Marlins, Cabrera fail to work out deal

Lane1974

It's really in Cabrera's best interest to seek arbitration. There's very little precedent for a player of his caliber, and the Marlins are more than likely low-balling with their offer. Going before the arbitrator sets his price not only this year, but gives him definitive numbers to negotiate with in the upcoming years.

Arbitration is not that big a deal as everyone wants to think it is. This post is probably the closest to the truth. Last numbers I heard the Marlins were offering was in the $5.5 mil range (Marlins web site guess). Miggy's agent probably wants something closer to DTrains contract, maybe just a tad over. He will probably get that but I doubt very much he is asking $8-9 mil. Somehow a thread about him heading into arbitration has turned into him being traded and a name calling free for all against Loria. Over-reaction is too mild a term for that. Relax people.

It's really in Cabrera's best interest to seek arbitration. There's very little precedent for a player of his caliber, and the Marlins are more than likely low-balling with their offer. Going before the arbitrator sets his price not only this year, but gives him definitive numbers to negotiate with in the upcoming years.

Arbitration is not that big a deal as everyone wants to think it is. This post is probably the closest to the truth. Last numbers I heard the Marlins were offering was in the $5.5 mil range (Marlins web site guess). Miggy's agent probably wants something closer to DTrains contract, maybe just a tad over. He will probably get that but I doubt very much he is asking $8-9 mil. Somehow a thread about him heading into arbitration has turned into him being traded and a name calling free for all against Loria. Over-reaction is too mild a term for that. Relax people.

I don't want to elaborate because I was told this in confidence, but the onus on this one certainly seems to be on the Marlins playing hardball.

I don't want to elaborate because I was told this in confidence, but the onus on this one certainly seems to be on the Marlins playing hardball.

Maybe they want to keep Miggy's salary relatively low (4.5-5 millionish) because that will allow them to pay him less in the next 2 arbitration years?

About the price offered...

The Marlins have offered Miguel Cabrera the same one-year, $6.45 million contract that Dontrelle Willis accepted on Monday.

Cabrera appears set to set a record for a first-time arbitration-eligible player and might not want to settle early, though the Marlins' offer is pretty fair. Cabrera won't be eligible for free agency until after 2009.

Source: Miami Herald

I don't think anybody, much less everyone, has said that arbitration itself is a big deal. I just don't like the fact that we failed to come to terms with Cabrera. And in the particular situation that the Marlins find themselves in, the implications and uncertainty can not be avoided or laughed at, unless you're a hopeless optimist or the village idiot. They deserve a healthy debate.

I'd love to have Cabs a Marlin forever, but realistically, even with a new stadium, he's a luxury that we can't afford. At least until this market proves itself and the team has a new stadium and a 25K season ticket holder base. In the long run, as long as keeps putting up his current numbers, Cabrera is a 25-35 Million per year player.

this team gets a stadium and doesnt find a way to sign cabrera long term and we are the stupidest franchise in the history of baseball.

I'd love to have Cabs a Marlin forever, but realistically, even with a new stadium, he's a luxury that we can't afford. At least until this market proves itself and the team has a new stadium and a 25K season ticket holder base. In the long run, as long as keeps putting up his current numbers, Cabrera is a 25-35 Million per year player.

this team gets a stadium and doesnt find a way to sign cabrera long term and we are the stupidest franchise in the history of baseball.

I think that honor is forever reserved to the Red Sox for selling Babe Ruth to finance a Broadway play. My statement did have the extra addendum of adding a season ticket base of 25K to a new stadium. But I do think that the present ownership is a disgrace to the game, no matter what happens.

This is not good news. Without knowing the figures, I don't think it's fair to call the Marlins cheap, or to call Cabrera greedy. I think Cabrera will win his arbitration hearing, if say his number is 8-9 million, and the Marlins are at 6 Million.

I don't like the uncertainty. Signing Boone to back up third base, the last place we need any help, doesn't really make sense. It worries me that the Marlins may have a plan to trade Cabs should the arbitration figure come in too high for them, which it likely will.

if that's the case, Loria has no business owning a MLB team. God I'm starting to hate this ownership.

