Cantu Signs with FISH

The_Punisher

MIAMI -- Replacing the raw power of Miguel Cabrera will be a difficult task for the Marlins. So rather than relying solely on one new third-base candidate to do so, the job will be battled for by a couple of players.

Jorge Cantu is joining the list.

MLB.com has learned from a Major League Baseball Players Association source that the Marlins reached agreement on Thursday with Cantu on a one-year contract worth $500,000, plus incentives that could tack on another $100,000 based on plate appearances.

Shortly after the Marlins traded Cabrera to the Tigers last month at the Winter Meetings, Cantu was a name high on Florida's list to be a possible replacement at third base.

The deal is expected to be announced as early as Friday.

On Thursday morning, Cantu's agent, Steve Canter, confirmed that talks were progressing with the Marlins.

"Things have been moving along pretty well," Canter said Thursday morning. "There is a strong possibility that things are going to work out over there."

Cantu finished up the 2007 season with the Reds, where he batted .298 in 27 games. He turns 26 on Jan. 30.

The addition of Cantu comes shortly after the Marlins signed Jose Castillo to a one-year, $650,000 contract, which also includes incentives based on plate appearances, plus some other performance-related bonuses.

Formerly with the Pirates, Castillo signed with Florida on Dec. 24.

The Marlins will throw the third-base competition open to both Cantu and Castillo, and the two may end up splitting the position depending on matchups. Cantu also can play several other infield positions, as he saw action at first base and second base in 2007.

Cantu broke in with Tampa Bay in 2004, and his best season was 2005, when he batted .286 with 28 home runs and 117 RBIs.

The Marlins' search for third-base help began in early December, when Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis were traded to the Tigers for six players.

Cantu played for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic in 2006, where he was a teammate of Marlins infielder Alfredo Amezaga, who also promises to see action at third base.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

SOURCE/MLB.COM

So now we have one spot left on the 25 man. Wonder if they'll go for a backup OF or another infielder. Maybe just let Wood/Carrol/Andino/De Aza/invites battle it out.

It's too early to say definitely who is going to be opening with the team because a lot can happen between now and then. We can get an injury to one of our top players or Maybin can tank in ST, in which case I seriously hope the Marlins don't rush him.

So now we have one spot left on the 25 man. Wonder if they'll go for a backup OF or another infielder. Maybe just let Wood/Carrol/Andino/De Aza/invites battle it out.

Dude are you not jumping the gun a bit? There can still be trades in the works, other signings, let alone not to mention injuries. Kinda hard to even think of 25 man roster right now

I'm a little excited about the Cantu signing. Altough 2005 might have been a fluke, it is still some indication of what he might be capable of (unless he was on performance enhancing drugs at the time).

The ones that make you stronger? Or the ones that heal your body quicker? IMO neither of those improve your ability to hit the ball.... so he has shown he CAN do that. If you're suggesting he took HGH then and has stopped now, I guess he may be more of an injury liability now and not get in his at-bats. But, I don't see how not being on them decreases his capability of hitting a ball.

I'm a little excited about the Cantu signing. Altough 2005 might have been a fluke, it is still some indication of what he might be capable of (unless he was on performance enhancing drugs at the time).

The ones that make you stronger? Or the ones that heal your body quicker? IMO neither of those improve your ability to hit the ball.... so he has shown he CAN do that. If you're suggesting he took HGH then and has stopped now, I guess he may be more of an injury liability now and not get in his at-bats. But, I don't see how not being on them decreases his capability of hitting a ball.

Huh?

Highest SLG prior to 2004: .408 (y2000). SLG in that 5 year period (1999-2003): .358.

Highest XB% prior to 2004: 37% (y2003). XB% in that 5 year peroid: 29%

Highest PA/HR prior to 2004: 53.6 (y2003). PA/HR in that 5 year period: 115

SLG from 2004-2005 (Age: 22, an extremely young age to experience a "power prime increase"): .517

XB% from 2004-2005: 44%

PA/HR from 2004-2005: 23.1

SLG in 2006: .403

XB% in 2006: 33%

PA/HR in 2006: 30.1

SLG in 2007: .390

XB% in 2007: 35%

PA/HR in 2007: 83.8

Not making a baseless accusation but the two year numbersfrom 2004-2005 look funny :whistle

from the sunsentinel:

Infielder Cantu agrees to terms with Marlins

By Juan C. Rodriguez | Sun-Sentinel.com

4:23 PM EST, January 4, 2008

As expected, the Marlins Friday completed a one-year minor-league deal with free agent infielder Jorge Cantu, who will compete with Jose Castillo for playing time at third base.

The team will officially announce Cantu and its other minor-league free agent signings, as well as its spring training invitees, this afternoon.

Cantu played in 359 games and had 1,299 at-bats of major league experience over the last four seasons. In 2005 he starred for the Tampa Rays, hitting .286 with 28 homers and 117 RBI as their starting second baseman. Cantu finished last season in the Reds organization and batted .298 with a homer, nine RBI and .382 on-base percentage in 27 games (57 at-bats) with the big league club.

Most of Cantu's major league time has come at second, but he has logged 594 1/3 innings at third and last season began working at first base.

Please let one of them be Juan Richardson :D

from the sunsentinel:

Infielder Cantu agrees to terms with Marlins

By Juan C. Rodriguez | Sun-Sentinel.com

4:23 PM EST, January 4, 2008

As expected, the Marlins Friday completed a one-year minor-league deal with free agent infielder Jorge Cantu, who will compete with Jose Castillo for playing time at third base.

The team will officially announce Cantu and its other minor-league free agent signings, as well as its spring training invitees, this afternoon.

Cantu played in 359 games and had 1,299 at-bats of major league experience over the last four seasons. In 2005 he starred for the Tampa Rays, hitting .286 with 28 homers and 117 RBI as their starting second baseman. Cantu finished last season in the Reds organization and batted .298 with a homer, nine RBI and .382 on-base percentage in 27 games (57 at-bats) with the big league club.

Most of Cantu's major league time has come at second, but he has logged 594 1/3 innings at third and last season began working at first base.

Please let one of them be Juan Richardson :D

Sorry to say that he was not among them!

I'll be happy with him if he does something close to a .260 average with 15+ homers and 70+ RBI's.

What I'll care about is his defense because from what I've heard its been shaky throughout his career. I still don't think our defense has been upgraded that much this off season. Replacing Cabrera with Cantu might not be an improvement and other than adding Maybin who shows potential to be a great centerfielder, and Rabelo, we haven't upgraded much. Maybe Cantu will shape up though and we won't have to sacrafice his bat by bringing in Castillo as a starter for the sake of defense.

I'll be happy with him if he does something close to a .260 average with 15+ homers and 70+ RBI's.

What I'll care about is his defense because from what I've heard its been shaky throughout his career. I still don't think our defense has been upgraded that much this off season. Replacing Cabrera with Cantu might not be an improvement and other than adding Maybin who shows potential to be a great centerfielder, and Rabelo, we haven't upgraded much. Maybe Cantu will shape up though and we won't have to sacrafice his bat by bringing in Castillo as a starter for the sake of defense.

I am not fooled one bit. Castillo will be manning third while Jacobs will be tested at the beginning of the season, and if he fails Jorge Cantu will serve as a stopgap for the rest of the season.

I am not fooled one bit. Castillo will be manning third while Jacobs will be tested at the beginning of the season, and if he fails Jorge Cantu will serve as a stopgap for the rest of the season.

I think you're on the money, Castillo is the third baseman until someone takes it away from him and Jacobs, has to know going into camp he has to prove he's earned the job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.