage to his swing to develop more power.

The Future: Maier could move quickly once he finds a position. If he has a good spring, he could open 2005 in Double-A.

He struggled some in AA, but he's only 23. Obviously, he'd basically be 2003 Wily Mo Pena'd on this team, but so be it, nothing to lose.