Dallas McPherson signed

Admin

Marlins signed third baseman Dallas McPherson to a one-year contract.

McPherson was non-tendered by the Angels after missing all of last season following back surgery, but is still just 27 years old and is certainly worth taking a flier on as a potential replacement for Miguel Cabrera. He'll compete with Jose Castillo and Jorge Cantu for playing time at third base and has the power potential to emerge with fantasy value at some point.

---RotoWorld.com

McPherson or no, I still think third base is Jose Castillo's job to lose.

As long as McPherson is healthy, I gotta go ahead and say you're crazy.

Right now it looks like Castillo's gonna be a nice backup infielder and Jorge Cantu is probably gonna be competing for a major-league contract from another team while he plays for us this spring.

Right now it looks like Castillo's gonna be a nice backup infielder and Jorge Cantu is probably gonna be competing for a major-league contract from another team while he plays for us this spring.

I agree. Think of McPherson as you would of Hermida. The talent is there, but injuries have gotten in the way.

I agree. Think of McPherson as you would of Hermida. The talent is there, but injuries have gotten in the way.

Very much so... If healthy I think we may be looking at a 30/100 steal.

ok...just curious...say the guy has a great first half...do we extend him during the season or after the season or if he has a good year is he as good as gone?

Isn't he still arbitration eligible? He doesn't have too much MLB service time...

i wasnt sure...thats why i figured i would find out...i mean if he has a great year...that comforts the blow of trading away a future hall of famer quite a bit

I loved the Cantu signing and I love this one even better. In Dallas and Jorge we have 2 guys who if they can put it together can end up being offensive threats; whichever one gets the shot of course. Hopefully the Gonzalez signing means Maybin can get a little more seasoning at AA and Ross starts in CF. This lineup has so much pop its unbelievable.