Marlins are buyers?

CanadianFishFan

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I saw this on www.tsn.ca

Sensing that the Marlins might be able to make an improbably bid for a wildcard spot, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel suggests the team look at some outfielders -- like Juan Pierre, Willy Taveras, Luis Matos and Cory Sullivan -- to give them a better shot.

By "South Florida Sun-Sentinel," they mean "Mike Berardino," who dropped those names in his latest Marlins column. And he's as out-of-the-loop as any local Marlin writer.

Couldn't have said it better myself :thumbup

The only difference between Berardino and the rest of flock is that Berardino writes exclusively with malice in his heart while with most of the rest it's simple incompetence.

By "South Florida Sun-Sentinel," they mean "Mike Berardino," who dropped those names in his latest Marlins column. And he's as out-of-the-loop as any local Marlin writer.

Couldn't have said it better myself :thumbup

The only difference between Berardino and the rest of flock is that Berardino writes exclusive with malice in his heart while with most of the rest it's simple incompetence.

or down right ignorance :whistle

What's even more comical are Berardino's choices.

Luis Matos, he of the .205 BA and .282 OBP for the princely sum of $1.65 million and a worthless free agent next year to boot.

Juan Pierre, who I love and will always rejoice as I remember his contribution in 2003, but unfortunately now a $6 million a year player with a .249 batting average and embarrassingly low .295 OBP while playing on what has to be one of the slowest infields in the game. I can think of alot of places I'd commit $9 million+ over this season and next before I traded a single prospect for Pierre.

Cory Sullivan, who you couldn't get out of Denver with thermonuclear weapons.

And Willy Tavares, whose Houston Astros are so offensively challenged that his .267 batting average is fourth among regulars and for whom homeruns are even more scarce than for Juan Pierre.

Gee, thanks Mike for your efforts. We know you really only want what's best for the Marlins.

Luis Matos, he of the .205 BA and .282 OBP for the princely sum of $1.65 million and a worthless free agent next year to boot.

Juan Pierre, who I love and will always rejoice as I remember his contribution in 2003, but unfortunately now a $6 million a year player with a .249 batting average and embarrassingly low .295 OBP while playing on what has to be one of the slowest infields in the game. I can think of alot of places I'd commit $9 million+ over this season and next before I traded a single prospect for Pierre.

And Willy Tavares, whose Houston Astros are so offensively challenged that his .267 batting average is fourth among regulars and for whom homeruns are even more scarce than for Juan Pierre.

Gee, thanks Mike for your efforts. We know you really only want what's best for the Marlins.

Good summary. If we're going to pull a trade we need to either get a young player who we control for 4-5 before FA or we get someone signed to a good deal (Crawford). Unless the right package/player comes along we might as well wait until the offseason. It will cost alot to get the type of CF prospect we all want, but you have to give to get. Definitely no reason to give away anything for a rent a bum.

I think we need to go at least 10-5 in our next 15 games before Loria will pick up the phone and call Beinfest.

Agreed.

As far as this team has come, they still need to continue this crazy run before the FO will become buyers.

Personally, I think they should follow the philosophy of ADDING BY NOT SUBTRACTING. Just keeping Willis will send a message to other teams and Marlins fans.

Loria has shown that he will pull the trigger is we are in contention. There is no reason why he wont again if we are still hot after the All Star Break.

I think we need to go at least 10-5 in our next 15 games before Loria will pick up the phone and call Beinfest.

Agreed.

As far as this team has come, they still need to continue this crazy run before the FO will become buyers.

Personally, I think they should follow the philosophy of ADDING BY NOT SUBTRACTING. Just keeping Willis will send a message to other teams and Marlins fans.

Loria has shown that he will pull the trigger is we are in contention. There is no reason why he wont again if we are still hot after the All Star Break.

I don't think we need to be .500 (or very close) at the AS break for us to add some talent to this team. I don't see any reason why we can't add pieces at the deadline that can be here more that just this year.

yea if we do any trades it has to be for a prospect OFer not one whos somewhat established and it will probly take anibal and gaby to get crawford which i wouldnt even want to do because of crawfords OBP maybe we can talk to the DRays and try to see if we can get Delmon while he's suspended

:lol :thumbup

Tavares is not worth anything right now. His batting average is low his defense is sub par. He still makes rookie type mistakes. He is suitable for the bench. For a leadoff type hitter he is useless. He is not what the Marlins should be looking for unless he is extremely cheap.

Does anyone think that if we are at .500 or maybe a game below we could get someone good like crawford yes I know the Devil Rays are always hard to trade with but with many teams becoming sellers instead of buyers we have a chance to get someone decent

Yes, as long as we have Admin Beinfeist( The best GM in MLB) and if Loria wants to win then yes.

Does anyone think that if we are at .500 or maybe a game below we could get someone good like crawford yes I know the Devil Rays are always hard to trade with but with many teams becoming sellers instead of buyers we have a chance to get someone decent

We may have a chance at someone LIKE Carl Crawford, but it's highly unlikely that we actually get CC himself unless we give up a D-Train type player. CC is essentially the face of the D-Rays, with the new ownership trying to bring back the fans, the last thing they're going to do is trade their franchise player away for prospects.

Trading for Crawford would make tons of sense not just for this year but for the future as. Having a lineup of Hanley, Crawford, Cabrera, Hermida for the next five or so years would be devastating. I think we having the pitching prospects that could get it done as well (or at least more than some of the other contenders). Plus I think the Devil Rays would prefer a slew of young prospects vs Dontrelle Willis.

Slow infield = fewer groundball hits past the infielders

Slow infield = fewer groundball hits past the infielders

A bunter's paradise as he showed in one of the last games he played at Wrigley in a Marlins uniform.

Am I the only one who thinks that even if we make it to .500 by the break we probably shouldn't break our backs to bring in a CFer? There doesn't seem to be many options out there that fit our needs, either offensively or finacially. And sure they're playing great right now, but there's a lot of season in front of them, as much as I'd love to see them keep it up I'm not expecting it. This team is stacked for the next few years and trading away parts of that now for an improbable run just doesn't make sense. I rather them just let this season play itself out and go after next year hardcore. Just my $.02.