Old Timers Day NYY vs Marlins...

Lou Pinella participated in a pregame Yankee stadium onfield event as Devil Rays manager last year or the year before. I forget what the event was exactly but he was out there with his 'fellow' Yankees. I think Joe would do it if asked and I doubt anyone associated with the Marlins would be offended or care if he did.

Yankees coaches have played and coached the same day

Joe Girardi is not a Yankee coach...he is the Marlin manager.

Girardi might participate in the pre-game festvities but I highly doubt he will "play" in the game.

Yeah, I'd think that's likely.

Guest CHRISTYTOD

I'll be there as well - I always make the trip to NYC when the Marlins play in the Bronx. I'm going to the Friday night game - I assume Old Timers Day will be on Saturday so I will miss that - but it's ALWAYS a pleasure to go to Yankee Stadium - 2 weeks from today..............

What is Old Timers Day?

Old Timer's Day used to be common for every team. In the days before free agency players used to be on the same team for their whole career, or a big part of it. It was a nice tradition. I always liked it. Just imagine watching your favorite Marlins players in their 40's and 50's, playing a 3 inning game.

I'll be there as well - I always make the trip to NYC when the Marlins play in the Bronx. I'm going to the Friday night game - I assume Old Timers Day will be on Saturday so I will miss that - but it's ALWAYS a pleasure to go to Yankee Stadium - 2 weeks from today..............

So, how exactly do they act to fans of the other team? I'm going to the Sunday game and hoping that Yankees fans don't give me too much sh*t for wearing my Marlins stuff and cheering for them. Just wondering because I've never been there before.

You'll probably be plunked by a beer or 2 during the game and pummeled by some fans while you're walking out of the stadium. Just hope that they don't have any bats with them. Try to travel in groups and don't bring any children.

So, how exactly do they act to fans of the other team? I'm going to the Sunday game and hoping that Yankees fans don't give me too much sh*t for wearing my Marlins stuff and cheering for them. Just wondering because I've never been there before.

You'll be fine. The Yankee fans as a whole are civil in my experiences.

Lou Pinella participated in a pregame Yankee stadium onfield event as Devil Rays manager last year or the year before. I forget what the event was exactly but he was out there with his 'fellow' Yankees. I think Joe would do it if asked and I doubt anyone associated with the Marlins would be offended or care if he did.

I believe that when Billy Martin was the manager of the Twins,Tigers and Rangers, he took part and PLAYED in Old Timers Days.

I hate the Yankees with a passion, but I give then credit..they have let Jim Bouton back in for OTDs...

You'll be fine. The Yankee fans as a whole are civil in my experiences.

Yankee fans? Civil? Surely you jest!

Guest CHRISTYTOD

I find that the fans at Yankee Stadium are very nice - I have never had a problem, even when I went to Game One of the W.S., 2003. But I have only sat in the lower deck, right above the Yankees dugout (thanks to a friend) I don't know how it is in the upper deck, etc.

I think the Yanks' fans are so used to winning that they don't begrudge the 'lowly' Marlins their shot - it's not like we take it from them every year - their fans seemed to be sympathetic to what we go through for the most part - they are great sports when I root for the 'Fish' there.

I find that the fans at Yankee Stadium are very nice - I have never had a problem, even when I went to Game One of the W.S., 2003. But I have only sat in the lower deck, right above the Yankees dugout (thanks to a friend) I don't know how it is in the upper deck, etc.

I think the Yanks' fans are so used to winning that they don't begrudge the 'lowly' Marlins their shot - it's not like we take it from them every year - their fans seemed to be sympathetic to what we go through for the most part - they are great sports when I root for the 'Fish' there.

That was before the Marlins beat them in the WS in their home park. Overall, the Yankee fans are knowledgable and of no harm. But you do have a higher percentage of running into that one bad fan...and that's all it takes. Seriously, I grew up as a New Yorker. There are 4 place I would not wear a Marlins Jersey. In order:

1: Philadelphia....stupid and drunk

2. Boston.......drunk and drunk

3. Mets......3% chance of running into obnoxious fan who hurts you

4. Yankees.....1% chance of running into obnoxious fan who hurts you

It's possible to run into some drunken sloth in Atlanta, Houston, Tampa, Milwaukee, or anywhere else. But the chances are so remote that it's not worth thinking about.

I'm also going to the Sunday game. Wow it seems like there should be a good amount of Marlins fans there. I've never been to the Bronx before, because I hate the Yankees, so I really dont know how Yankee fans would act. I cant imagine it would be anything like they do towards Boston fans or Met fans or anything like that. We're just there for 3 games then they never see us again so I dont think they will really care. I've been to Shae many times and no ones ever said anything to me before.

As a whole, yes they are. Of course there are some obnoxious and rude ones but every team has those.

they only truly hate red sox fans.

and i think a lot of it is just red sox fans bringing it upon themselves in all situations. They make me laugh many times, especially with the way they are totally ungrateful to former players, feeling as if the players 'owe' something to the Red Sox and the organization owes them nothing in return.

Funny stuff!

As a whole, yes they are. Of course there are some obnoxious and rude ones but every team has those.

they only truly hate red sox fans.

and i think a lot of it is just red sox fans bringing it upon themselves in all situations. They make me laugh many times, especially with the way they are totally ungrateful to former players, feeling as if the players 'owe' something to the Red Sox and the organization owes them nothing in return.

Funny stuff!

Ahem!

I beg to differ!

It's only when former players spit in our faces when they leave.

We didn't boo Clemens when he returned as a Blue Jay. It was only when he went to the Yankees and began badmouthing the city. Boggs earned our dislike when he said in Spring Training '93 that he was a rookie with the Yankees and he never played for the Sox. Damon said last year that he'd never go to the Yankees and then he pills his little stunt.

When Mo Vaughn went to the Angels we didn't boo him; we knew that he was screwed over by Dan Duquette.

Think we'ree booing Mike Myers this seasopn? Likewise last year with Embree and Bellhorn after the Sox cut them and they went to the Yankees? No.

We only boo those who act like jerks.