Olsen's velocity

Maybe I wasn't focused on it as much early on when he was getting such great results, but we all know his velocity has been down all season. Low K numbers also. Since the 8 inning start against Milwaukee he's been struggling. True he was probably pitching over his head in April, but now he's had 4 straight starts where he hasn't looked very good.

So now I'm getting a little concerned.

Big issue? Mountain out of a molehill?

Maybe I wasn't focused on it as much early on when he was getting such great results, but his velocity has been down all season. Low K numbers also. Since the 8 inning start against Milwaukee he's been struggling. True he was probably pitching over his head in April, but now he's had 4 straight starts where he hasn't looked very good.

So now I'm getting a little concerned.

Big issue? Mountain out of a molehill?

I think it's an issue...something is not right.

I think his early success in April probably caught the attention of alot of teams who knew they were going to face him. The scouting reports are out on him and teams know they can disrupt his rythm by stepping out in the middle of the count. It seems like as more batters face him, the more inclined they become to sit back and take a rip at the 85 mph fastball. Good to see that he has developed a changeup, but it will be useless if he doesn't have a decent fastball to go with it. The walks are also troubling. I think I heard a note that he leads the league in that category.

honestly, to me it doesn't even look like olsen is trying. he used to be a max effort guy but now its like he just lobbing it up there. i remember when he used to throw 91-93 easy. I also think that he might be hurt.

but its funny because i also noticed that even when he was pitching well he still wasn't throwing hard but his fastball has been clocked at 83 sometimes. this is weird.

Its not just Olsen. Miller wasn't throwing as hard last start either. Hendrickson, though a soft tosser, was throwing below his usual pace. Nolasco at times has had this problem. Something is wrong here. Maybe too much emphasis on trying to locate pitches and sacrificing too much velocity.

honestly, to me it doesn't even look like olsen is trying. he used to be a max effort guy but now its like he just lobbing it up there. i remember when he used to throw 91-93 easy. I also think that he might be hurt.

but its funny because i also noticed that even when he was pitching well he still wasn't throwing hard but his fastball has been clocked at 83 sometimes. this is weird.

Here comes that dirty word again:

Luck. That's what his early season success was.

Me and my cousin were talking about this the other day... scotty hasnt hit 90mph in his last 4-5 starts....

I went to his start against the Royals and i dont know how they didnt rip him for 10 runs....

It looked like he was throwing underhand....

What kind of luck did he have that he threw almost 10 MPH faster throughout the season. With that luck I'd win 20 million dollars! Luck doesn't dictate how fast you throw.

Its not just Olsen. Miller wasn't throwing as hard last start either. Hendrickson, though a soft tosser, was throwing below his usual pace. Nolasco at times has had this problem. Something is wrong here. Maybe too much emphasis on trying to locate pitches and sacrificing too much velocity.

i tend to agree with that...i think sometimes our pitchers tend to try and aim the ball a bit rather than windup and throw it. when you aim its like your pitching tentatively

Bah, if you want to say he'll wind up with a 4.90 ERA at the end of the year and April just happened to be when all the good starts occurred, that's fair enough. But Olsen still makes the pitches and they still have to hit them. How do stat guys even have luck in their vocabulary?

Olsen is what? 24 years old? He was once a top 100 prospect.

I don't think he's Mark Hendrickson, where we can say..."fluke start."

Olsen has always had potential. It's just his 3rd year, and he's been our best SP this year. The #'s still look solid for Scotty, aside from his K:BB ratio (b/c of the decrease in velocity).

What kind of luck did he have that he threw almost 10 MPH faster throughout the season. With that luck I'd win 20 million dollars! Luck doesn't dictate how fast you throw.

Huh? His velocity's been down all year.

Olsen has always had potential. It's just his 3rd year, and he's been our best SP this year. The #'s still look solid for Scotty, aside from his K:BB ratio (b/c of the decrease in velocity).

His success was flukey because he wasn't striking anyone out and was relying on the defense. A 2.5 ERA is unsustainable with 4 k/9 and a 1.5/1 K-BB ratio. Hendrickson's start is less flukey based on what he was actually doing on the field.

His success was flukey because he wasn't striking anyone out and was relying on the defense. A 2.5 ERA is unsustainable with 4 k/9 and a 1.5/1 K-BB ratio. Hendrickson's start is less flukey based on what he was actually doing on the field.

In case you didn't know, Scott Olsen has always been a ground ball pitcher.....

Actually, out of being a ground ball pitcher or a fly ball pitcher, scott olsen is a fly ball pitcher and it isn't even close. This year his GB% is 34.7% and on his career it's 40%. A ground ball pitcher is in the mid 60 range, nearly double what his is this year. Ground ball pitcher, scott olsen is not.

What he really is is a strike out pitcher. That's why he had success in 2006. That's why (among a mass of other things) he struggled in 2007. And that's why, now that all those warning track fly balls are turning into HRs, if he doesn't start striking people back out, he likely will not have a very good year. Pitching to contact is fine and all, pitchers can succeed pitching to contact, I'm not expressing a desire that every pitcher needs to strike players out or he won't be successful. However, in Scotty's case, unless he completely revamps his game, he needs to strike people out. When you're walking over 4 per 9...when his BABIP and LD% even out, that's going to be a sh*t load of base runners.

His near-CG SHO shows he can still get it done, and hopefully if he gets his velocity back he can turn back into that pitcher.

Sure.