Olivo

marlinsfan75

I was thinking about how at the beginning of the season he wasn't even supposed to be the full-time catcher. Not only is he hitting for average and decent power but he has a cannon for an arm. The play 2 days ago where the ball got by him and he still threw out Nick Johnson was unreal. Granted Johnson isn't very fast. I think his only downfall early was his handling of the lefties, but I think he has steadily gotten better. This guy doesn't get enough credit. I hope he is here next year.

Olivo has been a tremendous addition to this team. He has proven that he deserves to play every day. Olivo, Dan Uggla and the rookie starters ( Johnson, Olsen, Nolasco and Sanchez) are the reasons why the Marlins have surprised so many this year.

I have no doubts that they will try hard to re-sign him for next year.

I'm really pleased with his performance this year, and to tell you the truth I am surprised too. I didn't think i'd see him hit .290 with power, and I also had no clue he had a cannon for an arm. I'm down with signing him up through next year, and who knows, if we get a stadium and he is still around, maybe we could lock him up long term.

Yeah, don't sign him to a long term deal. I really embrace his power at the bottom of the order, but he has been so streaky throughout his career that I won't automatically expect the same numbers next season.

He is at least deserving of a 1 year contract for next season. Lets evaluate him, and if he does repeat his performance, then we can consider signing him long term. I agree that he has to prove that he can put up those numbers consistently. The guy might just be a late bloomer though, and I hope he does keep it up. Even if this year was a fluke and he does half as well next season, his arm and the good job he's done with the pitchers is worth keeping him around, unless we find a better replacement (whether via FA or in the farm system). Though that will be kinda hard to do.

Yeah, don't sign him to a long term deal. I really embrace his power at the bottom of the order, but he has been so streaky throughout his career that I won't automatically expect the same numbers next season.

I don't think he has been streaky since coming to the National League. Didn't he hit .300 inn San Diego last year? Maybe he is just a National League player. Who knows? Anyway, I don't think he will be a free agent next season. He will still be under our control if we offer him arbitration. Don't know if the Marlins will due that though because he will get a big raise after the season he is having.

He is at least deserving of a 1 year contract for next season. Lets evaluate him, and if he does repeat his performance, then we can consider signing him long term. I agree that he has to prove that he can put up those numbers consistently. The guy might just be a late bloomer though, and I hope he does keep it up. Even if this year was a fluke and he does half as well next season, his arm and the good job he's done with the pitchers is worth keeping him around, unless we find a better replacement (whether via FA or in the farm system). Though that will be kinda hard to do.

He won't be a free agent until after 2008 by my count so there's no need to make a long term commitment to him before that. Let's go year by year, and keep an eye out for a replacement if you can find an affordable one who offers as much and offers more than just an arm and power.

He won't be a free agent until after 2008 by my count so there's no need to make a long term commitment to him before that. Let's go year by year, and keep an eye out for a replacement if you can find an affordable one who offers as much and offers more than just an arm and power.

Wait wasnt Olivo signed to a one year deal before the season, they signed him for two years?

Miguel Olivo c

1 year/$0.7M (2006)

signed as a free agent 12/05 after being non-tendered

1 year/$0.4M (2005)

1 year/$0.32M (2004), re-signed 3 /04

1 year/$0.3M (2003) 3 /04

ML service: 2.171

-From http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005_01_1...ts_archive.html

Olivo is real solid.

He's been so solid that Spike hasnt even tried to bad mouth him lately.

No long term deals (nothing above 2 years).

He does everything great except he has trouble catching the ball sometimes.

You gotta love the power and the cannon of an arm. And he always gives 110%.

He's not eligible to declare free agency until after 2009*. He can be released on the free agent market by his team at any time. We control his rights, but he's now arbitration eligible.

* 2.171 doesn't mean 2 years and 171/1000th of a year. It means 2 years and 171 days. A MLB service year is 172 days. A MLB season is 183 days long so theoretically Olivo can pick up that extra day and become eligible for free agency with 6 years and some change of service time after 2008. But players can only earn 172 of service time per year (source: http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2006/...taxes_and_1.php ) so he'll be stuck waiting until after 2009 when he'll have nearly 7 years (6 years and 171 days) of service time. His is a very interesting case.

Again, there's no need to give him a contract extension. He's arbitratiuon eligible and under the Marlins until for 2-3 years.

I'd rather the Marlins sign him to a extension for 2 or 3 years at around $2 million per year rather than going year by year at this point. But with the Marlins MO, they probably will go the year-by-year route. I just think this will be cheaper in the end. I feel that this season is no fluke.

My personal opinion is that this year is a fluke and we should dump him as quick as possible. It's a career year, nothing more. He still plays well below average defense, and will be lucky to hit .200 next year. We offer him arbitration and he gets around $3 mil...well, our team is our $3 mil with one of the worst catchers in the league out there.

He sucks more and more the more teams see him, he strikes out what...around 4 times as much as he walks. Doesnt even play adequete defense.

Get rid of this loser.

By comparing his stats to the teams that have seen him the most(NL east) to the rest of the NL. And by comparing how he hit against the NL West last year(who saw him most) vs the rest of the NL.

And it's pretty much a forgone conslusion that his defense is piss poor.

Settle down. All I said is Olivo wont be worth whatever he gets. Defensive problems alone limit his effectiveness(makes Piazza look like an elite catcher with the glove).

Just that, Olivo vs the NL east(who he has seen for over a 1/3rd of his at bats) this year is hitting at least 20 points lower in every catagory than vs the rest of the league.

We should look elsewhere and say goodbye to Olivo as fast as possible.

Settle down. All I said is Olivo wont be worth whatever he gets. Defensive problems alone limit his effectiveness(makes Piazza look like an elite catcher with the glove).

Just that, Olivo vs the NL east(who he has seen for over a 1/3rd of his at bats) this year is hitting at least 20 points lower in every catagory than vs the rest of the league.

We should look elsewhere and say goodbye to Olivo as fast as possible.

Name a catcher we can get next year who is leaps and bounds better that won't cost as much.

A catcher with good defense and who can hit .250 for league minimum? Probably alot of them. The difference is, Olivo will be lucky to hit .250(my guess...Olivo hits in the .195-220 range next year), plays horrendous defense, and will make around $3 million.

Tell you what...a wager, first person to take me up on it...if Olivo hits better than .220 next year, I'll give you $50...wether he's a Marlin or not.

Any takers?