Selig in town

Stag5

Selig in S. Fla. to jump-start ballpark talks

Posted on Tue, Aug. 28, 2007Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig and MLB president Bob DuPuy were in South Florida on Tuesday to try to push ahead the plans for a new Marlins ballpark.

Selig, DuPuy and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria were to meet with Miami and Miami-Dade County officials Tuesday afternoon.

With the University of Miami announcing it was moving to Dolphin Stadium in 2008, recent talks have focused on the Orange Bowl site. A retractable-roof stadium is expected to cost at least $500 million.

The Marlins and Major League Baseball prefer a downtown Miami site, but Miami-Dade Manager George Burgess said the Orange Bowl site would be less costly and less complicated.

This marks Selig's first visit to South Florida to try to resolve the stadium issue.

Selig is expected to hold a 5 p.m. news conference to discuss the Marlins' future.

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig and MLB president Bob DuPuy were in South Florida on Tuesday to try to push ahead the plans for a new Marlins ballpark.

Selig, DuPuy and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria were to meet with Miami and Miami-Dade County officials Tuesday afternoon.

With the University of Miami announcing it was moving to Dolphin Stadium in 2008, recent talks have focused on the Orange Bowl site. A retractable-roof stadium is expected to cost at least $500 million.

The Marlins and Major League Baseball prefer a downtown Miami site, but Miami-Dade Manager George Burgess said the Orange Bowl site would be less costly and less complicated.

This marks Selig's first visit to South Florida to try to resolve the stadium issue.

Selig is expected to hold a 5 p.m. news conference to discuss the Marlins' future.

Interesting.... you think that press conference will be televised?

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

The press conference makes me a little nervous.

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

Me too...

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

Me too...

Third. I just don't trust Selig, Loria, David Samson and Miami Dade politicians to make this happen. That is the perfect storm combo of pure suckiness.

Guest iFesta

And you thought this season couldn't get any worse.

I doubt this is anything bad. It will probably be a little public circle jerk where a few egos are stroked.

FSN Fla might carry it IMO just based on what they've done in the past regarding these types of 'big' announcements.

BY BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

Me too...

Third. I just don't trust Selig, Loria, David Samson and Miami Dade politicians to make this happen. That is the perfect storm combo of pure suckiness.

I agree with you, this press conf. is a bit scary to me as well... However, the funny this is out of all the ppl you mention I think Selig is the guy you can trust the most here.. Loria/Samson are for some reason being picky as hell now... First they wanted the OB now its downtown or nothing for them??? WTF beggers can be choosy! Juts build the f***ing thing... Another thing is the Miami Dade officials are pure morons! You can never trust them... So in all I hope Selig lays down the law or forces this Loria out of town (this coming from a person that has backed Loria, the whole front office is starting to piss me off!)

I may be wrong, but I think this press conference could be a good thing. If all parties involved met today, why would Selig come out and make a negative statement. That would only set negotiations back further. It'll probably be the typical "we had a good meeting and will continue to talk" type of message we are all tired of around here.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. The push for downtown was more of an MLB than a Marlins thing (at least early on). So maybe MLB is backing off of that, and perhaps moving to OB (if the deal is done right) will not cause the Marlins to decrease their contribution.

One other thing under discussion has been the creation of a "G3"-type fund like the NFL has to float low interest loans to teams in need of stadia. Note this is a loan, not MLB kicking in cash per se. The loans would have future media revenues (which are massive and will continue to be massive in the foreseeable future) as collateral. This could help to enable the deal. I'm not sure if MLB is ready to roll out their version of a G3 fund, but I know it's under discussion.

For your guys' sake, I hope the meeting today goes well.

I'm not too happy about Selig's visit. I am going to reserve opining until he speaks in about 30 minutes.....but all day I just feel like we may hear a threat made by him today.

Maybe not, maybe he will announce an agreement in principle is closer than ever.....but I don't feel Bud Selig is the man to close this deal.