Fish TV Schedule May Be Affected by Bonds

I had been hearing about this rumor for a while now....and while Channel 7 in Miami would cringe at seeing its late newscasts killed by FOX Sports fiat, it appears FOX may do it. The Fish play the Gnats at AT&T Park in San Fran on July 27th to the 29th. If Barry Bonds has tied the record at any point in that series, FOX Sports has decided it may indeed air the game. Knowing the Marlins-Bonds history, it would only be right for him to hit the big one off us. :lol

Just a heads up to folks that the Fish may be on national television instead of FSN Florida for this series in part if the historical situation comes up.

TV battles over Bonds' historic homer

By BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

When Barry Bonds likely breaks Hank Aaron's home run record in the next few weeks, the milestone will become one of the most-replayed moments in TV sports history. And though ESPN or Fox would obviously like to show it live, the issue was still being negotiated with Major League Baseball on Thursday.

Bonds entered Thursday with 751 home runs, four short of equaling Aaron's record.

Under terms of its contract, ESPN can break into programming and show Bonds' at-bats, live, only when the network is carrying baseball programming at the time -- either games or Baseball Tonight. ESPN hopes it can break into any programming to show Bonds' at-bats live when he gets to 754 and 755, but that has not been resolved.

Meanwhile, Fox has rights to airs Bonds' at-bats live during its baseball window on Saturday afternoons. But Fox is exploring the possibility of adding a weeknight Giants game once Bonds ties the record.

Fox did just that in 1998 to show a Cardinals game in which Mark McGwire broke the single-season home run record. Fox got lucky that night because McGwire homered. Fox isn't keen on breaking into non-sports shows to air Bonds at-bats.

''If the game is being played in San Francisco, first pitch is 10:05, 10:10 East Coast time, and the East Coast Fox affiliates run news at 10 p.m.,'' Fox Sports president Ed Goren noted. ``There are issues we would have to work around [to air a weeknight Giants game]. Do we have an interest? Absolutely.''

FSN Florida will carry the Marlins at Giants series July 27-29.

i wouldnt mind it being against us...but it might sting Bonds more to have him do it in the orange pithole known as Dolphins Stadium...if it is against us, chances are its Pinto who gives it up...or Id like to see him hit one off Kevin Gregg to the Bermuda triangle in deep center and Amezaga makes a running catch to end the game in the ninth and ESPN goes "damn, nice catch, whos that center fielder? and whos the closer?"

I think it would be awesome if he got in Joe Robbie Stadium. The greatest baseball player ever beating the most important record in baseball in South Florida and JRS being apart of history? Sign me up.

Yea, I want to be there too. Although, I don't think he's the greatest baseball player ever. ;)

I would love to be at the game in which the record is broken. Just a chance to catch that ball would be awesome. My take is let the Marlins be the team be does it against. It puts our boys in the record books for all time. Think about it, the Dodgers got a lot of their popularity from being the team the Yankees beat many times in the World Series. Redsox popularity arose from being the Yanks all time whippin boys until 2004. The Cubs... I need not even get into this one if you know what I mean.

If it gets the Marlins on national television for a day or two, I'll take it! The best case scenario in that series is if Bonds has the record tied, and the Marlins don't give up the record breaking homer to Barry and instead beat the snot of Barry and the Giants on national television.

I think it would be awesome if he got in Joe Robbie Stadium. The greatest baseball player ever beating the most important record in baseball in South Florida and JRS being apart of history? Sign me up.

It won't be at Joe Robbie Stadium. The games on July 27-29 are in San Fran, like CapeFish said. We don't play the Giants here until August 17, and the record will most likely be broken by then.

God, I hope he doesn't get it against us. I don't know, I've had this feeling for like a month now he would not only get it off us, but it would be off our personal savior, Justin Miller.

Bah, maybe I'm just being insane.

I hope it is against the marlins. Atleast we will be in some of the highlight clips they show for years to come.

I hope it's in San Fran

Although I wouldnt mind being at DS when he does it, I agree with you.

Let him do it in San Fran.

It'd be sorta bad for baseball if Barry did it on the road and got booed. He needs to do in San Fran, in front of the only fans who actually like him.

I hope it's in San Fran

It'd be sorta bad for baseball if Barry did it on the road and got booed. He needs to do in San Fran, in front of the only fans who actually like him.

He'll get booed before he hits it, but he'll get a standing O after it

Guest Festa

I hope it's in San Fran

He'll get booed before he hits it, but he'll get a standing O after it

Uh............no.

Barry is the most loathed person in professional sports for a multitude of reasons. And the one person its almost universally agreed upon that people DONT want to break the record.

If he gets a standing O anywhere outside of the Bay Area I will eat my shoes that I have been wearing 5 years without socks.