Fan taskforce with D. Samson's approval

Strike 3

I posted some information in the Townhall meeting thread about a woman who was named ?president? of a fan taskforce by David Samson. I am posting the information in this forum because I?d like some feedback from those of you who have expressed interest in ?saving the Marlins?. I believe this could be the most constructive initiative we, as fans, could be part of.

To recap: This woman is an attorney, who spoke at the meeting and was very intelligent and made some excellent points. She asked David Samson why the Marlins didn?t involve the fans in the quest for a stadium ? something like an organized group of fans who could assist in lobbying local politicians and create momentum in the community.

In a very respectful manner, she pointed out that Messrs. Loria and Samson were not from here and that in any community it helps to know how to navigate the system and those in power. She has experience in dealing with local/state politicians. Her comments were compelling enough that Samson seemed to realize she was serious, agreed with her about putting this together and, when the meeting ended, exchanged information & contact details with her. When he said he was naming her President of this effort, there was much crowd support.

Working in conjunction with the Marlins, this has the potential to become the most organized/structured of fan efforts and may be the best way for us to get involved.

There was a lot of talk on this board about not losing our team without a fight. I approached her after she finished speaking with David Samson and got her contact details. She indicated that she would be happy to know there is support for this endeavor.

I know who she is. That was a preliminary discussion she had with D. Samson yesterday so this is clearly in the very early stages. What I'd like to do is first gauge the interest here before I contact her. I did mention to her that there was a Marlins baseball forum with many members who had expressed interest in somehow getting involved to help keep this team here. She seemed surprised. I want to be able to give some indication of how much support to expect.

I may be wrong, but I believe she is:

Maritza Gutierrez founded Creative Ideas Advertising in 1983, a full service minority-owned advertising agency in South Florida. Gutierrez has extensive experience in every aspect ofthe communications field, and her civic and community involvement includes serving as a board member of the Miami Sports and Exhibition Authority, and the Orange Bowl Advisory

Committee. She is also an emeritus member of the Community Partnership for the Homeless. Additionally, Gutierrez was appointed by the Governor as a marketing expert to the Destination Florida Commission.

I say this because she was the only female member of the MSEA I could find. I could be wrong.

If it is her, one would first have to ascertain where her loyalties in fact, did lie. The MSEA is after all populated with political appointments/cronies of the administration.

It's good in theory. But so far all you've done is make about 25 posts with the same information over and over. Please stop feeding us hope until you can get to the next phase--actually corresponding with this woman more than once (which I'm sure was a passing conversation that lasted for a minute or two at the Town Hall Meeting).

from some googling, my guess would be marianne salazar.

Marianne Salazar, a Cuban-American attorney who lives in Palmetto Bay, said she is frustrated by aggressive policies and approaches that have done little to accomplish Democratic change on the island. She called Pay? a renaissance man with great courage and vision.

''I think that the bottom line here is the embargo hasn't worked, and Mr. Pay? truly understands democracy. If someone truly wants to be a communist, they should be able to be a communist,'' said Salazar, 49.

``He's subjecting himself and his family to repercussions, and I admire him, and he should have the support of all Cuban exiles.''

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:nJExn...alazar%22&hl=en

she also ran for public office at some point and lost.

It's good in theory. But so far all you've done is make about 25 posts with the same information over and over. Please stop feeding us hope until you can get to the next phase--actually corresponding with this woman more than once (which I'm sure was a passing conversation that lasted for a minute or two at the Town Hall Meeting).

What I did was put the information in the correct forum in an effort to gauge the response. I am not "feeding you hope" and I didn't want to contact her until I have something to say in terms of what kind of support to expect. If you don't get that I'm just trying to help then I'm sorry, don't read it and if you think you can do more, feel free.

This is the email I received today in response to the message I sent (this is a copy & paste job):

I really really appreciate your help. Tomorrow at 10:00AM in the

Marlin's store located at 3701 SW 8 Street there is going to be a press

conference. CITIZENS TO SAVE THE MARLINS. Please inform everyone that you

can. I'm going to contact the board right now. If you could come it would

be great. The more people there the better. We can't give up - maybe

everyone has but we lovers of the Marlins won't. Regards. Marianne.

It would be WONDERFUL if some of us could make it tomorrow!!

Apparently, she tried to join the board and address you all directly because I also received the following:

I'm technologically challenged and can't get into the board to post

the information about me and the meeting/press conference tomorrow. Please

help by giving the details, my name: Marianne Salazar, my email and if you

wish my cell (305) 975-6274 and my office (305) 595-5100 Thanks. Marianne.

Her email address is: [email protected]

I wasn't trying to be evasive, guys, I just wasn't comfortable posting someone's personal info on the internet without their permission.

I really think we should just try to focus on our goal here and not try to dissect/analyze too much. I know some of you have expressed qualms or reservations with regard to motivations but IMO, it is in all our best interests to put that aside. Arriola and Samson were butting heads in a mutual distrust fest when they should have just focused on the end result. This is the first opportunity we've had to really get involved in working towards something that means a lot to us.