Fredi's comments about our defense

This is from the Sun-Sentinel:

General Manager Admin Beinfest's credo is winning with pitching and defense. The latter component has left something to be desired. The Marlins have a National League-low .978 fielding percentage and have committed five more errors (73) than the second-worst club (Dodgers). Manager Fredi Gonzalez has pointed out that last season's error total was similar, but the Marlins are on pace to commit a franchise record 133 errors and allow 10 more unearned runs than any other Marlins club.

Comments like that really bother me. I don't see what good can come from them. Last year the team defense was horrible in the first half and improved in the 2nd half but this year we've regressed to the point where we're worse than the '06 first half level. That's not a good thing.

I don't know where to get the '06 errors by half but looking at unearned runs these are the numbers:

'06 1st half - 45 UR in 86 games (NL average: 36) - 25% over the average

'06 2nd half - 31 UR in 76 games (NL average: 28) - 11% over the average

'07 1st half - 54 UR in 89 games (NL average: 31) - 74% over the average

That's not a good trend.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...,0,706373.story

The 2007 defense is sickening. It really makes me ill.

Not sure why Fredi would stoop to a deflection comment such as the one you bolded. I read that too today in the paper.

You can't do a whole lot to prevent injuries to pitchers but you can improve on team defense. I realize we lost a HUGE piece in Perry Hill but Fredi needs to start crackin the whip with these guys. And if you have a night when you can't catch a routine fly ball then maybe you need to sit the next game out. Its not like this 'our' year anyway.

the errors of laziness and fundamental breakdowns get me. no way hermeda should drop a fly ball or hanley lolligag a routine groundout and throw the ball in the dirt. that's laziness and poor fundamentals. to me, that's lack of either leadership or lack of emphasis on practice and fundamentals; both of which fredi is solely responsible.

the errors of laziness and fundamental breakdowns get me. no way hermeda should drop a fly ball or hanley lolligag a routine groundout and throw the ball in the dirt. that's laziness and poor fundamentals. to me, that's lack of either leadership or lack of emphasis on practice and fundamentals; both of which fredi is solely responsible.

It's a lack of attention to detail, that's Fredi's area of responsibility

I should note that the dodgers are 2nd in errors. This has dragged them down to a 49-40 record and a tie for the most wins in the NL.

The Dodgers arent built on defense. They're built on great starting pitching and a potent offense. Ask Dodger fans where they might be right now if not for all that awful defense.

They would tell you right around 14 games over .500

I should note that the dodgers are 2nd in errors. This has dragged them down to a 49-40 record and a tie for the most wins in the NL.

and?

Just pointing out that our 5 extra errors is obviously the reason we have 7 less wings than them. And the Dodgers are just another example of how a team that plays bad defense can never have a .500 record, as numerous posters have said on this board.

Or maybe, it's that both teams have a bunch of starts who pitch to contact, which is bound to lead to more errors. The Dodgers just have better overall pitchers, so they can make up for it. We do not have great pitching, which is why the errors hurt more. But to say (again, like many have) that the errors have cost us more games than the pitching is flatout ridiculous.

So the average Dodgers fan thinks that if they had even average defense they'd be the best team in baseball? Dodgers fans are dumb.

Our team isn't built on defense, either, obviously. It's built on starting pitchers who have all been injured at one point or another. That's 90% of the reason we are 7 games under.

and?

Just pointing out that our 5 extra errors is obviously the reason we have 7 less wings than them. And the Dodgers are just another example of how a team that plays bad defense can never have a .500 record, as numerous posters have said on this board.

Or maybe, it's that both teams have a bunch of starts who pitch to contact, which is bound to lead to more errors. The Dodgers just have better overall pitchers, so they can make up for it. We do not have great pitching, which is why the errors hurt more. But to say (again, like many have) that the errors have cost us more games than the pitching is flatout ridiculous.

So the average Dodgers fan thinks that if they had even average defense they'd be the best team in baseball? Dodgers fans are dumb.

Our team isn't built on defense, either, obviously. It's built on starting pitchers who have all been injured at one point or another. That's 90% of the reason we are 7 games under.

Trust me, the bad defense will come back to haunt the Dodgers at some point, that along with needing another bat will keep them out of a pennant.

Having pitchers that pitch to contact as an excuse for our horrible defense is hilarious. There is a difference between simply making mistakes and being boneheaded.

I hope Im not getting lumped into the group that believes errors cost us more games than pitching. Cause its far from the truth.

But for the record, the way you are presenting your argument, your almost making it sound like errors have NO impact on the outcome of baseball games.

How many times does an error lead to a pitcher losing his composure and then subsequently getting off track? (See Scott Olsen)

Errors are more than just a number in a box score.

I hope Im not getting lumped into the group that believes errors cost us more games than pitching. Cause its far from the truth.

But for the record, the way you are presenting your argument, your almost making it sound like errors have NO impact on the outcome of baseball games.

How many times does an error lead to a pitcher losing his composure and then subsequently getting off track? (See Scott Olsen)

Errors are more than just a number in a box score.

I agree they may get a pitcher off track, but really, thats the pitcher's fault. He is a professional athlete being paid a ridiculous sum of money to play a game every 5 days. He should be able to keep himself in the game. And most can.

Errors have some impact on the outcome, but not nearly as much as people are making it out to be. The fact of the matter is our pitchers allow too many balls in play, and allow way (way) too many walks, which leads to way too many runs being scored. If they could walk maybe 15% less and k 5% this team would be immeasurably better, regardless of our defensive woes.

Why, please tell me, would you have a defensive replacement come into the game at 1st base and then, with the bases loaded and two outs (and two strikes) not have him waaaaaaaay off the bag and practically on the outfield grass?

For all intents and purposes, Wood was holding the runner with 2 outs and the bases loaded, and that's just dumb.