Starting to hate this ownership? Most of us haven't been able to stand it for quite some time.

Wow. Some of you guys are a little sad here - I have to admit.

So he goes to arbitration. BFD. The heights to which some of you were able to extrapolate this almost non-story almost scares me.

ding ding ding ding...what a doomsday thread for something that happens ALL THE TIME...this ownership is alot of things, but stupid isnt one of them...i think you will see cabs in teal til he is grey...or close enough

They should have split the difference.

============

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Agno...p&type=lgns

Cabrera, eligible for arbitration for the first time, asked for a raise from $472,000 to $7.4 million and was offered $6.7 million by the Marlins. The three-time All-Star hit .339 with 26 homers and 114 RBIs last year, his third straight season with more than 110 RBIs.

When you are that close and you can't make a deal it's almost always because one party doesn't want to make a deal for reasons unrelated to the deal itself.

My money's on Cabrera's new team of advisors wanting to prove they are worth what he's paying them, and frankly I don't blame them. If I had half of baseball watching me I'd do the same thing. They've probably already gotten him a half million dollars over what his previous representation would have.

But this is a cakewalk. I bet both sides were laughing when they left the negotiating table. The only question is who bought the cognac. No one loses regardless of what the arbitrator says.

Wow. Some of you guys are a little sad here - I have to admit.

So he goes to arbitration. BFD. The heights to which some of you were able to extrapolate this almost non-story almost scares me.

Completely agree. He has literally no downside to go to arb., and he may be rewarded with a huge number (for his age and years in the majors, his numbers stand alone).

Let's save the sky is falling stuff for next year.

I don't like the uncertainty. Signing Boone to back up third base, the last place we need any help, doesn't really make sense. It worries me that the Marlins may have a plan to trade Cabs should the arbitration figure come in too high for them, which it likely will.

1. What the Marlins expect Cabrera to earn through negotiation or arbitration is likely not to be a huge difference from what he will. An arbitrator selects between one of two figures and hears the arguments for both. After months of negotiation, it's hard for one side to surprise the other at the arbitration hearing.

2. Any plan that may exist presently, in contingency or developed in the future will surely be one that is intended to help the Marlins. Cabrera, while an irreplaceable once in a generation find, will not be given up for peanuts. Frankly they would be stupid, especially in their precarious financial position and franchise uncertainty, not to have contingency plans. Any business would.

This is not good news. Without knowing the figures, I don't think it's fair to call the Marlins cheap, or to call Cabrera greedy. I think Cabrera will win his arbitration hearing, if say his number is 8-9 million, and the Marlins are at 6 Million.

I really don't see that happening.

I think this has more to do with Cabrera wanting his value to be set by an objective third party. With the outlandish contracts this season, and Cabrera's near unprecedented production up to this point of his career, he stands to set the bar for arbitration cases in the near future. Similar to a player who wants to go out and test the free agent market, Cabrera wants to see what he is worth. Part of it has to do with ego I'm sure, and part of it has to do with his new representation wanting to show the Marlins that they mean business when the time comes to actually negotiate a contract.

Yeah, I'd say trading Cabrera is outlandish overreaction.

I agree that to a reasonable organization it would be an outlandish overreaction, but since when has Loria & Co. been reasonable?

People who do weird things that you disagree with aren't necessarily unreasonable. They merely have their own reasons that you don't understand or want to understand.

When you are that close and you can't make a deal it's almost always because one party doesn't want to make a deal for reasons unrelated to the deal itself.

My money's on Cabrera's new team of advisors wanting to prove they are worth what he's paying them, and frankly I don't blame them. If I had half of baseball watching me I'd do the same thing. They've probably already gotten him a half million dollars over what his previous representation would have.

But this is a cakewalk. I bet both sides were laughing when they left the negotiating table. The only question is who bought the cognac. No one loses regardless of what the arbitrator says.

