Miami OK's development, stadium plan

prinmemito

In a groundbreaking, far-reaching vote, Miami city commissioners Thursday approved a massive city-county public works plan -- clearing the way for a downtown Miami port tunnel, a Florida Marlins stadium at the former site of the Orange Bowl and other large-scale projects.

The so-called ''global'' agreement still must be approved by Miami-Dade county commissioners, but Thursday's vote meant it had cleared a significant hurdle.

City commissioners voted 4-1 in favor of the agreement, with Commissioner Tom?s Regalado the lone ''no'' vote.

''I'm obviously very happy. I think this is a very big day for our city,'' said Mayor Manny Diaz.

Marlins officials expressed support for the plan.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_n...ory/343550.html

Herald article was updated with comments from David Samson...

"Moments after Miami commissioners voted Thursday to move forward with one of the most ambitious public works projects in city history, Florida Marlins President David Samson said the organization has never been closer to having a permanent home.

Samson said the Marlins support the plan to build a new stadium at the former Orange Bowl site -- including coming up with $155 million. Following the city's vote Thursday, Miami-Dade Commissioners will take up the issue next week.

''This is one of the two days we've been waiting for,'' Samson said.

Without ruling out the possibility of seeking investors to help with financing, Samson said the Marlins are capable of coming up with $155 million -- its share of the proposed $525 million stadium.

''When we negotiate something we have to be able to stand behind it,'' Samson said in the lobby of Miami City Hall. ''I think over the past 13 years and three ownership groups, this is certainly the closest,'' the team has been to having its own stadium."

Our day is coming!! (I hope)

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_n...ory/343550.html

Somebody help me here.

In the past, was it the City who gave problems approving the stadium deal or was it the County?

B/c if it was the City who gave problems in the past, then we are in good shape come Tuesday.

If it was the County, then we are gonna have problems come Tuesday.

Somebody help me here.

In the past, was it the City who gave problems approving the stadium deal or was it the County?

B/c if it was the City who gave problems in the past, then we are in good shape come Tuesday.

Miami Dade county has been the better of the two parties but I feel the biggest issues here have been ownership and the state.

Somebody help me here.

Miami Dade county has been the better of the two parties but I feel the biggest issues here have been ownership and the state.

The Marlins have already agreed, the state is not in the equation, the city has approved, so we're only dealing with the County now. Let's hope the County agrees.

Without a doubt the City of Miami has been the biggest obstacle to cementing a deal by trying at every turn to turn the project into a pork barrel for their owners, er political contributors.

The County on the otherhand, throughout the process has been the Marlins closest partner, never wavering, always pushing the ball forward and never showing the slightest negativity no matter how bad things got.

The whole thing reversed when Joe Ariolla was run out of the city manager's office and Pete Hernandez, former assistant county manager became the City Manager in Miami. If anything that was the changing point for the whole deal.

Without a doubt the City of Miami has been the biggest obstacle to cementing a deal by trying at every turn to turn the project into a pork barrel for their owners, er political contributors.

The County on the otherhand, throughout the process has been the Marlins closest partner, never wavering, always pushing the ball forward and never showing the slightest negativity no matter how bad things got.

The whole thing reversed when Joe Ariolla was run out of the city manager's office and Pete Hernandez, former assistant county manager became the City Manager in Miami. If anything that was the changing point for the whole deal.

what does that mean?

what does that mean?

He's basically saying the toughest obstacle historically for a Marlins stadium has been overcome because of a change in personnel (Arriola is gone, Pete Hernandez is in). Things are looking good, but we don't know what will happen with the County Commission (they've been supportive so far, but you never know).

what does that mean?

George Burgess (County Manager) and his former deputy Pete Hernandez (now City Manager) finally got this bitch close to being done.

Ariolla was run out and the City hired Pete Hernandez, Assistant County Manager, to do the job right.

So now it's up to the County Commission to approve the ballpark plan and for the Marlins to sign the lease with cash commitments in hand.

Somebody help me here.

The Marlins have already agreed, the state is not in the equation, the city has approved, so we're only dealing with the County now. Let's hope the County agrees.

Im talking about the last 7-10 years not today. I wouldnt be surprised to see the city, county and team still try and get the state rebate.

Somebody help me here.

Im talking about the last 7-10 years not today. I wouldnt be surprised to see the city, county and team still try and get the state rebate.

I agree with you I would be suprised once a deal is in place if they dont get the state rebate every other team has it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.