New Ownership Rumor

I was listening to WQAM and there was something mentioned about a Spanish TV station owner named Cisneros that is letting it be known that he wants to buy the Marlins and has enough deep pockets and connections to get the stadium deal done as well.

There was a similar reference to some other wealthy individual that is based in Coral Gables, but I forget the business that he is in nor do I remember the name, but I remember it was someone that tried to get the team from John Henry before MLB put Jeffrey Loria in place down here.

What have you all heard about these rumors?

Gustavo Cisneros, a billionaire Venezuelan media mogul, wants to buy the team. Loria doesn't want to sell, though. Cisneros would almost certainly be able to get this stadium deal done. Loria would rather crush the hopes and dreams of Marlins fans in So. Florida by moving the team than selling it to Cisneros, who will keep the team here.

Loria won't sell, unfortunately.

"The team is not for sale"

-Samson on The Ticket

Could the fact that Samson made that statement validate that someone or some people have shown interest in prying the team from the Loria group? I remember when he made the statement, but didn't think anything of it until I heard this other rumor today.

Gustavo Cisneros, a billionaire Venezuelan media mogul, wants to buy the team. Loria doesn't want to sell, though. Cisneros would almost certainly be able to get this stadium deal done. Loria would rather crush the hopes and dreams of Marlins fans in So. Florida by moving the team than selling it to Cisneros, who will keep the team here.

Thanks for the confirmation. This may actually give us some hope. I wonder how Bud Selig would deal with this situation. It would look pretty bad if he allowed the team to move if there is someone with the money to get everything that the Marlins need completed. How could that be justified to the public?

Does anyone know about any of the other rumored suitors?

It would look just as bad if Selig forced Loria to sell to Cisneros, since that's basically what Diaz/Arrolia want and Selig would look to be caving to local politicians instead of supporting his owners.

Loria isn't selling anytime soon on his own - both Samson and Loria have stated that multiple times over the last few weeks

Codina is another rumored buyer, but the confirmation is weak at best.

The best hope is Loria somehow finds a way to make it work

It would look just as bad if Selig forced Loria to sell to Cisneros, since that's basically what Diaz/Arrolia want and Selig would look to be caving to local politicians instead of supporting his owners.

Loria isn't selling anytime soon on his own - both Samson and Loria have stated that multiple times over the last few weeks

Codina is another rumored buyer, but the confirmation is weak at best.

The best hope is Loria somehow finds a way to make it work

I don't know where to side on all of this. I just want the Marlins to stay and put championship teams on the field.

Yeah, Selig would look bad either way. LOL. He seems to always step into crap no matter how hard he tries not to. Personally, if Selig forced a sell to Cisneros, I would have a slight bad taste in my mouth because of Diaz and Arriola's tactics, but we all know that politics are always ugly, especially here in Dade County. (And I'm a Latin man saying this.) However, I look at Samson and for many reasons I wouldn't feel sorry for him; just for his step dad. Maybe they can compensate him by selling him the Nationals? They still don't have an owner and are about to get a free stadium from the D.C. area. Just a thought.

Thanks for the confirmation on Codina, even if it isn't as strong as the Cisneros rumor.

Maybe it would be best if MLB granted Miami an expansion team retaining the marlin name , and allow Loria to move because it seems a new owner (fair or not) would have a better chance at getting a stadium done.

or even better give Loria the expansion team and sell the marlins to an owner who can get things done

I would be fine with either option. Doubt it's feasible. I would rather have Loria take a new expansion team and have Cisneros inherent the current team. I want us to keep Miggy and D-Train.

Maybe it would be best if MLB granted Miami an expansion team retaining the marlin name , and allow Loria to move because it seems a new owner (fair or not) would have a better chance at getting a stadium done.

or even better give Loria the expansion team and sell the current marlins roster to an owner who can get things done

the MLB isnt in position to expand anytime soon really.

If Loria can get some city to build him a free stadium and MLB really believes this is a viable market and shouldn't be abandoned, then expansion is viable. The problem could be that MLB would have to let two franchises come in.

except that expansion isnt really viable within the MLB landscape at this time. I just dont see anyway for there to be a way to field 32 MLB quality teams.

*shrugs*

If Loria can get some city to build him a free stadium and MLB really believes this is a viable market and shouldn't be abandoned, then expansion is viable. The problem could be that MLB would have to let two franchises come in.

except that expansion isnt really viable within the MLB landscape at this time. I just dont see anyway for there to be a way to field 32 MLB quality teams.

*shrugs*

I agree.

If Loria can't get the stadium deal done he really should sell the team to someone down here, even if the guy is in bed with local politicians, instead of relocating the team. Either option I really, REALLY don't like but selling to one of Diaz/Arrolia's constituants has the happy residue of keeping the franchise here in South Florida.

At this point in time though I don't think either side really gives a sh*t about us so I'm going to side with the party that wants to keep it here, even if they aren't doing it on my behalf.

How bout give Loria back the Nationals (do they not have an owner?)? Why did he sell them to begin with anyway, and why did he come to Miami?

I would say it is in the best interest of MLB to get the Marlins going in South Fl, and it ain't going to happen with Loria. I like that there are so many potential owners, it gives me hope.

Cisneros would be a great fit. He has the bucks, and his Univision station could make the Marlins the team for all of latin america. Stranger things have happened (ala the back door deal which gave the marlins to the car salesman that is samson without allowing anyone else to bid on the team). I agree, giv ethe nationals back to Loria/Samson and let a local man with the necessary capital and political pull to get this done once and for all so we can just worry about the on the field stuff and not all of this off the fireld bullsh#t

I hope that some savior comes along, Cisneros or anyone else. The reality though is this:

MLB has no system in place to force a team to spend a minimum amount on payroll. That's the key, an immediate problem for the Marlins and a continuing problem for the rest of the league. Blame Bud Selig.

.As long as this policy is in place, Loria has no financial incentive to sell. He can collect 30-60 million per year in TV revenue and revenue sharing and luxury tax, and occassionally reap an extra windfall under certain circumstances. Throughout this time, he can go ahead and field a team with a 15 million dollar payroll if he wants. He automaticaly makes millions a year, even if nobody comes to the games, and he can just sit and wait until someone, somewhere, pays for the stadium that his team will play in or overpays for his franchise.

Loria is in the driver's seat and he can sit and wait for years....or if he decides can ask for an unreasonably high price for the franchise. Maybe Cisneros will get some Christmas spirit and pay Loria 500 million. And then go ahead and pay another 500 million for a stadium. It's possible. I wouldn't count on it though.

."It's nothing personal....this is business"..........Sonny Corleone

I just imagine I'm Loria. I'm filthy rich, so I dont really care where I live because I have houses in several places and can fly all over the country. I own a baseball team, but I'm losing alot of money on it.

Selling it is my last option, if I really have a passion for owning a team. Unfortunate for us, hopefully MLB has too much invested in what's good for the game.

*shrugs*

purchase the devil rays and move them to miami?