Fan taskforce with D. Samson's approval

Strike 3

I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, but doesn't this sound the slightest bit fishy to anyone?

I'm not trashing grass roots movements, or the belief of political efficacy, but this woman seems to only be out for herself. As Marlins2003 said earlier, it appears she's just campaigning for a job somewhere down the line.

I mean, here's the gist of the meeting from the reports from those who went:

"Let's set up a meeting with Wayne Huizenga, we should have the mayor, possibly the governor, some Marlins representatives, and...me!"

No one else finds that the slightest bit off?

So what? She's spearheading it, so she can make herself one of the key figures. So long as she's trying to get the Marlins to stay in South Florida I couldn't care less if she also wants a job. If anything, it's a strong incentive for her to succeed: if she gets the Marlins to stay, she gets a job.

No, see, I think you missed my point.

What I meant was this:

As an organizer of a grass roots movement, without experience in government, no degree demonstrating a specialty in the field or really any involvement with any of the parties at a professional level, she brings nothing to the table.

What the goal of any "save the Marlins" movement should be is making it evident enough that this is a big deal to the voters...meaning the focus should be on all local and state politicians, not Huizenga, not the Marlins.

There need to be lists pages long with countless names on them presented to every elected official or hopeful for the 2006 elections. That's the goal, not sitting in a board room with Huizenga and Loria. How seriously would she be taken, or, more importantly, what would she bring to the table?

I'm not at the point in saying that her heart is in the wrong place, but I seriously question where her head is...

I believe she's a lawyer with some civic experience. You're questioning her tactics. Understandable. What does she bring to the table? It seems to me that she is willing to put in all this work and dedication where no one else has been willing. That counts for a lot, in my book. Adults lead busy lives and I am sure this a very time-consuming endeavour (sp?). I applaud her efforts!

But the movement is trying to involve local and state politicians and what you're mentioning is part of the plan.

If her experience in leading this kind of an effort is limited, well, it's important to note that she is trying to involve as many people as possible and certainly welcoming those whose areas of expertise will be beneficial. It would be a problem if she was one of those arrogant types who think they always know best. For example, the person I mentioned I put her in touch with, has some experience in dealing with local and state politicians and can help in other areas as well. Well, I sent her the info last night and they have already communicated and plan to meet.

Every movement needs a leader and, let's face it, she's the one who stepped up. Trying to start something like this is daunting and difficult when you have to balance a full-time career and personal obligations as well as I'm sure many of us are keenly aware. She can't do it alone and knows it. I do not believe she would be adverse to constructive criticism.

So what? She's spearheading it, so she can make herself one of the key figures. So long as she's trying to get the Marlins to stay in South Florida I couldn't care less if she also wants a job. If anything, it's a strong incentive for her to succeed: if she gets the Marlins to stay, she gets a job.

Prinmemito, I agree and was trying to make that point some time ago. If she does or doesn't have personal ambitions, who cares as long as our goal is the same!

I know who she is. That was a preliminary discussion she had with D. Samson yesterday so this is clearly in the very early stages. What I'd like to do is first gauge the interest here before I contact her. I did mention to her that there was a Marlins baseball forum with many members who had expressed interest in somehow getting involved to help keep this team here. She seemed surprised. I want to be able to give some indication of how much support to expect.

Post the information and I'm in.

Where are all those so-called Marlins supporters that were free to knock everyone else on this boards opinions any time it differed from their own? Here's a chance for them to put their support where their mouths are. Dogfish? Other annoyances?

I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone, but doesn't this sound the slightest bit fishy to anyone?

I'm not trashing grass roots movements, or the belief of political efficacy, but this woman seems to only be out for herself. As Marlins2003 said earlier, it appears she's just campaigning for a job somewhere down the line.

"Let's set up a meeting with Wayne Huizenga, we should have the mayor, possibly the governor, some Marlins representatives, and...me!"

What I meant was this:

As an organizer of a grass roots movement, without experience in government, no degree demonstrating a specialty in the field or really any involvement with any of the parties at a professional level, she brings nothing to the table.

What the goal of any "save the Marlins" movement should be is making it evident enough that this is a big deal to the voters...meaning the focus should be on all local and state politicians, not Huizenga, not the Marlins.

There need to be lists pages long with countless names on them presented to every elected official or hopeful for the 2006 elections. That's the goal, not sitting in a board room with Huizenga and Loria. How seriously would she be taken, or, more importantly, what would she bring to the table?

I'm not at the point in saying that her heart is in the wrong place, but I seriously question where her head is...

Since obviously you were not there - you do not know what we discussed as a task force. We are meeting with the Dade County Commission to put our cause on the upcoming agenda for a commission meeting. We formed an official PAC (political activity committe) to be recognized by the government. Based on suggestions from the rep of Carlos Alvarez (Miami-Dade Mayor's Office) we go to this meeting and see what they suggest - if they require to see 100k petitions from taxpayers then our REAL work starts. But it may not be necessary to jump through this hoop until told to. We discussed shirts, and bumper sticker designs, we discussed volunteering on weekends and such gathering voters petitions, email campaigns to the local politiicians...

