Mark Prior on the Marlins radar?

Ramp

Meh, he'll only be healthy for five minutes.

nah, he will be fine... but we will only sign him to a one year deal, he will have a successfull comeback, and then sign a real contract with a contender (pudge, todd jones, armando benitez...). we have all seen this before.

We've seen it before but we can't keep banking on it happening all the time just like we can't keep thinking the marlins can keep tearing down championship rosters and expect to build another every few years.

Except the article states, "If an interested suitor is willing to overpay for a year's worth of Prior, it might be tempting enough for him to look beyond California. " Now, I am all for paying fair value for a good free agent, but to "overpay" for a risk is not what we do and we shouldn't do.

I read this and I said to myself, "Isn't that exactly the same thing people were saying in 2003 when the Marlins signed Pudge??"

I'm not saying one is the same as the other, or there are any parallels to be drawn but it did seem eeirly familiar. :mis2

Dayum. Could you imagine!! We sign him, he gets healthy, balls people up, then we ship him off for some good prospects. Like the poster above me said, we cant lose anything if we sign him to a sub 750K contract, so what the fudge, DO IT!

Yeah, that's not going to happen. He's looking for considerably more than that and, considering the number of teams reported to be in the hunt, he'll get it.

anyone look at the prior stats in 2006

he started 9 games and only kept the other team to 4 or less runs 4 times.

i couldn't find any indication he's pitched in game situations since spring training 2007 where he wasnt effective.

unless its a minor league contract which it won't be i would pass the guy is a high injury risk and he hasnt been effective in the past 2 years in the small amount of time he has been healthy

It's hard to pitch well when you have shoulder tendinitis.

I have faith in Dr Andrews (well, kinda, compared to most other doctors) and 2007 was the first time he met with Andrews, who found structural damage that the cubs previously didn't know about. I think he'll be fine in 2007

I have faith in Dr Andrews (well, kinda, compared to most other doctors) and 2007 was the first time he met with Andrews, who found structural damage that the cubs previously didn't know about. I think he'll be fine in 2007

by that I am sure you mean 2008?

but still a high injury risk given a guaranteed contract for over $1 million he would be the second highest paid pitcher behind gregg if he is still here

but still a high injury risk given a guaranteed contract for over $1 million he would be the second highest paid pitcher behind gregg if he is still here

Baseball's payroll does not revolve around the Marlins payroll. Prior is worth more than a million even if he is on the shelf. The upside here is that if he can become less of a liability health wise he can easily become our number one starter, and make a nice pairing with soon to be ace Andrew Miller. Prior has wicked stuff, injuries have plagued him true, but he is worth a shot. What we can potentially lose is alot less than what we can gain from this, it makes perfect sense! Let's try and get a two year deal done even though the front office is known best for extending only lucrative one year deals.

Although I doubt we could sign him for $750K like a few people mentioned, I would not be opposed to giving Prior a shot if the price is right. Despite all his injuries he is a solid pitcher and with a bit of luck he could return to being a solid starter. In all honestly, we don't have a whole lot to lose.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.