Marlins sign Helms and Olivo

fauowls44

I'm very pleased :thumbup

Olivo is a good signing for a number of reasons, Helms is a guy with a bunch of things that need to be fixed but for 2006 the team is starting to take shape.

It's going to be interesting to see who winds up making the 25 man roster coming out of spring training but at least we'll see some competition for roster spots as opposed to just handing jobs to kids who may or may not be ready.

Here's what Rotoworld has to say....

Miguel Olivo - C - Marlins

Marlins signed catcher Miguel Olivo, who had been with the Padres, to a one-year contract.

Olivo, who is joining his fourth team in a year and a half, will compete with Josh Willingham for the starting job behind the plate. He hasn't played well in the Dominican Republic, but he did hit .304/.341/.487 in 116 AB after joining the Padres last season. It's improved defense that the Marlins will want to see in spring training. Olivo has all of the tools, but neither the Mariners nor the Padres were impressed at all by his glovework. Dec. 30 - 6:11 pm et

Wes Helms - 3B - Marlins

Marlins signed first baseman-third baseman Wes Helms, who had been with the Brewers, to a one-year contract.

Another decent pickup for Florida. Helms figures to be Mike Jacobs' platoonmate at first base. He can also back up Miguel Cabrera at third base and some spot duty in the outfield corners is a possibility. Helms had an 881 OPS in 83 AB against lefties last season and is at 824 for his career. He was miscast as a regular by the Brewers, but he has some value. Dec. 30 - 6:07 pm et

I still think Reese and Amezaga will be our starting 2B and SS to begin the year... with Hanley starting in the minors.

Here's an interesting question: Could Helms start at 3B? ...moving Cabs back to LF, Hermida to CF and Willy to RF?

I sincerely doubt it but it could be an option. I'd just rather Cabs never leave 3B and not even mess with Hermida in CF.

Girardi has said that he wants to give Jacobs a shot at playing every day. That means playing against righties and lefties. Not sure what Helms role will be. I guess he is good to have a backup in case Jacobs struggles. However, I think Jacobs will be fine, meaning Helms becomes our backup 1b and 3b, and good bench player.

I like these moves, but how weird is it that we're getting excited over signing Wes Helms, Miguel Olivo, Pokey Reese, and Joe Borowski??

Girardi has said that he wants to give Jacobs a shot at playing every day. That means playing against righties and lefties. Not sure what Helms role will be. I guess he is good to have a backup in case Jacobs struggles. However, I think Jacobs will be fine, meaning Helms becomes our backup 1b and 3b, and good bench player.

I like these moves, but how weird is it that we're getting excited over signing Wes Helms, Miguel Olivo, Pokey Reese, and Joe Borowski??

I don't see anyone peeing their pants over these signings, yet those signed so far are interesting and cheap players that could potentially join the core ala rferry.

I don't see anyone peeing their pants over these signings, yet those signed so far are interesting and cheap players that could potentially join the core ala rferry.

Nah, I know.. I didn't mean anything bad by it. I just find it weird how last year at this time, we were all talking about Carlos Delgado and whether he was gonna put us over the top... It's just a strange feeling only one year later.. that's all.

If you go back into initial Olivo thread, I linked a piece by a Mariner's blog guy that was really quite insightful. Olivo it seems was really shaken to the core by being traded and never quite recovered, and the two scouts quoted in the piece both seem to think he's a capable MLer who needs to work on a couple of things to really see the best come out in him.

If anyone missed it, here's the link again, I think it's worth another read:

http://ussmariner.com/?p=2478

I hope Girardi does let Jacobs play every day. He has to see left-handed pitching every chance he gets so he can get used to them. Sure the Franco/LaRoche platoon has worked very well for the Braves but Helms is not that good a hitter as Franco and you gotta let the guy who is in your future plans (Jacobs) develop.

I know Helms hits LHP well.. but still, I just hope he doesn't take ABs away from Jacobs.

Me too. He'd be a decent bat off the bench though & if Jacobs struggles a little & they do wind up platooning Helms some.... well that OPS vs lefties isn't bad at all.

& Cabrera would not be happy at all moving back to the outfield because Wes Helms just took his position. :shifty