And for the record - she is more than qualified as she sat on the City of Miami Sports and Exhibition Committe and brought back the Grand Prix of Miami and several other sporting related initiatives. The main thing that ties us all together is love for the Marlins. Miami lost the Orange Bowl, the Fl . Panthers, the Orange Bowl parade....if we do not speak up on this, they will allow the Marlins to move out of the state when a viable option does rear its head in whatever state that may be....Vegas is not happening...

But the movement is trying to involve local and state politicians and what you're mentioning is part of the plan.

If her experience in leading this kind of an effort is limited, well, it's important to note that she is trying to involve as many people as possible and certainly welcoming those whose areas of expertise will be beneficial. It would be a problem if she was one of those arrogant types who think they always know best. For example, the person I mentioned I put her in touch with, has some experience in dealing with local and state politicians and can help in other areas as well. Well, I sent her the info last night and they have already communicated and plan to meet.

Every movement needs a leader and, let's face it, she's the one who stepped up. Trying to start something like this is daunting and difficult when you have to balance a full-time career and personal obligations as well as I'm sure many of us are keenly aware. She can't do it alone and knows it. I do not believe she would be adverse to constructive criticism.

Prinmemito, I agree and was trying to make that point some time ago. If she does or doesn't have personal ambitions, who cares as long as our goal is the same!

Believe me, I have met with her one on one and she is devoted to this cause and our goal of saving Baseball in S. Florida...that is why I am coordinating Broward efforts to do the same thing....we are working together on this, but since she is in Miami, I am trying to assist in Broward - my background is not in politics but as a fan of baseball and the Florida marlins - I am an organizer of events and have coordinated several projects for charities in S. Florida, and professional I am a Tax Accountant for a major corporation in S. Florida.

What I meant was this:

This is in the beginning stages. I think they are just planning right now. I do believe they are eventually going to pressure the politicians/etc. Don't you think it's good that someone is at least trying to do something about the situation? I do.

I know who she is. That was a preliminary discussion she had with D. Samson yesterday so this is clearly in the very early stages. What I'd like to do is first gauge the interest here before I contact her. I did mention to her that there was a Marlins baseball forum with many members who had expressed interest in somehow getting involved to help keep this team here. She seemed surprised. I want to be able to give some indication of how much support to expect.

Post the information and I'm in.

Where are all those so-called Marlins supporters that were free to knock everyone else on this boards opinions any time it differed from their own? Here's a chance for them to put their support where their mouths are. Dogfish? Other annoyances?

All the information we have has already been posted including Marianne's contact information. It's all in this thread.

What I meant was this:

This is in the beginning stages. I think they are just planning right now. I do believe they are eventually going to pressure the politicians/etc. Don't you think it's good that someone is at least trying to do something about the situation? I do.

He's always very negative and his reasoning is always very poor. No worries.

What I meant was this:

:lol

Always very poor reasoning. Thanks a bunch.

I guess "the path to hell is paved with good intentions" means nothing to you, or do you fail to comprehend that one too?

What I meant was this:

Read your first quote and then the second quote. You're not saying the same things. In the first quote, you say it is fishy that she seems to be out for herself. In the second quote, you question her qualifications (and not her motivations), yet you say that you didn't mean what you said in the first quote. Clearly some faulty reasoning there.

Some other examples: you've said that Miguel Cabrera, at the ripe age of 22, has hit his ceiling. You've said that Dontrelle Willis has been inconsistent, yet he's only had one losing season in his whole professional career and only twice has his ERA been over 3.00 (2003 and 2004). He's 46-27 lifetime in the Majors... how is that inconsistent? One thing is to say you doubt he has the stuff to be an ace (which is a reasonable thing to say), it's quite another to say that one of the winningest pitchers in the big leagues in the last three seasons (which were his first three seasons) is inconsistent.

What I meant was this:

:lol

Always very poor reasoning. Thanks a bunch.

I guess "the path to hell is paved with good intentions" means nothing to you, or do you fail to comprehend that one too?

Why do you insinuate that no one comprehends you? I understand what you're saying. What's your point? Were you even at the meetings? If you think her intentions are not well, leave it to yourself. We are trying to organize something here.

We formed a PAC (Political Action Committee) known as the "Citizens to Save Baseball in S. Fla". The leadership will meet with the Dade County Commission to put our cause on the agenda for an upcoming meeting. Depending on how they address our existence will determine the next step. It is possible that we may need to do some grass roots petitioning for registered voters. But that will be determined in the near future. A news media camera taped the meeting and a final press release announcing our PAC existence - that will be aired on Sunday at 7pm on Channel 22 (I believe that is WDLP).

I think WDLP broadcasts from Key West to South Broward. I checked my DirecTV guide and it is on Channel 985. Maybe others could check their respective cable guides.

• 2 weeks later...

Two things are happening behind the scenes:

1- Miami-Dade County is re-assessing their possible contribution. Hotel bed taxes have exceeded their wildest imagination for 2005 - it's just a question of whether this trend will continue long enough to bond out the future expected revenues into a lump sum for the stadium and for how much.

2- Loria is supposed to sit down with Wayne very soon to revisit options on the land next to JRS. Don't ask about dates - I do not know.

Marianne's group ("Citizens For Baseball in South Florida") will continue to work back channels until these two things happen. Commissioner Sosa is a key player/supporter.