Trust me, Cabrera's representatives left confused for certain, in some ways, dumbfounded.

Trust me, Cabrera's representatives left confused for certain, in some ways, dumbfounded.

Uh huh

The FO apologists step in. It's hard to tell with you RFerry, as you cover all bases, but I think you agree with me or have no logical onpoint rebut. You are avoiding the issue of not only this year, but the next 3 years with Cabs. That's obviously more signifigant than just this year. Will Loria commit to a series of 3 1 year contracts without a stadium deal in place. I agree that contingency plans have been made. Marlins2003...I don't agree it's a cakewalk and both sides went away smiling from the situation and the cognac.

If the ESPN story is to believed, and this could have been settled at 7 Million or so, than it's a petty cheap blunder by the Marlins FO. One that hurts the team. At this point, if the Marlins fail to negotiate as they have promised, than Cabs can submit a 9-11 million figure and win by default. For those that don't understand arbitration, it's not a matter of splitting the baby at this point. It's one or the other. And IMO if the Marlins come in at 6.5M and Cabs comes in at 10M, every arbitrator will choose the Cabs figure. And that leads to 15M in 2008 and 22M in 2009. Instead of settling at 7, 11, and 15. That's 14 million that could go to other areas the Marlins need to address.

The FO apologists step in. It's hard to tell with you RFerry, as you cover all bases, but I think you agree with me or have no logical onpoint rebut. You are avoiding the issue of not only this year, but the next 3 years with Cabs. That's obviously more signifigant than just this year. Will Loria commit to a series of 3 1 year contracts without a stadium deal in place. I agree that contingency plans have been made. Marlins2003...I don't agree it's a cakewalk and both sides went away smiling from the situation and the cognac.

If the ESPN story is to believed, and this could have been settled at 7 Million or so, than it's a petty cheap blunder by the Marlins FO. One that hurts the team. At this point, if the Marlins fail to negotiate as they have promised, than Cabs can submit a 9-11 million figure and win by default. For those that don't understand arbitration, it's not a matter of splitting the baby at this point. It's one or the other. And IMO if the Marlins come in at 6.5M and Cabs comes in at 10M, every arbitrator will choose the Cabs figure. And that leads to 15M in 2008 and 22M in 2009. Instead of settling at 7, 11, and 15. That's 14 million that could go to other areas the Marlins need to address.

No, Miggy's going to arby asking for $7.4.

Well *MB*, this paranoia that they brought Boone in so they could trade Cabrera is so beyond the pale...I mean really how could you think that.

And *MVP* in your book anyone who isn't a rabid hater is I suppose an apologist. The bottom-line is no one loses here not when they are $700,000 apart and the low number is already higher than anyone thought in the first place. You don't even have a basic understanding of what happened today, that's obvious.

So you understand and based on what's been reported the two sides exchanged numbers today. Exchanging numbers is an intregal part of the arbitration process.

Those numbers are now frozen, they CAN'T change. The only thing that could change those numbers is if they settle before arbitration. Cabrera cannot now come in at $10 million, it doesn't work that way. But why not let hate get in the way of the facts? You really have no fundamental understanding of how this process works and you're letting your mind play tricks on you.

The worst case scenario is the Marlins pay $7.4 million. Not a penny more.

As I said....IF the ESPN story can be believed.

The FO has done some things, good and bad, in the last year. It sort of defies logic that the ESPN story is true and these numbers are the ones presented and now fixed. If so, why wouldn't the Marlins have settled at 7 Million and given in to Cabs relatively minor symbol of his ability and respect.

The FO has done some things, good and bad, in the last year. It sort of defies logic that the ESPN story is true and these numbers are the ones presented and now fixed. If so, why wouldn't the Marlins have settled at 7 Million and given in to Cabs relatively minor symbol of his ability and respect.

My guess is because Cabrera's side refused to take a penny less, at least for the moment.

My guess is because Cabrera's side refused to take a penny less, at least for the moment.

Could be.

.Care to go double or nothing on my thought of the Stadium/Cabrera connection?